•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How would I mount a finder scope on this telescope?

cassegrain beginner accessories equipment Maksutov
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 carbean

carbean

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charleston, WV, USA

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:01 AM

I have a Celestron NexStar 90SLT Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope.  It came with a flimsy plastic red dot finder scope.  I discarded it and use the metal base to mount a StarSense Auto Align module.  Well, now I think I might like to mount a finder scope on it as well.  There are no other pre-drilled holes on the OTA.  Any ideas for how I could mount a finder scope?  Is it safe to drill and tap thread some more holes or am I likely to hit something important inside?  And furthermore, how critical would the alignment of the holes be?  Could I make up for any error in alignment with the adjustment of the finder scope if I just eyeballed the holes?  Do they make a double headed mount shoe adapter that would give me enough room to mount the finder scope?  I have seen a similar adapter to what I am describing used on rifles to mount a red dot and a scope together.  Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks in advance beehive mind.

Todd

(carbean)

Edited by carbean, 22 October 2019 - 04:02 AM.

• retroman2 likes this

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Gemini

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:11 AM

Do they make a double headed mount shoe adapter that would give me enough room to mount the finder scope? 

You could consider using JB Weld epoxy to affix this Orion Dovetail Base for Finder Scope , and then attach this Orion Dual Finder Scope Mounting Bracket --  https://www.telescop...?keyword=finder

• retroman2 likes this

#3 OleCuss

OleCuss

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:14 AM

I think much depends on what kind of finder you plan to mount.

If you were to choose a Rigel QuikFinder or a Telrad you would simply use double-sided tape.

Technically, you can use the Lyra DDMS:  http://www.dynapod.com/dyna-lyra.html to mount almost any finder (or some other things) on your OTA.  Thing is, I'd be concerned that you'd have to do a new alignment every time you set things up.  Still, it'd work.

If you decide to drill holes I'd be planning to do at least a partial disassembly of the OTA.  You'd probably have to do that to get any metal slivers out.  In any case, you'd need to use a nut inside the OTA in order to secure the finder mount/base.  BTW, I'd be going out of my way to make sure the machine screw and the nut have a black oxide finish to minimize reflections.  Also, get a machine screw which is the absolute minimum length to do the job.

And yes, you might consider the Orion Dual Finderscope bracket:  https://www.telescop...S&keyword=10145

• retroman2 likes this

#4 carbean

carbean

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charleston, WV, USA

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:55 AM

Thanks guys!  That Orion Dual Finder Scope Mounting Bracket is EXACTLY what I had in mind.  But 40 bucks, wow, seems like a lot for what it is.

Todd

(carbean)

#5 2696

Ranger 4

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:57 AM

Thanks guys! That Orion Dual Finder Scope Mounting Bracket is EXACTLY what I had in mind. But 40 bucks, wow, seems like a lot for what it is.
Todd
(carbean)

Yeah.. unfortunately Orion products are pretty overpriced.

#6 Pauls72

Pauls72

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:11 AM

Get yourself a Telrad. They mount with double sided tape.

They are also an excellent finder.

#7 SloMoe

SloMoe

Vanguard

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:34 AM

This vendor has many different finder brackets, find his web site

I believe that your scope has a shoe already on it, no need to drill any holes.

www.cloudynights.com/classifieds/item/187001-triple-dovetail-adapter/

Edited by Mike W., 22 October 2019 - 09:38 AM.

• OleCuss likes this

#8 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Viking 1

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:42 AM

$40 is chump change for what you want to accomplish.  I have a 9X50 RACI finderscope and a green laser on a dual Orion mounting bracket.  Easiest finder combo you could ever hope to have.  Once both are aligned with the scope, you are done.  I virtually never have to mess with it again.  It works time after time.  Laser goes on for seconds, fine tune in the finder scope, look in the scope eyepiece and there is your target.  Only takes seconds and you are there.  

• Sarkikos and Hugh Peck like this

#9 OleCuss

OleCuss

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:11 PM

This vendor has many different finder brackets, find his web site

I believe that your scope has a shoe already on it, no need to drill any holes.

www.cloudynights.com/classifieds/item/187001-triple-dovetail-adapter/

Wow!  You give someone a good 3-D printer and look what he'll make!!!

Makes some really good stuff apparently.  I've not figured ABS would be good enough for some of those applications but I may eventually try one or more of those gadgets.

The customized PETG Bahtinov masks are particularly interesting!  https://jwbozeman.co...lsPage=products

Obviously it's a "labor of love" enterprise and I hope people treat him well as he furthers this hobby!

Edited by OleCuss, 22 October 2019 - 12:12 PM.

#10 SloMoe

SloMoe

Vanguard

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:09 PM

I've purchased a few different things from him, the plastic is very durable, no flex.

Perfect fit, shoes and mounts.

Edited by Mike W., 22 October 2019 - 09:10 PM.

• OleCuss likes this

#11 OldManSky

OldManSky

Vanguard

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:06 AM

Exact same thing as Orion's dual finder bracket (probably made at the same factory) for $11 less...

https://www.amazon.c...71835941&sr=8-1

• 2696 likes this

#12 OleCuss

OleCuss

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:05 AM

^^^  Yup!  A better deal through Amazon.

But Dr. Benway will sell you a dual adapter for a total of $18 which is $11 less than the Amazon cost.  https://jwbozeman.co...ovetail-adapter

If you ask me, that's a screaming good deal.

• OldManSky likes this

#13 OldManSky

OldManSky

Vanguard

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:08 AM

^^^  Yup!  A better deal through Amazon.

But Dr. Benway will sell you a dual adapter for a total of $18 which is $11 less than the Amazon cost.  https://jwbozeman.co...ovetail-adapter

If you ask me, that's a screaming good deal.

It is...if the 3D-printed material instead of metal meets your needs :)

#14 OleCuss

OleCuss

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:35 PM

As best I can tell, PETG is strong and durable.  UV resistant as well.

A little flex is possible so you'd not want to be putting a lot of weight on the thing. . .

But realistically, our finders and similar are not heavy and his print jobs are not thin so with relatively light weights I'd be very surprised if there were any detectable flex.

#15 SloMoe

SloMoe

Vanguard

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:35 PM

I bought one of the Orion metal ones a while back, heavy, almost the same weight as the finder, at first I liked the idea but in practice one was always a bit far to stretch to and that's how I ended up with three shoes, had four but decided it was just a bit too much, removed the fourth one and covered the holes with a CloudBreak Optics sticker, looks like it is supposed to be there and the gang at that store are always worth mentioning.  waytogo.gif

A very high percentage of the time I'm only using one finder and my phone, built a bracket for it with a Synta foot and that one sets top center of the ota.

the laser is in it in the pic.

Attached Thumbnails

• thumbnail_Img_190113132711736-3.jpg

Edited by Mike W., 23 October 2019 - 08:36 PM.

• OleCuss likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cassegrain, beginner, accessories, equipment, Maksutov

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics