•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to dither

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rocketrat1

Rocketrat1

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: California

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:08 AM

In some of my recent astrophotos I’ve seen an artifact that I think can be solved by dithering, I contacted Orion telescopes about connecting a computer to my mount and they said I had to upgrade my hand controller because I am currently using a V3 synscan hand controller. Would anybody know of a way to connect my mount to my computer without needing to upgrade my hand controller?  

#2 jdupton

jdupton

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:26 AM

Rocketrat1,

The SynScan V3 controllers can connect just fine if they have the right version of Firmware. It is only the very old Firmware that cannot connect nor can it be upgraded without buying a new Hand Control.

When you power up the mount with the HC connected, check the messages to see which Version of Firmware it has. If it is v2.XX (any version of 2 point something), then yes, it cannot be upgraded and will not connect properly. If it shows any version level over 3.00, then you can connect and use a PC to control the mount. On some v3 Hand Contrls, there was a sticker on the back showing initial Firmware level. Check that also.

Assuming you have a good level of Firmware, you should be able to use the tutorial I wrote last year to connect and get it working.

https://www.atm-workshop.com/synscan-pc-connect.html

John

• pgs/sdg and Dynan like this

#3 SnowWolf

SnowWolf

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:29 PM

In some of my recent astrophotos I’ve seen an artifact that I think can be solved by dithering, I contacted Orion telescopes about connecting a computer to my mount and they said I had to upgrade my hand controller because I am currently using a V3 synscan hand controller. Would anybody know of a way to connect my mount to my computer without needing to upgrade my hand controller?  

You can connect the Atlas mount directly to your computer without the handset.

It needs an EQDIR adapter (I use the EQDIR interface module from http://www.store.sho...products_eq.htm) and a USB to DB9 serial cable. 

From there, there is a plethora of free software to control the mount.  ASCOM/EQMOD, Stellarium, PHD2, Cartes du Ceil, etc.

• rexrobichaux likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics