•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Windows themes for EAA

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ajkrishock

ajkrishock

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Perseus Arm

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:29 AM

All,

Like a lot of you, I frequently take a laptop out into the field with me. I have become interested in making a windows visual theme for EAA that preserves night vision as much as possible, but, I'm not much of a programmer and I'm having a hard time changing windows elements from the default white to something darker. 

Have any of you done anything like this? Is it even possible? I've found a few dark themes for windows like this one but it still has some white elements in it. 

If you've found something that you use, please post a screenshot and describe how you did it.

Thanks

#2 starbuckin

starbuckin

Vostok 1

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:57 AM

I just turn on "night mode" in display.

Actually, I don't see this on my work computer, but my personal laptop (astronomy laptop) has that setting that just turns the screen red.

#3 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Ranger 4

• Loc: Boston

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:06 AM

Hi

If you use Sharpcap, it already has a red/orange screen. I just turn down the brightness a bit. Also, I find red light not really necessary given EAA’s reliance on the computer screen for observing - unless, of course, others are nearby doing visual observing.

Dark adaption for eyes is nice to have though during initial setup and alignment - especially if you’re in LP areas that make it hard to see alignment stars if you do visual centering with a reticle before putting in the camera. Most nights, I start with the camera in place do my alignments on-screen anyway.

best,

Gary

#4 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Crowtime Observatory, West of the Meridian

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:44 AM

I use "Dom's AstroRed theme" to change Windows frames to red/orange, recolor fonts, and offer a black background.

Can be downloaded from the link supplied in this Stargazer's lounge thread:

https://stargazerslo...ark-adaptation/

Cheers!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics