•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recommendations for LP filters for my modded Nikon D5300

astrophotography accessories dslr equipment imaging LP
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 marinaldi

marinaldi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:36 PM

Hi Folks, 

I will soon be going on a vacation trip to SE Asia.  I'd like to possibly take some AP shots while there.  Unfortunately I'm not going into the dark skies of the interior but will be in Bortle 8 skies.  I've successfully shot from my home in San Francisco (Bortle 8) using my Modded Nikon D5300 attached to my SVX 70 scope and using the incredible Optlong L-enhance filter screwed into the adapter.  All riding on top of my Losmandy G11G2.

Obviously I'm not going to lug my mount or gear to SE Asia.  I CAN bring my modded Nikon camera, tripod, and the older model IOptron Skytracker pro.  I'm wanting to shoot using my modded Nikon with a Nikon 35mm and 180mm lens.  My "naive?" solution is to find some sort of step down ring system that will allow the 48mm L-enhance filter to be wedded to 52mm filter thread of the 35mm Nikon lens or the 72mm filter thread of the 180mm Nikon telephoto lens.   I've heard about vignetting issues but also heard that it works.  

Another possibility is to pick your collective brains and ask if there are 52mm and/or 72mm L-Enhance-like LP filters to use directly without step-down rings.   

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, accessories, dslr, equipment, imaging, LP

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics