•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX50 with Tele Vue Pront and EP's

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pleavy

pleavy

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:18 AM

I have the chance to buy a LX50 with tripod and wedge on wheelies with a what looks to be a 76mm Tele Vue Pronto and a variety of 1.25" and 2" EP's by Meade. The seller said all the electronics work. All for $500, is this a good deal? Don't really need it, but thinking of buying it for a few of the EP and then sell the rest, everything is as old as the scope. Also looks to have the electronic focuser also.

Attached Thumbnails

• meade.jpg
  • meade 2.jpg

#2 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Terra Nova Observatory

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:36 AM

That finder is definitely NOT a Pronto.

• deepwoods1 and Augustus like this

#3 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Viking 1

• Loc: Canada

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:48 AM

The Tele Vue Pronto is a 70mm ED doublet. The Tele Vue 76 is a 76mm APO doublet. The little finder in the picture doesn't look like either of them. Neither does it look like a Tele Vue 60. I'm not sure what it is.

Pronto: http://www.company7....cs/tvpronto.gif

TV 76: http://www.company7....s/tv76rside.jpg

TV 60: http://www.televue.c.../pTV60_tv3b.jpg

$500 for an old used 8" SCT is maybe a bit on the high side (although this one seems to have lots of extras).. If it's the 10" version, then that's a decent deal. This is assuming the scope is in good shape and the optics are decent.

Let us know what you decide to do! smile.gif

Rick

• Augustus likes this

#4 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:17 AM

Looks like one of the old Lumicon 70mm finders.

Personally, I would not pay that much for it. Maybe $350.

• terraclarke and Augustus like this

#5 pleavy

pleavy

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:33 AM

Talked to the owner, and he is willing to go to $400, now the Tele Vue is not pictured, he said the scope comes with the big 10 inch sct, tripod and as pictured, all the EP's and another bigger scope in the soft case, which is the Tele Vue.

• Don W and Augustus like this

#6 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:36 AM

If it's a 10" and the Pronto is included, it's a good deal!! The OTA, Pronto and eyepieces are easily worth that much if the electronics are dead.

• bbqediguana and Augustus like this

#7 pleavy

pleavy

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:40 AM

Yes, the Pronto, all the EP's, and it is a 10 inch SCT and the electronics work. The seller was going to load the tripod in the back of his truck and strap it down, I said it would be better to remove the OTA and fork off the tripod and place them in the back seat, told him it wasn't a good idea to transport it like that, delicate optics and electronics.

• Don W likes this

#8 pleavy

pleavy

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:47 PM

What a day, the seller thought a Tele Vue EP on a Celestron diagonal was a telescope. So no Tele Vue Pronto, just a case and the instruction manual signed by Al Nagler. Though I did get the whole set up for $300, 10" Meade LX50, wedge and tripod with electronics, plus in included a Tele Vue Nagler 9mm made in Taiwan ROC, a Tele Vue 20mm Plossl, Celestron focal reducer, Meade Super 2" Super wide Angles in 32mm and 40mm, Meade 2" Super Plossl 55mm, a Meade 1.25" Super Wide Angle 24.5 and then Meade 1.25" Super Plossls in 8.7 mm, 12.4mm, 15mm, and 20mm, and all of the Meade's are made in Japan, no China EP. Also had Meade 2" Ultra Wide Angle 14mm but the glass on eyepiece doublet was cloudy, seems the glue was having issues.

• bbqediguana likes this

#9 pleavy

pleavy

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:48 PM

The collection of Eyepieces.

Attached Thumbnails

• lens.jpg

• deepwoods1, TSSClay, bbqediguana and 2 others like this

#10 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:35 PM

I’d say you did well, especially if the electronics work! I paid more than that for mine with working electronics and no eyepieces. I’ve found it a very nice scope. Nicknamed “Back breaker blue”.

#11 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:36 AM

The finder is a Tuthill 80mm.  Used the same objective lens and Kellner eyepiece as the 11x80 binoculars of the time.

Dave

• bbqediguana likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics