•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Buyer's Remorse Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 kel123

kel123

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:00 PM

I once bought a doublet only to regret it two days later while the scope was still on its way. The reason was that a triplet with not much difference in price was released and the aperture and focal length were exactly the same.

I also once bought a 5 position electronic filter only to conclude I should have just go on and added just a hundred dollars and bought the 8 position variation. This was after I took delivery

I wonder if I am the only one this happens to or can someone else relate to this as it concerns this hobby.

#2 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:04 PM

I bought an AZ3 on sale, and regretted it because it was rubbish. It ended up in a skip (dumpster).

• HellsKitchen and AaronF like this

#3 Astroman007

Astroman007

Cosmos

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:10 PM

No!

I only buy what I know I'll truly need or what I truly want. No impulse buying, no regrets. And only ever quality.

• F.Meiresonne, Defenderslideguitar and Hobiemark like this

#4 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:14 PM

Bought a slightly used ES AR102 for $225 and it was a big disappointment optically due to CA. Very nice mechanically but way too heavy for the aperture and comfortable grab-and-go. I wound up with a "low end starter" Meade Infinity 102, F/6 refractor for $100 (with alt-az mount!) and it is 1/3 the weight the AR102 and the optics are totally superior w.r.t. CA. Use it for wide field viewing with a 2", 30mm eyepiece with a 70* AFOV. 

Frank

• Vesper818, cookjaiii and AstroKerr like this

#5 Diana N

Diana N

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:15 PM

Alas, buyer's remorse isn't rare.  Sometimes it happens because the item isn't quite right for the job, sometimes it happens because the buyer didn't fully understand his or her true needs.  Careful research of a potential purchase can help reduce the chances of experiencing buyer's remorse, but the only sure cure is simply never to buy anything (which is a bit extreme).

I have at least one (possibly two) telescopes I regret buying.  They're good scopes, too, but not quite right for me anymore.  I'll probably sell at least one of them eventually.

#6 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:25 PM

That's the thing.  Knowledge and tastes evolve, so what was a "perfect" buy awhile ago might cause remorse today.

I've never regretted any purchase all that soon after receiving it though.

#7 phillipsrs

phillipsrs

Lift Off

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:27 PM

This is a trick question isn't it .....lol.gif

• Stelios and Joe1950 like this

#8 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:29 PM

sml_gallery_249298_5348_25560.jpg

I regret buying this 90mm 'Omegon' Maksutov. I originally wanted the 90mm Orion, but this was a bit faster. Unfortunately it was also pants. The Orion and Omegon were basically the same price. I bought the Orion soon after. 

#9 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:30 PM

When I decide to buy something, more than a trivial purchase astro or otherwise, I put it on my 'list'.  Amazingly many things disappear from that 'list'. Iff the item remains on the 'list' for some time (generally determined by cost) I go ahead and buy it.  No impulse buys or remorse.

• jjack's and jcj380 like this

#10 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:41 PM

I bet I wouldn't regret buying some hindsight binoculars lol.

• Don Taylor, jcj380, elrod and 1 other like this

#11 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:49 PM

Sure of course! I have some!

I had aperture fever.

Learned real quick that if you want volume of use in all respects it doesn't come with a bigger scope.

Very best,

• Asbytec, Shorty Barlow, elrod and 1 other like this

#12 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:50 PM

Most things have worked out well for me. There are a couple starter items, LXD55 and Rev Imager, that were really intended for learning and then eventually upgrade to what I really want (after figuring out what that is). So those purchases served a purpose even if I don’t still use/have them. Yes I did pay $85 for an Agena 38mm SWA only to upgrade to a 42LVW later, but it tided me by until I got a deal on the LVW for $150 off. Similar situation with my 100ED which I replaced with a ED103S. Everyone has to start somewhere, and the starter equipment buys you time to shop deals, and the starter equipment still has some resale value.

I suppose my bird-Jones reflector would qualify though.

Another aspect of buyers remorse. Recently picked up three used lenses, planning to sell two to help pay for the third. Then turns out one of the ones I was planning to sell is really good. Shoot what do I do now?

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 21 October 2019 - 06:56 PM.

#13 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:12 PM

For some reason... I never later regret any decisions... doesn't seem to be on my menu of emotions. Even re' purchases... if I buy something that turns out to be wrong or junky etc. I (most often) just throw it out, don't even bother to return it. Like the nifty sounding BNIB "adjustable" 2-inch 99% Dielectric Star Diagonal... which turned out to be so far misaligned that it couldn't be brought in using the three screws... and only passed 89% of the light. The lost time got me miffed, but buying it was only a ~Meh!~ experience. I've hauled a lot of optics to the Town Dump!

Then there was that brand new 1958 Ford Edsel. I never drove it, just left it in storage for thirty years, and finally threw it out, to make room for the Yugo, which has also sat there, unused... for thirty years. Guess it's time to throw it out.     Tom

#14 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:24 PM

Bought a slightly used ES AR102 for $225 and it was a big disappointment optically due to CA. Very nice mechanically but way too heavy for the aperture and comfortable grab-and-go. I wound up with a "low end starter" Meade Infinity 102, F/6 refractor for $100 (with alt-az mount!) and it is 1/3 the weight the AR102 and the optics are totally superior w.r.t. CA. Use it for wide field viewing with a 2", 30mm eyepiece with a 70* AFOV. 

Frank

Funny, as I came to talk about my purchase

In December, I ordered an ES AR102, and when it arrived, I slapped the return sticker on it without even opening the box to look at it. For the price, a used 100ED was well in reach and I couldn’t justify, as I’ve been bitten by the ED glass, having a faster achro. Needless to say a couple days later a used 100ED showed up at my door. 

#15 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Mariner 2

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:25 PM

Sellers remorse. That is my problem.

• Jon Isaacs, grif 678, Noisykids and 4 others like this

#16 wrvond

wrvond

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:29 PM

For some reason... I never later regret any decisions... doesn't seem to be on my menu of emotions. Even re' purchases... if I buy something that turns out to be wrong or junky etc. I (most often) just throw it out, don't even bother to return it. Like the nifty sounding BNIB "adjustable" 2-inch 99% Dielectric Star Diagonal... which turned out to be so far misaligned that it couldn't be brought in using the three screws... and only passed 89% of the light. The lost time got me miffed, but buying it was only a ~Meh!~ experience. I've hauled a lot of optics to the Town Dump!

Then there was that brand new 1958 Ford Edsel. I never drove it, just left it in storage for thirty years, and finally threw it out, to make room for the Yugo, which has also sat there, unused... for thirty years. Guess it's time to throw it out.     Tom

Going to replace it with a Nissan Cube?  lol.gif

#17 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Skylab

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:51 PM

Like someone once said to me, “I’m not rich enough to buy cheap crap”. I’ve had a pretty good run by buying quality in the first place and don’t have any regrets.

• GlenM, ngc6352, kevint1 and 4 others like this

#18 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:25 PM

Going to replace it with a Nissan Cube?  lol.gif

Now that's a peculiar car! Not bilaterally-symmetric and other artsy manifestations. Like someone got creative and management inexplicably picked up on it. Maybe some boss's kid getting pushed up the ladder? Hmmm... Edsel all over again?    Tom

• BravoFoxtrot likes this

#19 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:57 AM

Sure of course! I have some!

I had aperture fever.

Learned real quick that if you want volume of use in all respects it doesn't come with a bigger scope.

Very best,

I don't regret buying my 9.25" Evolution, I do regret it doesn't get out so much lol.

#20 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:47 AM

Sellers remorse. That is my problem.

Buyer and Sellers remorse here:

I always wanted an ETX90 due to the compact size and the idealistic image that grew in my mind for years. I found a pristine one for sale at good price in Demnark with all equipment, case, deluxe tripod, eyepieces, filters etc etc... without hesitation i bought it.  Just from its first light all the aura disappeared as i realized that it was really difficult to manage the narrow field and the horrible finder. So, after 2 years without use, i sold it for less money that i paid.....

But being CAT-less I regret the sale because i really wanted a very compact planetary scope and i started to search for another ETX, and i found one in regular condition with broken finder holder, so, i bought it again.  With the previous experience, i tried to use it as much as possible with regular results but frustration came again.  The last nail in the coffin was that I bought a 63mm Zeiss refractor that beats the Mak in all aspects -except portability- Therefore, this second mak is for sale too. 

I realize that i am wide field guy and i am done with small maks. i just need to find a travel scope, but it will be a refractor  for sure.

Carlos

#21 Spikey131

Spikey131

Viking 1

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:50 AM

If you want to make a study of buyers remorse, just look at the classifieds.  I am amazed how many people are selling equipment that they bought within the past year or two.

• Diana N and wrvond like this

#22 wrvond

wrvond

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:52 AM

I've been married four times, I absolutely have buyer's remorse! fingertap.gif

• F.Meiresonne, ArizonaScott, Corcaroli78 and 2 others like this

#23 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:19 AM

When I decide to buy something, more than a trivial purchase astro or otherwise, I put it on my 'list'.

I've seen where that's used as a budgeting technique.  Sort of like decluttering by putting / leaving things in sealed boxes.  If you don't open the box within a year, you toss it.

#24 Diana N

Diana N

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:38 AM

If you want to make a study of buyers remorse, just look at the classifieds.  I am amazed how many people are selling equipment that they bought within the past year or two.

I think a lot of that is that in the absence of true telescope stores, people can't figure out what equipment truly suits them except by purchasing it and trying it out.  And if they bought the wrong thing, selling it used is their only option.  (The other part, of course is that astronomy is a difficult hobby and there's no telescope that will do all the work for you, any more than there are binoculars which will do all the work of bird location and identification for a beginning birder.)

• SECTOR 001 likes this

#25 Ac2aj

Ac2aj

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:54 AM

I’m having a little buyers remorse on something I haven’t even bought yet. I’m second on a list for a Televue Apollo 11 eyepiece when they finally come out. I know it’s going to be at least 1000.00 and I keep thinking do I really need to spend a grand if not more on an 11mm eyepiece? I’m going to do it because it’s not something I want to pass up owning but it’s not easy though.

Brian
  • wrvond likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics