•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Viewing astrophotos on a cell phone: stretching the stars?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BoldlyGoing

BoldlyGoing

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Winter Springs, Florida

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:18 PM

After viewing a photo I just made on Facebook and Google Photos on my cell phone, I concluded that my star shapes are hopelessly elongated and my imaging rig is a lost cause. Which was odd, because I didn't notice that while processing the image on my PC.

And, viewing the image again on my PC, the stars are pretty darn round.

What's up with that? Do some cell phones stretch images in unnatural ways? I've got a Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus, which has an extra-long screen... so I wonder if it's actually stretching things when displaying them. Or... maybe it's my PC monitor that's wrong! Or, perhaps phones are somehow less forgiving when it comes to the shapes of your stars.

Most people view photos on their phones these days, so it would kind of suck if this were the current trend in how phones display images. Has anyone else noticed this?

Edited by BoldlyGoing, 21 October 2019 - 08:22 PM.

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Vanguard

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:25 PM

Most people view photos on their phones that were *created* on phones...so the aspect ratio isn't manipulated by the phone.

Web sites (like Google photos) do it -- usually your phone doesn't.

Pretty sure there's a setting in Google photos to not "fit" photos to the display device...but I can't recall where it is!

• BoldlyGoing likes this

#3 BoldlyGoing

BoldlyGoing

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Winter Springs, Florida

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:33 PM

Well, that would explain why it looks fine in Google Photos on the web, but not on my phone.

So, is it best practice to crop our photos to 16:9 aspect ratio before posting them online, in order to avoid devices stretching them to fit the display?

#4 B 26354

B 26354

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:19 PM

Personally, it's always baffled me why anyone would want to look at any photograph on a phone... let alone one that involved thousands of dollars worth of equipment to take it, and a zillion hours using insanely complex software to process it.

shrug.gif

• OldManSky likes this

#5 OldManSky

OldManSky

Vanguard

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:25 AM

Well, that would explain why it looks fine in Google Photos on the web, but not on my phone.

So, is it best practice to crop our photos to 16:9 aspect ratio before posting them online, in order to avoid devices stretching them to fit the display?

I wouldn't do that (and I don't).  Up to you if you want to :)

#6 Jcwillis4

Jcwillis4

Vostok 1

• Loc: Plano, TX

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:23 AM

I only crop for the phone when posting to Instagram, but I do that in the app itself.  One big thing for Facebook: post your photos from your PC, do not post your photos from your phone.  Facebook does a ton of extra compression when uploading phone photos that kills the quality of the photo.  But when uploading from PC things look much better.

As for why would I look at photos on my phone?  Because it's what I have on me all the time.  It's the #1 way to share what I'm doing with friends and family.  It's not like I can whip out a 15" screen laptop or iPad pro every time someone asks if I've taken any new pictures (although I have done that once or twice).  Plus the new larger phones and iPads have amazing color and contrast, which really shows the photos well, even if they aren't as big as the monitor.

#7 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:35 AM

>>>>>> it's always baffled me why anyone would want to look at any photograph on a phone..

Because my pics look better. I am a much better cell phone photographer than computer monitor photographer. The increased size of the computer monitor allow my errors to show more. 

Same reason that my guiding is so much better when I show the PHD2 graph at +/-8 instead of +/- 2. Smooths the graph right out. 

Alex

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics