•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Information on Vintage Meade 56 mm Super Plossls

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pleavy

pleavy

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:45 PM

I have two Meade 56 mm Super Plossls, and one is old, one is a little newer, both are in great condition, does anyone have any info an either one, and which one would one keep? The one on the left I just picked up, the one on the right I have had for awhile, but need to get rid of one. Thanks everyone.

Attached Thumbnails

• plossl35.jpg

Edited by pleavy, 21 October 2019 - 07:19 PM.

• Terra Nova and bbqediguana like this

#2 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:53 PM

I would keep the smooth side.   Worked great in my SCT's .

Edited by CHASLX200, 21 October 2019 - 06:54 PM.

#3 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:18 PM

Whichever one makes it easier to find the right spacing for the long eye relief.  I doubt that would be the smooth sided one.  I don't care much for eyepieces without eyecups.

I would expect the one that is more enclosed and longer to do a better job at shielding from ambient glare, which is useful feature for diffuse nebulae, esp. with filters.

The best way to figure out which is best is to use them both.  If one has a major flaw (ghost/internal reflections, odd aberrations, etc.), that should reveal it. 

• deepwoods1 and agmoonsolns like this

#4 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Ranger 4

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:52 PM

The smoothie is the more desirable 5 element. The one with the eyecup is a symmetrical. I'd keep whichever works best for you, but if you don't have a preference and they're in similar condition, the 5 element is worth more.

#5 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:29 PM

Keep the smoothie.   You can always make an eye up with rubber tubing 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics