•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

10 inch dob too heavy?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#51 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 28 October 2019 - 06:14 AM

Me, too, Jon. Same same. Seeing your picture above, I got the impression you carried the whole scope at once. Is that a 12"? You brute! smile.gif

That was my 12.5 inch. The photo is about 20 years old and was a staged photo OP. I never actually moved it that way.. 

Jon

• Asbytec likes this

#52 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northport, NY

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:36 AM

That was my 12.5 inch. The photo is about 20 years old and was a staged photo OP. I never actually moved it that way.. 

Jon

Jon, I was wondering what size that was. It looks pretty big. Is that the same scope I've seen you post as a truss dob? I think I remember reading you had one converted.

I've seen a 12" solid tube next to my 8" and I would never attempt to move it in one piece unless it had wheels. My XT8 is easy. It's 42lbs and the base has cutouts that work perfectly as handles. I'm just carrying it out of the garage so no narrow passageways to negotiate. And you're right, I don't like taking it off of the base and putting it back on in the dark. If it were any heavier I'm sure I would make the 2 trips and save my back.

John

• Jon Isaacs and Bonco2 like this

#53 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:44 AM

My XT8 is easy. It's 42lbs and the base has cutouts that work perfectly as handles.

Sometimes I'll grab my assembled 8" scope and move it a very short distance using the same technique for the same reason. Usually to find more solid ground for it or me to sit on. 

Edited by Asbytec, 28 October 2019 - 09:45 AM.

• NYJohn S likes this

#54 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Virginia

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:16 AM

I find moving the 10 inch once assembled is not much fun. Like if I had to move it around the yard. 

While the 10 has worked out for me in a few different situations (it turns out to be very good for night vision), I think an 8 inch F6 is a more reasonable scope for most situations. I mean, sure, the 10 inch probably does better on DSOs, but I'm not sure it's worth the heft. And being a fast scope it makes it a bit tricky for coma and eyepieces. 

It's always hard finding that sweet spot for your largest scope. But for me, above 10 it's going to be truss. And of all the different telescope types, I find above 8 it's going to be a Newtonian. The 8 inch SCT is as large an SCT as I would want. And for refractors, 5 inches is as big as I would go. 

Now, as to what size truss scope...I think this is a difficult decision. I was thinking 16 inch. But now I'm thinking maybe that's a bit much. And that may depend on some factors such as mirror thickness, structure weight, etc. I mean, if I was looking at a 12 inch truss it's just too close to my 10 to be worth it. So I'm think 14 is probably the minimum that would be worth it. Since I'm doing a lot of night vision, I'd want an F4 scope most likely.

• Sarkikos likes this

#55 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 October 2019 - 11:40 AM

I find moving the 10 inch once assembled is not much fun. Like if I had to move it around the yard. 

While the 10 has worked out for me in a few different situations (it turns out to be very good for night vision), I think an 8 inch F6 is a more reasonable scope for most situations. I mean, sure, the 10 inch probably does better on DSOs, but I'm not sure it's worth the heft. And being a fast scope it makes it a bit tricky for coma and eyepieces. 

It's always hard finding that sweet spot for your largest scope. But for me, above 10 it's going to be truss. And of all the different telescope types, I find above 8 it's going to be a Newtonian. The 8 inch SCT is as large an SCT as I would want. And for refractors, 5 inches is as big as I would go. 

Now, as to what size truss scope...I think this is a difficult decision. I was thinking 16 inch. But now I'm thinking maybe that's a bit much. And that may depend on some factors such as mirror thickness, structure weight, etc. I mean, if I was looking at a 12 inch truss it's just too close to my 10 to be worth it. So I'm think 14 is probably the minimum that would be worth it. Since I'm doing a lot of night vision, I'd want an F4 scope most likely.

I was thinking of going to the 10" solid tube but you're making me reconsider. I do a lot of moving around during a typical session to work around trees. Maybe a truss is a better option for me. Then I may be able to go to a 12" which would probably be a better step up from the 8".

#56 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2019 - 02:10 PM

I wouldn't say it can't be moved, but it's super awkward for me. I pretty much have to bear hug it and moving large distances is not great.

There are options out there for dollies or other methods for moving the scopes.

For me right now it doesn't really matter. I live on the side of a hill, so I can only set it up in the front yard right now. I would like to make a nice pad in the back yard, but even if I do, my house and my neighbor's houses block a good amount of the southern sky...where a good amount of the best objects are. So while I don't have trees anymore, I still have quite a bit of moving around I have to do. 

I've found my best scenario is using my grab and go scopes alt/az either on the front porch or my deck in the back. Deck isn't good for anything higher power, but for night vision it seems to be OK. 

I'll probably setup a pad in the back anyways just to have a nicer setup back there. Adjusting tripod legs are not much fun to me.

• gene 4181 and NYJohn S like this

#57 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2019 - 02:12 PM

This will give you an idea of what it is like in the back yard. North, east, west is not too bad. Though the western sky is a bit limited by the top of the hill.

C8 nightvision

• NYJohn S likes this

#58 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:00 AM

I agree with pretty much everything in your post.  waytogo.gif  

But I differ on the largest refractor I'd bother with.  Yes, I think 5" is the largest I'd go for an APO/ED.  But a 6" f/5 achro is very manageable if you don't mind the CA.  Just put in a field flattener and never look at Jupiter.

grin.gif

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 29 October 2019 - 08:01 AM.

#59 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:50 AM

Oh man. A 6 inch f5 could be killer for night vision. I'll have to keep my eye open for one of those.
  • Sarkikos likes this

#60 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:40 AM

Jon, I was wondering what size that was. It looks pretty big. Is that the same scope I've seen you post as a truss dob? I think I remember reading you had one converted.

I've seen a 12" solid tube next to my 8" and I would never attempt to move it in one piece unless it had wheels. My XT8 is easy. It's 42lbs and the base has cutouts that work perfectly as handles. I'm just carrying it out of the garage so no narrow passageways to negotiate. And you're right, I don't like taking it off of the base and putting it back on in the dark. If it were any heavier I'm sure I would make the 2 trips and save my back.

John

John:

That is the same 12.5 inch F/4.06 Discovery Dob that I converted into a truss Dob. 

I know what you mean about the solid tube 12 inchers looking big. Every time I see a 12 inch F/5 Dob I'm surprised. This one is shorter so it's not quite so big. The three bears:

5875198-3bears2.jpg

The 10 inch F/5, the 12.5 inch F/4.06 and the XT-8. I still have first two.

Jon

• Asbytec, NYJohn S and AaronF like this

#61 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 30 October 2019 - 05:32 AM

That is one sexy 12" solid tube, though. 

• Jon Isaacs and Javier1978 like this

#62 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 October 2019 - 06:53 AM

I like it too. Being F/4.06 makes it look more manageable compared to the typical F/5 12”. I think that’s why I was having trouble determining the size in the first photo.

Edited by NYJohn S, 30 October 2019 - 07:31 AM.

• Asbytec likes this

#63 Joe Eiers

Joe Eiers

Viking 1

• Loc: Arcata, Ca.

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:13 PM

I have a large heavy truss 20" that has wheel barrow handles on it... I keep it ready to go in the garage.  It's super portable and easy to move around, my back loves it.  Even better my lovely wife splits the work in setting it up initially and taking it down, a big help.   Wheels, wheels, wheels!   

I have a C14 as well.. there are great posts on how to mount it the "easy" way...  I also have my wife that splits the duty!

:)

DON'T HURT YOURSELF!!  Use physics to help you save our "old" bodies...

Joe

• Bonco2, gene 4181 and NYJohn S like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics