•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

1986 Duplex Before & After.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: GA

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:07 PM

Finally finished the 1986 basket case Questar OTA. The OTA is pictured on a 1974 fork mount which is in excellent shape. Tested it out and everything is perfect from the collimation to the feel of the control box switches. Still working on the 1986 fork mount... I doubt I'll ever do this type of full restoration again!

Attached Thumbnails

• s-l1600.jpg
  • QQ.jpeg
  • image2.jpeg

Edited by rolo, 22 October 2019 - 10:20 PM.

• R Botero, Kevin Barker, deepwoods1 and 9 others like this

#2 spereira

spereira

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:30 AM

Absolutely gorgeous!  Excellent job.  You have a real gem there.

waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

smp

• rolo and daddymouse like this

#3 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:34 AM

Absolutely gorgeous!  Excellent job.  You have a real gem there.

waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

smp

Thanks. I'm still working on the forks which gave been a real challenge since they're in pretty rough shape. Here's a before and after of the base. It took a few rounds of wet sanding and polishing wheel...

Attached Thumbnails

• image3.jpeg
  • image1.jpeg

• Paul Schroeder, Mirzam and RichA like this

#4 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:11 AM

I love to see the before and after!
  • rolo and daddymouse like this

#5 RMay

RMay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NorCal

Posted 23 October 2019 - 09:23 AM

For polishing metals, I have had great luck with Maas. Recently restored a vintage rosewood Herman Miller Eames lounge and the legs and support brackets didn’t look much better than your case in the pic above, and it worked quite well (possibly to alleviate any need for wet sanding).

Just a thought...

And I’ll second the comment above: great effort and great to see the before and after pics.

Ron

Edited by RMay, 23 October 2019 - 09:26 AM.

#6 spereira

spereira

Apollo

• Moderators

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:10 AM

Thanks. I'm still working on the forks which gave been a real challenge since they're in pretty rough shape. Here's a before and after of the base. It took a few rounds of wet sanding and polishing wheel...

Beautiful!  Really great work.  Paying off big time.

smp

#7 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:17 AM

This is how the optics and eyepieces looked when I received it. The 32mm came out good but the 16mm is toast! Primary was clean with no fungus. All the optics cleaned up well with no coating damage or etching.waytogo.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• front.jpeg
  • image1.jpeg
  • image1.jpeg
  • image2.jpeg

Edited by rolo, 24 October 2019 - 07:17 AM.

#8 spereira

spereira

Apollo

• Moderators

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:34 AM

Absolutely gorgeous!  Fantastic job!  

For all your effort, you have a beautiful scope there.

Congratulations on a job very, very well done.

smp

#9 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:42 AM

Absolutely gorgeous!  Fantastic job!  

For all your effort, you have a beautiful scope there.

Congratulations on a job very, very well done.

smp

Thanks. I was worried it wouldn't clean off but very relieved when it did! It's an excellent optic with typical Questar star test. Such a smooth figure the diffraction rings look like they were airbrushed. 

#10 Mr. Krabappel

Mr. Krabappel

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 29 October 2019 - 03:39 PM

What a difference!

Really nice job. waytogo.gif

• rolo likes this

#11 RichA

RichA

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 30 October 2019 - 02:37 PM

I did this with a Questar someone had shoved in a closet for 7 years, after it had been wetted by dew.  Was a mess, mold all over and inside.  Luckily, none of it was permanent.

• rolo likes this

#12 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 30 October 2019 - 05:51 PM

I did this with a Questar someone had shoved in a closet for 7 years, after it had been wetted by dew.  Was a mess, mold all over and inside.  Luckily, none of it was permanent.

Hard to believe how careless folks are with these scopesfrown.gif

#13 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Show Me State

Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:55 PM

Fantastic job! Restoring these high end Maks is a lot of work and one can feel one is getting in way over our heads choosing to take on such a project. I did the same thing with a Quantum 4 many years ago. The scope was a complete disaster when I got it, wouldn't even focus when tube was tilted upwards. With some guidance from Alan Kerro the former production manager at Optical Techniques I was able to completely disassemble and restore including totally repaint a Q4. The project took me nearly a year, and just like you I told myself I'd never take on such an endeavor again. Photo of completed Q4 below. Once again, congratulations on tranforming someone's neglect and abuse into a real treasure.

489496-3.jpg

• davidmcgo, rolo, astro140 and 3 others like this

#14 Les Aperture

Les Aperture

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:36 PM

Gorgeous Quantum!

You should be, justifiably, proud! bow.gif

"Les"

• Moondust and rolo like this

#15 munirocks

munirocks

Viking 1

• Loc: Bourne End, UK

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:13 AM

Fantastic job! Restoring these high end Maks is a lot of work and one can feel one is getting in way over our heads choosing to take on such a project. I did the same thing with a Quantum 4 many years ago. The scope was a complete disaster when I got it, wouldn't even focus when tube was tilted upwards. With some guidance from Alan Kerro the former production manager at Optical Techniques I was able to completely disassemble and restore including totally repaint a Q4. The project took me nearly a year, and just like you I told myself I'd never take on such an endeavor again. Photo of completed Q4 below. Once again, congratulations on tranforming someone's neglect and abuse into a real treasure.

attachicon.gif 489496-3.jpg

Never say never again. It will be much easier and faster next time, now that you know how to do it. 

If one of your kids found a distressed Q 3.5 or Q4 and asked you to help them restore it, you know you'd leap at the chance to do such a worthy project together!

Really nice work, guys.

• Moondust, rolo and Optics Patent like this

#16 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:45 AM

Never say never again. It will be much easier and faster next time, now that you know how to do it. 

If one of your kids found a distressed Q 3.5 or Q4 and asked you to help them restore it, you know you'd leap at the chance to do such a worthy project together!

Really nice work, guys.

Totally agree on the "if your kids asked..."  There's a distressed Seven out there I know about, but I have no desire to spend months restoring another one.  Same for Cutaway (I have this fear that I'll find an owner of a 1954-55 "Pepsi" badge with original everything who offers to swap for my Cutaway).

Something a little new?  I'll bite every time.

• rolo likes this

#17 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:29 PM

attachicon.gif 489496-3.jpg

Absolutely beautiful scope. I've had a couple of the Q4's and both have been excellent.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics