•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Goto for TSA-120?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:03 AM

Hi,

I am moving to a TSA-120 as my primary visual only apo.  I'll be getting binoviewers down the road as well.

I want tracking and altaz is  preferable to me.  I want a lighter rig than my EQ6.   So far my best options seem to be ...

AZ Mount Pro

SW AZ-EQ5

My question is can they handle the TSA well?    The AZ Mount Pro looks a bit spindly to me in photos.

Anyone know which of these two would hold the scope better?

Any other suggestions?

Budget is flexible but < $2K.

I am also planning on a good tripod such as the Berlebach Planet.

Thx

#2 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:42 AM

Requirements: VISUAL ONLY / ALT/AZ /  UNDER $2K / TSA-120.

With diagonal, bino-veiwer, EP's, finder, etc. --- your going to be a 20#'s+.

Recommend the:  iOptron AZ Pro (with the 8" mini-tower).

Rated for 33#'s (primary) --- so at 20#'s you will be well within the "no problem - comfort zone" area with regards to weight.  Mount can be fully counterweighted for smooth operation.  The 8" mini-tower will allow 90 zenith viewing - no problem.  Tripod is solid with 2" diameter steel legs.  10hr. built-in lithium rechargeable battery - no messing with power-tank cables.  Built-in GPS, Wi-Fi, Blue Tooth.  Pretty much aligns itself...you don't have to load in ANY data.  Simple intuitive hand controller.  Super quiet.        

NEW - under $1,500. 

M11Mike

#3 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:09 PM

M11Mike,

Thanks.  Those features of the AZ Pro really look nice.   It seems you have one.  I assume you are a happy user?

#4 dr.who

dr.who

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:27 PM

The Skywatcher AZ-EQ5 will do a yeoman's job with the scope. Based on the numerous reports of problems here with all kinds of iOptron products I would be very cautious buying anything from iOptron if I were you. Do your research very thoroughly before doing so.  

In addition to the reports here, several of my friends had iOptron mounts. To give you an idea of what they went through: iOptron attempted to blame the owner saying he broke it, denied there was any problem at all with any of their mounts, ran the clock out on the warranty coverage by asking the owner to do a series of tests then told the owner that it was no longer covered, as well as other things. These were multiple owners and several of them faced all or some of the above. To be fair things have improved quite a bit at iOptron but based on this treatment as well as the reports of problems here I will personally never buy anything from iOptron. 

#5 Mazerski

Mazerski

Mariner 2

• ****-

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:09 PM

More of a footnote here:

Looking at EQ mounts and the sheer number of issues and complaints of iOptron mounts on CN is crazy and the complaints far outweigh those that received a mount in good working order. No thanks... I agree with Dr Who and will not consider anything iOptron makes no matter what the company claims.

• Tyson M likes this

#6 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:18 AM

Hmmm ... now I am thinking maybe a Digi II alt az instead

#7 Mazerski

Mazerski

Mariner 2

• ****-

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:03 AM

To,

I have the Planet and AYO Digi II -- there is no tracking and I use an 8" Astrograph and / or 8" Meade ACF (no refractor) at 99% night vision intensifier. Here's a couple photos. The ADM weight accessories act as a weight but also as center of gravity since the mount arms are short. My unit includes:

== Half Pillar (visible in photo) -- this can help prevent refractor from hitting tripod

== visible part of cable to Nexus DSC = 18" long (I asked for this)

== Handle (the photo is off the AYO site) 

== Losmandy Saddle -- AYO site calls them:

Surcharge for 2 x Losmandysaddle for AYOdigi II UL $248.-

There is no provision for adding flexible cables to move mount in either / both directions.

The mount is easy to move and for me it works well.

Both scopes fully loaded up weigh in around 20 and 21 pounds.

Attached Thumbnails

• ADM_1.JPG
  • AYO_Scopes.JPG
  • Handle.JPG

Edited by Mazerski, 22 October 2019 - 11:13 AM.

#8 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:04 PM

Hi Mazerski,

That looks sweet.  How does it handle for hand-tracking on planets at high mag? .... let's say > 200X?

#9 Mazerski

Mazerski

Mariner 2

• ****-

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:29 PM

Scope on right = 8” Meade ACF f/10 and f/7 with reducer so I look at Planets and Moon (with glass eyepiece), Globular clusters, Planetary Nebula and small Emission Nebula with night vision. 

At these higher f ratios I think a tracking mount is better but the optional handle that AYO sells helps moving as you can adjust the tension.

M13, M22 and M27 almost fill the FOV in the Meade at f/10 and moving the mount regardless of how smooth it is gets annoying vs. tracking. It’s a little better at f/7.

Note: due to planets being low in sky and my house in the way, I have done more viewing of DSOs

As a comparison, the scope on left is an 8” Astrograph at f/2.8 or f/4 (use 100% night vision) and the FOV is huge so moving the mount axis is not an issue except on say the Lagoon or the Omega nebulas due to how big the gas clouds are.

I don’t have a refractor but several CN users do and paired with the Digi II. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics