•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

When the temperature meets the dewpoint...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TerryD23

TerryD23

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Northeast PA

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:10 PM

Well, that's exactly what happened to me for the first time tonight. (Talk about being a newbie!) I was in my yard tonight for just the second time with my new (used) Sky Watcher 120 ProED and bamm! The temp converged with the dew point and all of a sudden everything was wet.

Clearly I need to do some research and decide what heat system to get but my question for this post has more to deal with a wet scope and eyepieces. 

What is the best way to deal with wet equipment? Seems to me that once you bring everything back into a warm house, all eyepiece caps should come off and allow them to dry naturally. Scope caps should not be put on until the equipment warms up and is allowed to dry naturally. Only then should the caps be put back on and equipment stored as usual. 

But is that the right approach? Should they be first wiped down? If so, is there a special lens fluid that should be used?

Also, is there a (safe) anti-fog pre-treatment?

I realize this is a basic question but I'm curious if the more experienced members approach this another way.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

#2 BoldlyGoing

BoldlyGoing

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Winter Springs, Florida

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:40 PM

Speaking as an imager in super-humid Florida...

Yeah, you need dew heater strips and maybe even a dew shield as well. But to answer your question, the usual advice is to leave the caps off and let the dew evaporate during the day.

If you're looking for a cheap way to go with dew heaters, I've been using this with good results: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01A82UPLS  No controller needed, and runs on standard 12V power.

• TerryD23 likes this

#3 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Viking 1

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:04 PM

Do NOT wipe the optics! Just let them dry.

Chris

• TerryD23 likes this

#4 Dynan

Dynan

Gemini

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:27 PM

A blow dryer can be a good friend. Be careful around lenses.

#5 Creedence

Creedence

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:31 PM

Speaking as an imager in super-humid Florida...

Yeah, you need dew heater strips and maybe even a dew shield as well. But to answer your question, the usual advice is to leave the caps off and let the dew evaporate during the day.

If you're looking for a cheap way to go with dew heaters, I've been using this with good results: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01A82UPLS No controller needed, and runs on standard 12V power.

I don’t have anything constructive to add that hasn’t been said yet, but I had to laugh at this. I’m babysitting the rig while it’s imaging right now in Sarasota and I am drenched. I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen humidity like this and it hasn’t been socked in with fog. I’ve got the dew heaters on overdrive right now, but everything that doesn’t have a dew heater on it (myself included) is absolutely soaked. The hairdryer is useless on my equipment tonight.

On the bright side, I can’t remeber seeing the sky so settled; and with no moon, it’s nice and dark. Once the moon comes up though, I’m sure it’s going to absolutely wash out the entire sky with all the moisture in the air.

Go heavy on the dew heaters and leave the covers off the objective when you bring it in.

#6 jeffmac

jeffmac

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Triad area, NC

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:25 PM

Dry down the outside of your scope thoroughly. When you take it into the house, do not take off the caps from your scope. This will let unwanted dust into your scope. Leave the caps on and let it warm up slowly. I do not take the caps off of my eyepieces, either. (except when I am looking through them or cleaning them) smile.gif I've never had any problems.
  • TerryD23 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics