•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

3D Picatinny adapter for APM 100mm is now available

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tomb18

tomb18

Vendor - AstroRotor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:31 PM

Hi,

I was looking for the options to have a laser sight on my APM 100mm binoculars and found that pretty well all of them used a so called Picatinny rail.  I searched around and didn't find any adapters for the APM 100mm binoculars so I thought why not make one.  Here is the result: 

https://www.tinkerca...m100-binoculars

You can download the model and modify it or you can just get the STL file and print it.  It is best to turn on supports in your slicer.  Be sure to print it right side up.  For some reason the model at tinkercad is upside down.

I designed this to allow use of the handle as well.

Hope you enjoy.

Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• pica1.jpg
  • pica2.jpg

Edited by tomb18, 21 October 2019 - 07:33 PM.

• Goodchild, SMark, Pinac and 1 other like this

#2 tomb18

tomb18

Vendor - AstroRotor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:53 PM

Here is a picture with a super compact laser tac green laser. Weighs nothing...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_29102019_225003_(1080_x_1920_pixel).jpg

#3 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 30 October 2019 - 02:17 AM

Is there much wiggle? I made a few of my own design, thought about adding a ridge to engage with the groove in the handle, works if tightened down, but pointing would need adjusting every time it was mounted. I left my mount at home and found that resting a laser in the handheld groove works quite well and allows you to keep the laser warm in your pocket.

Good looking colour coordinated print!

PEter

#4 tomb18

tomb18

Vendor - AstroRotor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:06 AM

Hi

This particular laser has a bolt for tightening the rail. This bolt acts as a stop and therefore when you slide it on, it butts up against the rail. My testing indoors, shows that putting it on and off, it maintains the alignment. Cant test outdoors, since once I got it it has been raining constantly. Typical....

You can also mount it upside down if I had made the rail a half inch longer. Then it would never need removal.

Tom

#5 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:20 AM

Picatinny standard also specifies cross slots for clamp bolts. In your photo, it looks like you have the optic mounted way forward so the clamp bolt can clear the top of the rail, that is what the slots are for. This clamp configuration won't be very repeatable due to the limited contact. The picatinny standard is very repeatable when consistent torque is used, often repeatable to better than .5 minutes of angle. 

#6 tomb18

tomb18

Vendor - AstroRotor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:24 PM

Hi,

Good to know.  I will add these to the STL.  They are there, just hidden. That explains a lot.

#7 tomb18

tomb18

Vendor - AstroRotor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:56 PM

The model has been updated for the slots. You can just ungroup and delete them if you dont want them. Thanks for the tip. It is more solid now.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_31102019_185556_(1080_x_1920_pixel).jpg

• PGW Steve likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics