•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron AVX Dec Motor not moving ?

equipment mount
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JayAstro

JayAstro

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:14 PM

Hi folks, 

While setting my AVX mount I got my CG5 GT and AVX declination cables mixed up and used the CG5-GT Dec cable on my AVX mount. When trying to move the Dec motor with the hand control, nothing was happening, so then I noticed that the cables were mixed up and went ahead and swapped them. Now, with the AVX dec cable in the motor still does nothing, no sounds or funny smell. Since the CG5-GT Dec cable has six wires and the AVX has eight, there is a possibility that the connections were miss-matched and current went to the wrong place. 

I have never opened the AVX before but wanted to get some suggestions for troubleshooting this. I already checked the cable for continuity with a multimeter and all pins are ok. and restarted the AVX a couple of times, removed the AC plug and waited a couple of hours. 

Your suggestions for further troubleshooting are appreciated 

Jay 

Edited by JayAstro, 21 October 2019 - 10:18 AM.

• retroman2 likes this

#2 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:25 PM

If you mean that you plugged the older six-pin cable into the newer eight-pin socket, then you most likely damaged the motor encoder, but it could possibility be the motor board.  If you have an older AVX with the six-pin DEC cable/sockets, then the CG-5 cable would have made no difference.

Your best bet at this point is try plugging the DEC motor into the RA port on the motor board.  If the DEC motor works on the RA port, then the motor board is likely damaged.  If the DEC motor still doesn't work on the RA port, then it is the motor that is most likely damaged.

• JayAstro likes this

#3 JayAstro

JayAstro

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:29 PM

My AVX is has the eight-pin socket. 

"Your best bet at this point is try plugging the DEC motor into the RA port on the motor board.  If the DEC motor works on the RA port, then the motor board is likely damaged.  If the DEC motor still doesn't work on the RA port, then it is the motor that is most likely damaged." Ok, I will give that a try.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics