•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Used C-14 & Meade 12 tubes - what are they worth?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:56 PM

I know of a C-14 tube (late 1980's much used) and a Meade 12 SCT (late 1990's - limited use, but dead fork mount electronics) for sale - but I have no idea what to offer for such beasts.

The C-14 was in an observatory for 25+ years - always seemed to be good optically - but the corrector is dirty, and there's a lot of mirror flop. Need's recoats on both mirrors and corrector? Worth anything??

The Meade is of unknown optical quality -- but the primary looks really clean. Alas, the corrector is dirty on the inside as well as the outside (looks like dew/frost deposit) and will need to be dissembled and cleaned. There's also an old Meade electric focuser (that may work). Not sure if there's a diagonal or dew shield. It will have to be de-forked and I'll have to add a Losmandy dove-tail, and maybe a dew-shield.

Either will go into my observatory for this winter - on an old Mountain Instruments MI-250 (plenty of mount for either) while I have my 10" RC worked on. My use would be mainly imaging - but I could do some visual I guess (when too lazy to haul my Dob or APO out).

Any advice - or thoughts on prices? Worth a 'low ball' offer to just see? Something like $200 for the Meade 12? I have poor scopes -- don't need another one!  tongue2.gif

#2 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:40 AM

You could do a search of CN and AstroMart classifieds to see what similar scopes have sold for in the past.  Lower your price according to your assessment of the scopes' condition.

• glmorri likes this

#3 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:25 PM

Because the 14" needs recoating you have to figure that cost into any offer.  I wouldn't want to pay more than $600 for optic compromised 14" IF interested in restoring it. While you had the optics out you could install a custom mirror lock system to help with the flop.  

The classic 12" if no recoating is necessary is worth $1200-1400 average. Because of condition needing cleaning I wouldn't offer more than $1000.  

• George N likes this

#4 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2019 - 10:45 AM

Alas -- both scopes got away from me!

The C-14 (made in 1987) and a much later Celestron CGE mount (non-functional) went for $550. The complete Meade LX-200 12-inch, non-functional fork mount, tripod -- went for $300.

I surely hope the new owners get some great observing out of them -- but the amount of repair/refurb was too much for me. As I mentioned - I knew the C-14 was optically good, but the Meade, which is what I really wanted, was never tested by either me or the seller (donated scope).

#5 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 27 October 2019 - 10:56 AM

$1500 if the C14 has super optics. $1100 if the 12" Meade has super optics. These are very hit and miss scopes, one can be super good and the next a mush dog.

Edited by CHASLX200, 27 October 2019 - 10:57 AM.

#6 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2019 - 11:46 AM

$1500 if the C14 has super optics. $1100 if the 12" Meade has super optics. These are very hit and miss scopes, one can be super good and the next a mush dog.

Ya.... that was my concern with the 12" -- I don't need a "mush dog" -- no matter what the price!  ;)

I knew the C-14 was optically good -- but after many years in an observatory (pine pollen, acid dew, etc) -- it seemed apparent that both the mirrors and corrector needed new coatings - plus there was a lot of mirror flop the last time I used it.

The folks who bought the scopes -- for more than I offered -- were quite aware of what they were getting -- and the institutional seller got their 'space' back -- and some $$.

I guess everyone is happy -- except I will always now wonder if that Meade 12 was a "super optics" scope!

#7 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 October 2019 - 11:51 AM

These are very hit and miss scopes, one can be super good and the next a mush dog.

Only in your personal opinion    

There wasn't a rash of returned 12" or 14" scopes in anyone's recollection except your own perceived performance level expectations of whatever scopes you might have had access to.  

Your statement isn't a good quantitative measure but great distractor from reality that no en-mass reports of failures exist. 

#8 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2019 - 12:23 PM

There wasn't a rash of returned 12" or 14" scopes in anyone's recollection except your own perceived performance level expectations of whatever scopes you might have had access to.  

Your statement isn't a good quantitative measure but great distractor from reality that no en-mass reports of failures exist. 

In the case of the two tubes in question - the C-14 was a "Halley-Mania Era" tube -- but perhaps surprisingly -- quite a fine performer - that unfortunately has seen better days. If one were interested in a complete coating and mechanical re-furb effort, it was sold at a 'very good deal' price, and will provide the new owner a lot of great views. I have read a post by the owner of Astro Physics describing observing thru a C-14 at the WSP that he considered "barely a third of a wave" -- I accept the word of a man who knows a little about telescope performance -- and assume "they" (the mush dogs) are out there, meaning that I would like to view thru a used C-14 (except the latest) before buying.

The Meade 12 also needed cleaning of the inside of the corrector -- and -- I had no chance to test it, and no one else that I knew had looked thru it.

According to "Unk Rod's Used Cat Buyer's Guide" -- in the section describing early LX-200 "classic" scopes, he advises:

quote "The 10s tended to be excellent, with Dr. Clay Sherrod having seen, he says, some that actually reached near null on testing. On the other hand, the 12-inch could be iffy, and so could the big 16.". I have used only one early Meade 10 and it was excellent -- however, I think many of us would take Unk Rod's word as being pretty accurate. I took it to mean "test before buying" with early Meade 12's. I was willing to take a chance at a "fire sale" price -- but another guy was willing to pay more, and he is very experienced with bringing old SCTs back to life.

Edited by George N, 27 October 2019 - 12:24 PM.

#9 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 27 October 2019 - 02:36 PM

I had a very bad Orange C14 and one soft 12" Meade and one sharp 12" Meade. Very hit and miss. Test before buying if you can is all i gotta say. All the 1990's made  10" LX200's i had were very good. 

Edited by CHASLX200, 27 October 2019 - 02:38 PM.

#10 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 October 2019 - 02:50 PM

I had a very bad Orange C14 and one soft 12" Meade and one sharp 12" Meade. Very hit and miss. Test before buying if you can is all i gotta say. All the 1990's made  10" LX200's i had were very good. 

Again, based on limited number... 3 units out of thousands.  

#11 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 27 October 2019 - 03:34 PM

Again, based on limited number... 3 units out of thousands.  

Owned 60 SCT's and only 6 were very good and one super good. Not a good avg.  

#12 Stephen Kennedy

Stephen Kennedy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California

Posted 30 October 2019 - 01:48 AM

It is my impression that when an old SCT reaches the point that it has to have both mirrors re-coated, it is time to retire the telescope.  Even if you could find someone who would do it, re-coating the mirrors on a C14 is a major production and likely to be much more costly than something like a Newtonian.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics