•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M77 and NGC1055 in Cetus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aacc66

aacc66

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:47 PM

I started this work, just trying to improve my earliest version of M77, and I found that I can fit NGC1055 in the picture, but it was a bit crooked given that I needed a descent guiding star.

Some vitals from wikipedia: Messier 77  is about 47 Million Light years away with an apparent magnitude of  9.6; and NGC 1055, is about 52 million light years with an apparent magnitude of 11.4. 

M77_16h37m30s_Crop_DBE_LRGB_HDRLH_Saturated_v2s.jpg

here are the settings:

- Edge HD 9.25 on CGEM
- UnMod Sony a7s
- Light Subs (16 hours 37 minutes 30 sec) 1,995 x 30 sec Subs. Data from 5 Nights across September.
- ISO 6400
- Calibration with dark, flat and bias images
- Registering & stacking with DSS 4.10 64Bits
- Post-processing in PI with pseudo luminance channel.
- Red Zone

-The original size is 2 times larger with 2x Drizzle

Note: This time I did not try to reduce the size of the stars.

C&C welcome.

Alvaro

• Starman27, mikewayne3, deepwoods1 and 8 others like this

#2 aacc66

aacc66

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:04 PM

I do have two question about imagesolver from pixinsight:

1) I am having trouble annotating it.  I only got it right once using NGC1055 as my reference object, and I could not repeat it.  Is the problem with the image, or is the problem that I am re-solving on top of the previous solve?

2) The one I managed to image solve, the annotated image shows the circle for the greater M77, which makes me think that this was my problem trying to solver and maybe my image was extremely distorted, but if you see there is a cyan circle right in the center of the galaxy with ID PGC10266, which is another nomenclature for M77? is this normal?

You can see the annotated image here:

M77_16h37m30s_Crop_DBE_LRGB_Annotated.jpg

should I be concerned that my image is distorted  (some of the marked stars seem in the right place and a far a away galaxy seems ok)? or there is something funny with the way I am doing the solving?

Alvaro

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics