•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

lx200 gps problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 No1umfan

No1umfan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:25 PM

i have a 15 year old (i think, time flies) LX200 GPS. always worked flawlessly until the main control board flaked out. so i ordered a new one from meade and ever since i can not get this to do a proper alignment. first of all it will not keep the date after powering off although other parameters like utc-offset and location are saved. i checked the 2032 battery and its good. I have to enter the current date every time and then the telescope always slews to an alignment star that is below the horizon. if i get it to go to a star that is actually visible and run the alignment routine something is way off because if i tell it to, for example, slew to jupitor it tells me that jupitor rises at some particular time and it wont slew to it even though it is obviousy visible in the sky. HELP!!

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:13 PM

1. You shouldn't have to enter the date if the GPS is turned on. Probably time is also off, which is why it is going to the wrong star. Make sure the GPS is turned on.

2. If you haven't updated the firmware, there is a GPS bug that makes the system think it is many years off. Update the firmware to the latest 4.2L.

#3 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:28 PM

Sounds like the GPS rollover bug. Updating the firmware should fix it. Plan-B; enter the time and date manually.

#4 decep

decep

Vostok 1

• Loc: Griffin, Georgia

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:58 AM

If you enter your time, date, and timezone manually, please do not forget there is a second timezone setting in the site.  Its easy to miss if you do not scroll past latitude and longitude.

#5 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:29 AM

Moved to  Meade Computerized Telescopes for better fit of topic.

#6 iwannabswiss

iwannabswiss

Viking 1

• Loc: Charleston SC

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:47 PM

You may need to do an firmware update because of the GPS bug; you will also need to manually update daylight savings time and the UTC offset.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics