•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hypertuned EQ6R-Pro

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MakNewtMan

MakNewtMan

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:18 PM

This is more of a shout out to Ed at Deep Space products.  I sent in my mount to be hypertuned by Ed and I gotta just say I am more than pleased with the results.  The mount is quiter and far smoother in it's movements.  Also, the backlash is almost non existent now.  My guiding is even better now.  If you are considering this service on a mount like mine don't hesitate.  It is certainly well worth it.  Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this but thought it could be useful for someone on the fence about having their mount hypertuned.  Clear Skies!

#2 Wintermute

Wintermute

Vostok 1

• Loc: Ramona, CA

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:25 PM

Agreed, before mine was so tight it made balancing difficult; it seemed like I could move my counterweight almost an inch before it would affect balance. After a hypertune @ Deep Space Products just putting on the toe saver will have a noticeable effect on things! 

#3 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:52 AM

Ed (Cloudy Nights username EFT) is also active and helpful on these forums.  

The above just in case somebody here needed another way to contact him.

#4 Paul Garais

Paul Garais

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sendenhorst, Germany

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:27 PM

So what is involved in this "hypertuning" process? Just tightening/loosening the right bolts?
I am interested to get the max out of my mount. But not willing to send it from Germany to the U.S.A. ;)

— Paul

#5 Pauls72

Pauls72

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:48 PM

The Hypertune/Supertune is an addendum to the tear down guide. It's a matter of cleaning, replacing worn parts, polishing, relubricating, adjusting, shimming everything to put it in near perfict tolerance. Not hard if you have mechanical abilities, but it does take some time.

http://www.astro-bab... Tune Guide.php

http://www.astro-bab...p Down Home.htm

• Paul Garais likes this

#6 sammyjankis

sammyjankis

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:50 AM

Just as a general word of advice to anyone thinking of having their mount hyper/super/stellartuned in another country and has the business arrange shipping, make sure that your mount is insured to its actual value and insist that the business immediately lodges a claim if the mount arrives damaged. Otherwise you might end up with a mount that is significantly worse than before you sent it in.

Also make sure to do plenty of research first. I can't speak about Ed at Deep Space Products, but I certainly had a regretful experience with another business in the same line of work. Beware of promotional material that seems too good to be true as many of the promises made in them aren't delivered on (baseline and post-tune performance data, etc.). Search forums for other customers and see how happy they ended up, and whether or not the advertised 2-3 week return is met (in my case, it was actually 9 weeks on both occasions it was sent in).

My experience in trying to get my EQ6 mount tuned almost ended up destroying my interest in this hobby. Now I have a brand new EQ8-R (well, the tripod at least, the mount should arrive tomorrow hopefully) and a large and expensive paperweight.

Edited by sammyjankis, 23 October 2019 - 01:55 AM.

• EFT likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics