•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

15X70

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:24 PM

I've read most of the posts good and bad about the 15X70 Celestrons. Got mine today from Adorama, paid $63 plus shipping. Packaged securely and they look good and feel nice in the hand. Daytime views show excellent optics out to 80% of radius. Center focus is smooth and diopter focuses easily too. These are NOT junk bino's as some have written. I'll provide more info once I use them for astro viewing. At least first impression is very good.
Bill

#2 Bob W6PU

Bob W6PU

Vanguard

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:11 PM

That's certainly a very reasonable price Bill, and I hope they work out for you! I only paid $149 for my 15X70 Oberwerk, and I just love them!

Good luck!

Bob in NM

#3 mttafire

mttafire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:01 PM

No they are NOT junk. I actually think they're hard to beat for the money. Had mine now for 6 months or so and use them ALOT. Ive had no problems and great views. Enjoy!!

#4 Bob W6PU

Bob W6PU

Vanguard

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:49 PM

If I receive them grossly misaligned, and with two seperate images seperated both vertically and horizontally, I call them JUNK...I don't care if they say Swarovski, or Carl Zeiss, Jena on them, the're Junk, to me! :lol:

Don't laugh,that's the way I received my first pair of Barska 15X70, and they were in the return mail 30 minutes later!

This is why, when ever I buy an optical instrument or an eyepiece, especially expensive items, I buy them from a reputable dealer who has a "no hassle" return policy!

Old French proverb,..."the cat who has once been burned with hot water, fears even cold water!"

Bob

#5 Rick

Rick

Gemini

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:10 AM

"It's like deja-vu, all over again." - Yogi Berra :tonofbricks:

clear skies,
Rick

#6 mttafire

mttafire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:22 AM

I agree with Bob 100% as much as i like my 15x70's if they HAD arrived in bad shape then yes that is junk. No matter what brand. But, in the end i have a great pair with no problems, hope the same goes for Bonco.

#7 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:02 AM

I've read most of the posts good and bad about the 15X70 Celestrons. Got mine today from Adorama, paid $63 plus shipping. Packaged securely and they look good and feel nice in the hand. Daytime views show excellent optics out to 80% of radius.

Bill,

I think the things you give up in the less expensive binoculars are really the things that make the difference between the average binocular and an excellent binocular. Of course, if you never compare your binocular to an excellent binoculaar, you won't ever see those differences and you will be happy with what you have.

edz

#8 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:16 AM

Beeeeeeeuuuuuuutifully put, EdZ!!!

Bill

#9 Lionsden

Lionsden

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:34 PM

Bill,

I think the things you give up in the less expensive binoculars are really the things that make the difference between the average binocular and an excellent binocular. Of course, if you never compare your binocular to an excellent binoculaar, you won't ever see those differences and you will be happy with what you have.

edz

Yes, beautifully put…. but still a “put-down”. I’m just so sick of this binocular snobbery. You just couldn’t let it go and let some be happy with their purchase! You had to stick the boot in, even if it was eloquently done.. What you’ve basically just said is “You think they’re good, but that’s just because you don’t know any better!”
It’s just the same thing over and over again and I’m tired hearing it. It’s that sort of attitude that makes people think you have to pay a fortune to get into any sort of astronomy, and so frightens them off. :mad:

ASTRONOMY DOESN’T HAVE TO BE EXPENSIVE!!!!

#10 Rick

Rick

Gemini

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:59 PM

And the flip side to your outrage is the implication that those who have chosen to pay more for their binoculars are not only snobs, but idiots who are incapable of seeing real value. The sword cuts both ways my friend.

clear skies,
Rick

#11 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:31 PM

My $59 (Sportsmans Guide 2003) Galileo 15x70mm binoculars are the best performing binoculars I ever purchased under $100. My Orion 8x40/10x50 Outsider and 12x50 Scenix binoculars are junk compared to them. The reason I purchased the Orion 8x,10x and 12x binoculars is because of the advertised extra-wide FOV of 9.4,7.6 and 6.0 deg FOV but in reality the eye relief is under 10mm so you see much less.

Joe

#12 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:43 PM

APOS vs. ACHROS; refractors vs. reflectors; Dobs vs. SCTS; Naglers vs. Pentaxes; binoviewers vs. cyclopses; expensive binos vs. inexpensive binos: gee, we can't seem to avoid binary oppositions sometimes. The only thing everyone seems to agree on is how nice it would be to have a 28 inch RCOS on a Paramount in one's own observatory in New Mexico.

But until then, let's try to keep the temperature down, shall we?

#13 Lionsden

Lionsden

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:44 PM

And the flip side to your outrage is the implication that those who have chosen to pay more for their binoculars are not only snobs, but idiots who are incapable of seeing real value. The sword cuts both ways my friend.

clear skies,
Rick

Ah! not at all. I'll think you'll find that I have never criticised anyone for buying the more expensive binoculars. If that’s for them, then that’s fine. I just feel that the same courtesy isn’t shown to people on more modest budgets. I have never said that the more expensive binoculars are not better quality, however, that doesn’t mean that there isn’t a place for lower priced equipment in astronomy.

#14 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:47 PM

I thought about what answer to give here. Then I just thought about what was said originally

Daytime views show excellent optics out to 80% of radius. Center focus is smooth and diopter focuses easily too. These are NOT junk bino's as some have written.

And I felt comfortable with the first response I gave.

Bill isn't a newbie. He owns several binoculars and is an experienced observer. But, I know enough about different views to know what is excellent and what is not. We both know enough that excellent, if put in context with an array of quality binoculars takes on different meaning. He has referred to these binoculars as excellent, and elsewhere outstanding.

Forgive me, but I'm thinking I'm now left with no words to use when referring to really premium binoculars. Now you won't find anywhere that I was one who called these junk, but there are other binoculars out there that may be better deserving of those accolades.

Apparently Leo you haven't changed your opinion. But neither have I.
cheap binoculars are not premium binoculars

You have expressed your opinion here more than once that

Reading through the posts here over the last number of months, I do feel that there is a certain amount of bino-snobbery present.

. Frankly Leo, rather than snobbery, I think we provide a forum that tries to keep things in balance.

edz

#15 mttafire

mttafire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:11 PM

I spend alot of my time on this site at the eyepiece forum. I own 2 gso superviews and a siebert they are certainly at the bottom bracket of cost. However, they provide great views!! The people there echo my observations. Even people that own Naglers and Panoptics(2 of the best eyepiece styles)Will say "Those gso's are great eyepieces" or "nice choice" Here though in context the less expensive brands that provide excellent views Do not get the same comments. I do like the binocular forum BUT it is a bit different in that i have to agree with lionsden. No disrespect to anyone but this is not the most hospitable forums on cloudy nights. P.S. Again this is not to provoke it is just an observation.

#16 sparrow

sparrow

Apollo

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:20 PM

Of course, if you never compare your binocular to an excellent binoculaar, you won't ever see those differences and you will be happy with what you have.

edz

This is an empty statement. Of course an "excellent" bino is better than a "average" bino. The question is which is which?

I've compared my $54 Nikon Actions to my Zeiss and Leicas and all three of them are "excellent" as far as I'm concerned. I have seen the difference between the three and continue to be happy with the Nikons WITHOUT any reference to price.

At the end of the day "excellent" is what works for you.

#17 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:21 PM

I bet EdZ keeps a Celestron 15x70 under his pillow... :lol:

(just a guess)!! :question:

#18 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:25 PM

Wow...kinda funny, some sensitivities here. Recently on astromart I read an add for older Celestrons that said something like, " These are not like the Chinese Junk sold today." Thus my statement. Also, I've been involved with this hobby since 1960 and have observed thru a plethora of different bino's. I can view in daylight and judge optics quickly to determine problems. However, for astro evaluation, you must make several night observing tests. I haven't done that yet but the views of Jupiter and its moons last night showed promising results. I think it important that if a bargain is identified it should be passed on to others. If my C 15X70 came with a problem I would have sent them back. Instead they came in perfect condition and I like the idea that if I abuse them by dropping or any other situation, Celestron will fix or replace for $25. Takes a lot of the risk from the online purchase...For $63 I think these are an absolute bargain. If you try them and don't get the same results...send them back and order something else.
Take care, Bill

#19 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:26 PM

Let's discuss the binoculars, not the people discussing them.

#20 Rick

Rick

Gemini

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:38 PM

No disrespect to anyone but this is not the most hospitable forums on cloudy nights.

Perhaps not, but that hasn't stopped it from being one of the most, if not THE MOST widely read and wildly popular forums on Cloudy Nights. It wasn't too long ago there were more than 100+ viewers in the fourm at one time! I'm 15 times zones away and even in the middle of my "day" when most of the world is asleep or just waking up there will be 10+ viewers logged on to the Binocular forum versus perhaps 2-3 in all the others.

So perhaps it is because of the QUALITY of the posts, rather than the QUANTITY of congratulatory backslaping or "Look what I ordered!" and "Product X on the way!" posts that draw folks here. And for that we have to thank EdZ (and overly generous curmudgeon like Bill C :bow:) and all the work he puts in to make sure most of the info posted here is both useful AND ACCURATE. Thanks EdZ!

clear skies,
Rick

#21 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:53 PM

Wow...kinda funny, some sensitivities here. Recently on astromart I read an add for older Celestrons that said something like, " These are not like the Chinese Junk sold today." Thus my statement. Also, I've been involved with this hobby since 1960 and have observed thru a plethora of different bino's. I can view in daylight and judge optics quickly to determine problems. However, for astro evaluation, you must make several night observing tests. I haven't done that yet but the views of Jupiter and its moons last night showed promising results. I think it important that if a bargain is identified it should be passed on to others. If my C 15X70 came with a problem I would have sent them back. Instead they came in perfect condition and I like the idea that if I abuse them by dropping or any other situation, Celestron will fix or replace for $25. Takes a lot of the risk from the online purchase...For $63 I think these are an absolute bargain. If you try them and don't get the same results...send them back and order something else.
Take care, Bill

the life time warranty is amazing.... :cool:

and for only $63 bucks....I might need to indulge!!!

:bow:

#22 mttafire

mttafire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:01 PM

Last week i was looking at Cygnus with my Celestrons and it was amazing! Beautiful site the night sky is...Oh, wait no it wasnt im using Celestron 15x70's It must have been horrible. :grin:

#23 Lionsden

Lionsden

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:01 PM

...So perhaps it is because of the QUALITY of the posts, rather than the QUANTITY of congratulatory backslaping or "Look what I ordered!" and "Product X on the way!" posts that draw folks here.....

Maybe so, but I think you'll find that a anyone who buys a pair of Skymasters would rather get a welcoming black slap than a slap down.

Oh and yes Ed, this isn't the first time I've voiced my opinion on this (it's nice to see someone has noticed!) it's just something I feel strongly about, and it just seems to keep re-occuring.

#24 Les

Les

Viking 1

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:07 PM

Well, I know I flinched when I first read EdZ's initial response. Somehow, the tone was all wrong even if it was a correct statement.

Les

#25 Rick

Rick

Gemini

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:36 PM

I for one appreciated the "tough-love" that is dished out here. These folks already have paid the heavy "tuition" of time and money in weeding out the good from the not-so-good. Their bino advise given out for FREE has probably saved me hundreds of hours and thousands of $$$ in bad decisions. I think some folks just need to "cowboy up" and understand that while the "medicine" may taste bad, it is nevertheless good for you.

-Rick

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics