•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question about Parks Optical from former employee

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 koopyetz1

koopyetz1

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:29 AM

Hello

I worked in the optical lab of Parks Optical and  heard of it's closing. Curious about what happened to the inventory ( mirrors particularly ).

Thank you

• retroman2 likes this

#2 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:39 AM

The last I'd heard, more than five years ago, Lumicon bought the Parks name and inventory.  But now Lumicon has been bought by Far Point, right?  Right around the time that was all going on I bought a used 10" HIT (hybrid integrated telescope), very cool, I think.  I actually contacted Lumicon and asked them what their plans were (they didn't have any yet) and offered to give them ideas about what they could do to bring the Parks brand back.  Of course, I never heard from them.  

Amazingly, the website still exists: http://www.parksoptical.com/index.php (as of Oct. 22, 2019).

#3 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:55 AM

The vast bulk of the inventory was simply thrown away in dumpsters and hauled away.

A couple pieces went to OSI, the current owner of Lumicon, and a few pieces stayed with the Sweisses,

but the tubes, mirrors, et.al. ended up in a landfill someplace.

Parks' website and Scope City's website are still up even though both companies closed in 2012.

There is one server holding the obsolete architecture on it and there are still a few open businesses

operating from that server so they cannot simply shut the server down.  And no one works at the server farm

who knows how to shut down just one business on the server without shutting them all down.

So it stays up as long as some company still operates on that architecture there.

The Lumicon name resides with its current owner, OSI, since 2016.

It's not clear to me who owns the Parks name.

The interim owner of Lumicon from 2012 to 2016 is no longer in the astronomy business.

• Jon Isaacs and brave_ulysses like this

#4 dmgriff

dmgriff

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 30 degrees latitude, USA

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:15 AM

So, they just threw away nicely made mirrors?

Sad...

• Asbytec likes this

#5 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:54 AM

Those guys taught me how to test mirrors, complete and with zonal masks.

They had a 12.5" mirror that was so close to perfect no one could see any errors, no matter the zones

and no matter the rotation.  I thought of buying that mirror, but the 2.2" thickness kept me from doing it.

It was sold to a retailer somewhere.

My current Zambuto 12.5" is 1.25" thick, and that's fine for a 12.5".  No real need to be thicker.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#6 koopyetz1

koopyetz1

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:19 PM

Thank you all for your replies. Hearing how all the work by those in the lab was tossed is sad but I am fortunate to have learned how to create an optical surface of this caliber.

Regards and clear skies

#7 jeffmac

jeffmac

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Triad area, NC

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:34 PM

Mirrors were thrown away....that sounds insane, although I'm sure that was done with, what to them, was the most expedient thing to do. Unless it was a tax thing, I don't understand it.

#8 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:51 PM

There is one server holding the obsolete architecture on it and there are still a few open businesses

operating from that server so they cannot simply shut the server down.  And no one works at the server farm

who knows how to shut down just one business on the server without shutting them all down.

So it stays up as long as some company still operates on that architecture there.

That's actually kind of funny.  Goes a long way toward proving my theory that IT isn't as much science as it is black magic that nobody truly understands.

#9 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:53 PM

Just in case anyone is wistfull:

Parks 1.JPG

Parks 3.JPG

Parks 4.JPG

• peleuba and Ohmless like this

#10 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:33 AM

There are no more good tubes anymore. I miss the Parks tubes.

• Mr Magoo and Rollo like this

#11 ed_turco

ed_turco

Vanguard

• Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:38 AM

This ''landfill'' business is more common than one would think.  When Bausch and Lomb bought out Criterion and trashed the company,  all sorts of stuff was sent to a landfill.  An enterprising ATM knew about this in advance and followed the truck to the landfill, offered the driver a $20 tip and got everything!   When I heard about it, I bought about 50 six and eight inch mirror blanks for $300.

I've been teaching telescope making ever since. 

Fifteen to go!

Edited by ed_turco, 28 October 2019 - 03:28 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, peleuba, jeffmac and 2 others like this

#12 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 28 October 2019 - 03:24 PM

There are no more good tubes anymore. I miss the Parks tubes.

Try Parallax Instruments.

#13 BoldAxis1967

BoldAxis1967

Viking 1

• Loc: Kentucky

Posted 28 October 2019 - 04:38 PM

Just in case anyone is wistfull:

attachicon.gif Parks 1.JPG

attachicon.gif Parks 3.JPG

attachicon.gif Parks 4.JPG

What kind of optical tube is this?  There appears to be Moonlite focuser along the side of the tube towards the front and another focuser at the rear as if this OTA is a catadioptric.

L.

#14 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 28 October 2019 - 04:56 PM

Parks called it HIT.
It has two secondary mirrors.
One makes it a cassegrain; the other a newtonian.
One was a combo f/4.5 and f/15, as an example.
  • BoldAxis1967 likes this

#15 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 03 November 2019 - 02:21 PM

Yup.  My particular example is a 10" Hybrid Integrated Telescope: f/4 Newtonian, f/15 classical Cassegrain.  It is similar to the Takahishi CN-212 (Cassegrain- Newtonian, 212mm aperture).  Those are indeed MoonLite focusers.  The one on the rear (Cassegrain focus) is a dual speed, the one in the front (Newtonian focus) is a single speed (I should have bought a dual speed for the front, too).  

I brought this scope out last weekend for my son, and again this weekend for my son and his friend.  I didn't get a good photo of my son looking, but here is one of his friend:

Wade Richter a 191102.jpg

I only installed the Newtonian secondary mirror since my son wanted to see some large open clusters, and the Veil Nebula (but went to bed before we got there), and because my main scope in my observatory eight feet away is a classical Cassegrain.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics