•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any Reason I shouldn't buy an Apertura AD12 as a beginner?

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 Ranger Tim

Ranger Tim

Apollo

• Loc: SW Idaho, USA

Posted 25 October 2019 - 11:00 AM

I have/had a 6 inch, 8 inch and a 12 inch dob. The twelve changed from tube to truss as I changed from 40 to 60. The steel tube 12 was not much of a problem for me when I was younger (6'5" and 250 lbs.) even though it was awkward to carry. I had an Orion case that allowed me to drag/slide it through the house easily and a hand truck for delivery to the vehicle and viewing site. Best thing about the case was that it kept dust off of the scope while not in use. I could stand it up vertically and not sorry about crud settling on the mirror. Bugs couldn't get into it either. Most of the time it was hand carry. Back seat of the F150. Base in the truck bed. Worked fine. The base of the Orion 12 was more of a pain. 

The difference between the smaller dobs and the 12 is like chicken salad vs. chicken s___. Only super dark skies reveal any real depth in small dobs. I think the 10 inch dob is the best compromise between size and weight for the average sized person, but I don't like compromises! While lusting after a larger dob (16-18 inch truss) I content myself with a 12.5 truss as my retirement scope.

Buy the 12 steel tube and don't look back. When and if it becomes a burden to transport and set up change to a smaller rig but chances are you will move in the other direction to a larger dob first. Only you can know for sure. But I do know that you will have a BLAST with the twelve for a long while.

I second the vote for a Panoptic. Get a decent cross haired cheshire/sight tube and quality laser or autocollimator. Use it every time, it only takes a minute in the field. Get a Telrad too. And the Jumbo Pocket Sky Atlas or SkySafari Plus or both. The chair can be a stool at the start. Harbor Freight boxes for eyepieces and finder/collimators. Dew becomes a problem for the secondary way before the big mirror - small fan will keep it under control or get a dew prevention kit. A few hours will pass before dew sets. Small newts dew up much faster. Get cracking and order today!

• Jon Isaacs, BillShort, Richie2shoes and 2 others like this

#52 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:47 PM

One of the Meade lightbridge 12" bases is really light weight. I carried one at a dark sky site. Unless he painted a dobstuff base white. That truss was not bad to move. And the brightness was nice compared to an 8". Still, a 10" tube is not bad.

#53 Gary Riley

Gary Riley

Viking 1

• Loc: White Bluff, TN

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:59 PM

I moved up from a 70mm refractor to the Z12 dob 10 yrs ago (same scope as the Apertura). I am 64 and 5’10” and 200 lbs and I can bear hug the OTA and walk outside with it and then take the base outside. You could also move the whole thing with a 2 wheel dolly. The scope will require about an hour to adjust to outside temps. Get a Hotech 2 inch or a Howie Glatter Tublug collimator and an adjustable observing chair something similar to what Jon Issac has. I use ES eyepieces with my dob. Get a Telrad to go with the finder scope and you will be good to go.

#54 Sully606

Sully606

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago, USA

Posted 25 October 2019 - 10:40 PM

I have a Orion’s XT10i and I’m I new to astronomy. I’ve had a blast with it even in Chicago suburban skies. I’m sure the 12 would be even better.

Two thoughts:

Collimation is a factor. I may have missed that discussion on this thread but I have found, thanks to the good people on this forum, that it’s a big deal. I purchased the catseye products and it has made a great difference on my viewing. I actually enjoy the process.

If you live in the Denver area you may want to look at Craigslist. My daughter lives there and when I visit I always search telescopes. There is many excellent scopes available every time I check it out. I just wish my wife didn’t always insist on flying!

Sully
  • Big_Eight likes this

#55 bbbriggs

bbbriggs

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Graham WA

Posted 02 November 2019 - 02:33 PM

No problem at all for a first scope. You will have a blast with it. 

• Big_Eight likes this

#56 Big_Eight

Big_Eight

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 02 November 2019 - 04:52 PM

Thanks for all the info everybody I will definitely update you when a purchase is made. I plan on making a purchase in the next month or so and will definitely post pics.

If anybody has anymore pointers please feel free to express yourself as it is much appreciated.

• Lukes1040 likes this

#57 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:19 PM

I purchased the AD12 in April from High Point Scientific.  This was an upgrade/replacement for my Orion XT8i.  Very happy with it.  The XT8i has been sold. 

I also have two 80 mm refractors, 100 mm table top Dob, 127 mm Mak.  The AD12 is my main scope and gets about 70% of my eyepiece time. 

I like my equipment to be VERY convenient to use so:

• everything lives in the garage so there is no going in and out of the house
  • no stairs involved in moving 
  • my AD12 lives on a hand truck in the garage so I can just roll it out
  • about as easy to deploy at home as my 80 mm refractor

While most of my observing is done at home, I do take the scope to remote darker sites.  Fits very nicely in the back of my Nissan Rogue with the back seats down.   The front passenger seat is free for an observing buddy. 

I saved some of the white foam blocks that were in the shipping box to fit the scope to my hand truck and to the back of my car. 

After the scope is moved I lay the hand truck down and it becomes a low work table for my stuff. I added some flat foam to the hand truck to create the work surfaces.   

Hardly more effort than when I had the 8" Dob.  

No problem lifting the 12" tube off the base though I rarely have to do it.   I have a strap I can put on the tube but normally I just grab the two ends and lift.   

I flocked the upper 24" of the tube and I installed an AZ scale in the base to help with finding targets in my very light polluted sky.

Recently added a Telrad.

Eyepiece line-up:  I find that I can apply 40x to 70X more magnification on most targets than I could with the 8" Dob.

Apertura AD12 12”/305 mm Dobsonian/Newtonian, 1520 mm FL F5 FR

The bolded ones are what I use most of the time.  The others I have, but are more for other scopes. 

AA         38 mm/70     40X and   1.75 degrees FOV     EP 7.6 mm  2”
Meade  20 mm/82     76X and   1.07 degrees              EP 4.0         2”

ES          14 mm/82    108X and    .75 degrees               EP 2.8
ES          8.8 mm/82  172X and    .47 degrees             EP 1.7
ES          6.7 mm/82  226X and    .36 degrees             EP 1.3
Meade   5.5 mm/82  276X and   .29 degrees               EP 1.1
ES          4.7 mm/82  323x and    .25 degrees              EP   .94

ES          8.8+2XB       344X and    .24 degrees
ES          6.7+2XB       452X and    .18 degrees
Meade   5.5+2XB       552X and    .15 degrees
Baader Hyperion 8-24  zoom    63X to 190X and .79 to .35 degrees
Baader Hyperion 8-24+1.5XB   94X to 285X

Just float your cursor over the photo for the title of the photo. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Apertura fitted to red handtruck (240x320).jpg
  • Apertura - tipping into the car (320x240).jpg
  • Apertura tube, mount and hand truck in Rogue (320x240) (2).jpg
  • Apertura AD12 and Orion XT8i (240x320).jpg
  • Apertura AZ scale close (320x240).jpg
  • Apertura flocking (320x240).jpg

Edited by aeajr, 12 November 2019 - 05:38 PM.

• Diana N and Lukes1040 like this

#58 sink45ny

sink45ny

Vanguard

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:23 PM

If you have patience plan on purchasing Black Friday, there should be some sales.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics