•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is new in binoculars (from a old codger who doesn't know)

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 revans

revans

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Fitchburg, MA

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:17 AM

Hi all,

I've had four binoculars.  The most used was a 7 x 35 with mediocre optics.  But it told me "exactly" where I was in the sky.  Then there is my oft used Meade 10 x 50 which is my go to now.  But I have a 15 x 80 which I bring out only when I travel to dark sky sites because it is too heavy to hold in light polluted skies anyway.  Not enough plus.  I had a pair of 4 inch 20x binoculars and they were marvelous on those trips to the rural out west and to upstate Vermont.  But they were so heavy.  Lovely aluminum box too.  But I gave them to a distant relative, a young man studying sea mammals on an ecology ship.  I hope they are of use to him.  But what is new.  Those image stabilizing ones didn't do much for me as I could always hold my binos leaning against the side of a building or a column or something and get the same effect.  What I'd be more interested in is image intensification.  Is all that secret squirrel stuff now... only military use and all that, or is there something amateurs can use in the US without getting into all that nonsense.  For telescope eyepieces that are image intensified you have to give away your first borne to buy one and they cost more than some used cars.

Rick

#2 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:50 AM

what's new?

-quality goes up in small jumps

-cost goes up in big jumps

-optics get bigger and bigger

otherwise more of the same

how do you plan to use them?

edj

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics