•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron/Vite aspherics reincarnation by Meade

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Mid-Atlantic, Bortle 7

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:51 PM

Just noticed that cheap Vite (or "Whatever") aspherics with plastic eyelens sold in bulk for years on eBay and discussed earlier emerged as Meade 1.25" Wide Angle Aspheric Eyepiece Set priced close to one used Morpheus lol.gif

#2 vtornado

vtornado

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:00 PM

Yup looks like them.  $170 seems a bit rich.

#3 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:23 PM

What a crock!  You can get all 3 Ebay "clones" for about $15 each. Actually, the 23mm is not a bad eyepiece at all, but I certainly would not pay $50+ for it. I got a set of these including the 12 and 16mm versions and I've been very impressed.  They appear to be the same as the Lunt "solar" eyepieces or the BST Flat Field eyepiece costing more than twice the Ebay "generic" version price.

Frank

• erin likes this

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:46 PM

But "comes with a reusable cardboard box to keep your eyepieces in when not in use" just oozes ~premium~  !    Tom 

• CeleNoptic, clivemilne, jgroub and 3 others like this

#5 BFaucett

BFaucett

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas 29.779 -95.603 (approx)

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:21 AM

Yup looks like them.  $170 seems a bit rich.

$170 ???  scratchhead2.gif

meade.png

https://agenaastro.c...ces-607002.html

Bob F. laugh.gif

Edited by BFaucett, 23 October 2019 - 02:30 AM.

• Terra Nova and jgroub like this

#6 Eeqmcsq

Eeqmcsq

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:36 AM

There were so many positive reactions in that Vite thread, I'm seriously thinking about getting a set. $34.95, or about $12 each. If they live up to the posts in the Vite thread, this would be a great bang-for-the-buck set of eyepieces.

• eros312 and BFaucett like this

#7 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:46 PM

You can get the 3 piece set here for even cheaper and they are shipped from the US. SV Bony labels them now.

Frank

• CeleNoptic, BFaucett and ghpicard like this

#8 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:31 PM

But "comes with a reusable cardboard box to keep your eyepieces in when not in use" just oozes ~premium~  !    Tom

They forgot to add another magic phrase usually associated with "carboard" --  fully recyclable

$170 ???  scratchhead2.gif

attachicon.gif meade.png

https://agenaastro.c...ces-607002.html

Bob F. laugh.gif

I was not that smart to post the screenshot since didn't expect that the price would magically drop overnight. The original price probably was just MSRP grin.gif

• BFaucett likes this

#9 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:10 PM

There were so many positive reactions in that Vite thread, I'm seriously thinking about getting a set. $34.95, or about $12 each. If they live up to the posts in the Vite thread, this would be a great bang-for-the-buck set of eyepieces.

Eh, I liked them at the time but ultimately I think it's really better to get something a little higher end if you can afford it. They're great for the price, but only because they're so cheap, not because they're particularly amazing.

I place them somewhere above cheap kellners and somewhere below decent introductory plossls.

• tubehead999 likes this

#10 jgroub

jgroub

Apollo

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:36 AM

Coupla things.  First, only get the 23mm, which I have.  I don't have the 10 or the 4, but from what I've read, while I can tell you that the 23mm is pretty dang good, the 10 is barely okay, and the 4 is awful; nothing but a paperweight.  Save yourself the $20, and just get the 23mm for twelve bucks. 

Eh, I liked them at the time but ultimately I think it's really better to get something a little higher end if you can afford it. They're great for the price, but only because they're so cheap, not because they're particularly amazing.

I place them somewhere above cheap kellners and somewhere below decent introductory plossls.

I'd rate the 23mm a bit higher than that.  In a fast scope, yeah, it's not so hot.  Very messy at the edges in my f/5 'frac.  But in my f/12 Mak, it is definitely better than Plossls due to the significantly larger field of view (62 degrees versus 52).  Not only "good for $12", but good for $40, too.  

• BFaucett, nicoledoula and Strayring like this

#11 RichA

RichA

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 28 October 2019 - 06:50 PM

Just noticed that cheap Vite (or "Whatever") aspherics with plastic eyelens sold in bulk for years on eBay and discussed earlier emerged as Meade 1.25" Wide Angle Aspheric Eyepiece Set priced close to one used Morpheus lol.gif

Price is about $10 more for the set than when sold on Ebay.  I would rate the eyepieces as good, quite acceptable in a slower scope with a really good, high-contrast central view.  Faster scopes, forget about edge definition, it's goooonnnnne!

• jgroub likes this

#12 RichA

RichA

Apollo

Posted 28 October 2019 - 07:50 PM

You can get the 3 piece set here for even cheaper and they are shipped from the US. SV Bony labels them now.

Frank

they're a bit schizo.  That ad, they won't ship anywhere but the U.S.  This one, they do:

https://www.ebay.com...utorefresh=true

#13 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:47 PM

Price is about $10 more for the set than when sold on Ebay. 

yes, they dropped the price, originally it was around $170 (see posts ##2 and 8)

#14 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 30 October 2019 - 02:43 PM

I gave them a try (SVbony). I held on to the 23mm the longest, just because it was easily the better of the three but I farmed them all out pretty quickly. To me they were too light-weight and had a cheap feel, like toy eyepieces that would go with a toy telescope. I don’t lament their being gone.

• BFaucett and nicoledoula like this

#15 nicoledoula

nicoledoula

Apollo

Posted 30 October 2019 - 04:17 PM

None of them are any good as paperweights. 

• eros312, Terra Nova and Peter Besenbruch like this

#16 eros312

eros312

Messenger

• Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 30 October 2019 - 04:58 PM

lol.gif Yeah, the paper will probably weigh more. 

• jgroub likes this

#17 erin

erin

Viking 1

• Loc: MA

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:03 AM

What a crock!  You can get all 3 Ebay "clones" for about $15 each. Actually, the 23mm is not a bad eyepiece at all, but I certainly would not pay $50+ for it. I got a set of these including the 12 and 16mm versions and I've been very impressed.  They appear to be the same as the Lunt "solar" eyepieces or the BST Flat Field eyepiece costing more than twice the Ebay "generic" version price.

Frank

I wish I saw these eBay clones of the BST FFs before I picked up 2 sets! Coulda saved some $$, to say nothing of the bright, pretty colors. Do the eye guards twist up?

#18 RichA

RichA

Apollo

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:11 AM

I gave them a try (SVbony). I held on to the 23mm the longest, just because it was easily the better of the three but I farmed them all out pretty quickly. To me they were too light-weight and had a cheap feel, like toy eyepieces that would go with a toy telescope. I don’t lament their being gone.

Benefit of light, all-aluminum bodies;  far less susceptible to fogging from breath (or heat from they eye) in winter compared to chromed brass.  Found that out with Brandons and Meade RG orthos, both aluminum.

• erin likes this

#19 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:57 AM

Avoid the Angeleyes copies of the BST eyepieces. While they look the same, they most definitely are not! The fields of view are MUCH smaller and the the edges for about 2/3rds the FOV are seagulls, really, really bad. I ordered the set and promptly returned them. The 23mm Vite was a much a better eyepiece, that's how bad they are. It looked like they put super cheap lenses inside a nice body made to resemble the BST/Lunt eyepieces. Nothing like cheap Chinese copies of cheap Chinese eyepieces to produce some of the absolute worst eyepieces I have ever seen. Spend a little more and buy the BST, it's worth it.

I wish I saw these eBay clones of the BST FFs before I picked up 2 sets! Coulda saved some $$, to say nothing of the bright, pretty colors. Do the eye guards twist up?

• erin likes this

#20 erin

erin

Viking 1

• Loc: MA

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:52 AM

Avoid the Angeleyes copies of the BST eyepieces. While they look the same, they most definitely are not! The fields of view are MUCH smaller and the the edges for about 2/3rds the FOV are seagulls, really, really bad. I ordered the set and promptly returned them. The 23mm Vite was a much a better eyepiece, that's how bad they are. It looked like they put super cheap lenses inside a nice body made to resemble the BST/Lunt eyepieces. Nothing like cheap Chinese copies of cheap Chinese eyepieces to produce some of the absolute worst eyepieces I have ever seen. Spend a little more and buy the BST, it's worth it.

Wow—thanks for sharing your experience! Good to know they aren’t as good as the real ones. I got one set of the BSTs and then picked up another for binoviewing—worth every dollar.

#21 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:28 AM

I bought the Svbony branded set from ebay for $22 (a little over $7/piece). They are not worth $7/piece.

They are the only eyepieces I've ever looked through that I would classify as poor.

The 23mm lights up like a christmas tree when you aim it at the Moon. Obvious, distracting veiling glare over the whole thing, and half of it has an even stronger veiling glare off to one side or the other depending on where the moon is in the field.

The 10mm had a badly crooked field stop so part of it was in focus and part of it wasn't. The view of Jupiter was smack-you-in-the-face obviously blurry. When I compared it with my 10mm Baader Classic Ortho and 10mm TeleVue Delos, and a handful of other similar focal lengths, it was nice and sharp. When you pop in the 10mm aspheric, it's very blurry in comparison. You may be thinking it may be unfair to compare this with a $350 eyepiece, but the $100 BCO was also nice and sharp, as was a $12 9mm "gold line" (generic Orion Expanse). Cost should NOT be an issue with on-axis sharpness. The 10mm aspheric is just... blurry. I wouldn't bother with a blurry on-axis eyepiece even if it was free.

The 4mm? Too much power for the night I tested it out, but I only had to see one thing: chromatic aberration. Viewed Jupiter with it, and colored fringe was present all the way around the planet. Put my 4.5 Delos in, and no fringe was visible. Both were equally blurry because the seeing was too poor that night, but the 4mm aspheric showed noticeable color problems. It was like I was looking through a 60mm department store refractor.

At the price this set sells for, there is probably zero QA done, so you might get lucky or you might not. I wouldn't bother spending $22 on this set, let alone with Meade's 50% markup...

Edited by CrazyPanda, 31 October 2019 - 11:54 AM.

• JIMZ7, tubehead999 and erin like this

#22 jgroub

jgroub

Apollo

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:05 PM

I bought the Svbony branded set from ebay for $22 (a little over $7/piece). They are not worth $7/piece.

They are the only eyepieces I've ever looked through that I would classify as poor.

The 23mm lights up like a christmas tree when you aim it at the Moon. Obvious, distracting veiling glare over the whole thing, and half of it has an even stronger veiling glare off to one side or the other depending on where the moon is in the field.

The 10mm had a badly crooked field stop so part of it was in focus and part of it wasn't. The view of Jupiter was smack-you-in-the-face obviously blurry. When I compared it with my 10mm Baader Classic Ortho and 10mm TeleVue Delos, and a handful of other similar focal lengths, it was nice and sharp. When you pop in the 10mm aspheric, it's very blurry in comparison. You may be thinking it may be unfair to compare this with a $350 eyepiece, but the $100 BCO was also nice and sharp, as was a $12 9mm "gold line" (generic Orion Expanse). Cost should NOT be an issue with on-axis sharpness. The 10mm aspheric is just... blurry. I wouldn't bother with a blurry on-axis eyepiece even if it was free.

The 4mm? Too much power for the night I tested it out, but I only had to see one thing: chromatic aberration. Viewed Jupiter with it, and colored fringe was present all the way around the planet. Put my 4.5 Delos in, and no fringe was visible. Both were equally blurry because the seeing was too poor that night, but the 4mm aspheric showed noticeable color problems. It was like I was looking through a 60mm department store refractor.

At the price this set sells for, there is probably zero QA done, so you might get lucky or you might not. I wouldn't bother spending $22 on this set, let alone with Meade's 50% markup...

I'm gonna guess - total guess - that it's your last sentence that controls here.  Yeah, they ain't doing any QA on these.  And that therefore, you got a bad set.  There is some evidence to support me here - that almost to a person (with that person being you), everyone says that at least the 23mm are good, solid eyepieces.  I have used the 23s on the moon in my binoviewer, and they work well there, showing nothing what you described.  

Again, sorry that yours stank on ice, but I don't think that's everyone's experience with these.  

• agmoonsolns and ghpicard like this

#23 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:12 PM

Apparently, the 4mm makes a good DIY spectroscope lol.

• jgroub likes this

#24 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Vanguard

• Loc: NE flight path of DTW

Posted 03 November 2019 - 03:53 AM

Are these any better than the Eyepieces that come with the Meade 80 Adventure refractor which are throw away plastic junk.

Jim

#25 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 November 2019 - 04:09 AM

The 23mm is kind of a unique eyepiece *if* you are using a slower instrument. No, the correction towards the edges isn't that good, but they are unusually transparent. If you're using a scope with a slower focal ratio and using the 23mm on deep sky objects, it's phenomenal. It also has a wider field of view which helps for framing an object with more sky background.

The 23mm is much better than the throw away eyepieces that seem to plague currently made mass produced instruments. It's actually a really fun eyepiece to use. It's also comfortable and easy to view with which makes it great for star parties and public outreach.

If you want something inexpensive with unusually high contrast, a wider FOV and is comfortable to use, it's a wonderful eyepiece to have in your collection.

Edited by agmoonsolns, 03 November 2019 - 04:12 AM.

• jgroub and ghpicard like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics