•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help request. Zeiss D.F.6x30

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 philipsyd

philipsyd

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:51 AM

Hi All.

I am new to Cloudy Nights and was hoping someone could assist with some advice about removing the prism covers on my circa 1920's Zeiss D.F.6x30s.

I have disassembled and cleaned my other old binoculars but have not seen a similar arrangement to this.

The prism covers have only one screw on the outer edge of the cover (see photos) but are firmly attached around the lens posts at both the diopter and objective ends. Once the screw is removed, I am able to lift the cover on that side but it is flexing as it seems to be attached around the lens post.

There are no grub screws on the edge of the covers and the cover looks like it fits over the top of the lens post like a tee shirt over a neck.

I have tried isopropyl alcohol, acetone and heat with no effect so have pretty much ruled out sealant, glue or rust as the cause of not being able to move the cover but I could be wrong.

With only one screw holding down the cover from the top, I have to assume there is a location point under the cover but I have no idea what it would be.

I found a brilliant series of photos on the American History Museum's site showing a cut away of an older pair of Zeiss binoculars but the location of the cover at the lens side is achieved by way of a grub screw in the side lip of the cover that once released allows the cover to be lifted away.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have been able to repair the jammed diopter mechanisms and have re-seated the lenses so the binoculars are working again but the prisms are calling out for a cleaning.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8080.JPG
  • IMG_8078.JPG
  • Cutaway Diagram small.jpg
  • IMG_8076.JPG

#2 FrankL

FrankL

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:20 AM

“I have tried isopropyl alcohol, acetone and heat with no effect so have pretty much ruled out sealant, glue or rust as the cause of not being able to move the cover but I could be wrong.”

It’s a tight fit plus dried sealant/lubricant. There could be a grub screw but I doubt it on this binocular. To remove you need lots of heat from a butane jewellers torch and a strap wrench. The danger is crimping the tube if you press too hard using the strap wrench so it may be better to put eyelens cel back in when using strap wrench (but do not have the eyelens cel in the tube when heat being applied or else the heat could cause the eyelens to separate).

Edited by FrankL, 22 October 2019 - 01:58 PM.

• harbinjer and philipsyd like this

#3 harbinjer

harbinjer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Southeastern Minnesota

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:51 AM

I think you are on the right track. I have never seen a grub screw there, but I've never worked on that vintage of binoculars either.  I like what FrankL says. You could also trying heating the body and cooling the tube.  Or you could try a penetrating oil like WD-40 or Deep creep seafoam(even better). 

• philipsyd likes this

#4 Ant1

Ant1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:23 PM

Hi

Same advice than FrankL above.

You need to remove (unscrew) the eyepiece guide tube first, using a heat gun and a strap wrench. Be careful as the tube gets easily deformed to an oval shape, therefore it is best to insert beforehand a mandrel of suitable diameter inside the tube and pry with a strap wrench as near the prism plate as you can.

Regards

Ant1

• philipsyd likes this

#5 philipsyd

philipsyd

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:43 PM

Thank you guys. I really appreciate that.

I'll give it a go.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics