•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Samyang 135mm f2 cannot reach infinity focus 6D

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 elakrab

elakrab

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:10 PM

Hi,

I just got a Samyang 135mm f2 and ... big bummer, the focus cannot reach infinity by really little :( :(  

I know that in many cameras there are some focusing adjustment screws hidden in the focusing rubber or somewhere else. Is that the case of the Samyang/Rokinon? Anyone has manipulated those to move the focusing a bit to allow infinity focus? 

Big thanks

#2 B 26354

B 26354

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:32 AM

Doesn't sound right, to me. I've never encountered a standard camera lens that couldn't focus at infinity... and these days, digital-camera lenses reach focus beyond infinity. If you bought it new... return it for a replacement. If you bought it used... return it for a refund.

#3 elakrab

elakrab

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:00 AM

Nevermind, I just did some quick surgery on the samyang and now it focuses correctly to infinity as it is supposed to be without the stopper getting in the middle :) . The procedure is similar to the one for their 85mm and other manual prime lenses. Not the first lens I have to do this to but definitely one of the easiest ones https://www.dyxum.co...topic76615.html

So, instructions:

1) Peel the rubber out 

2) remove the 3 screws at 120 degrees. That will allow to retreat the focuser ring and access the stopper silver colored plate with its two screws. Move a bit the screws so that the stopper allows to move past infinite (the adjustement is just of a couple of mm, not more).

3) fix again the 2 adjusting screws to fix the stopper to its new position.

4) move the focuser tube back to its place and check (in my case I did it with a star) the focusing point to infinite so that we can put the focuser with its scale back to its correct position.

5) screw back in the 3 120 degrees screws.

6) Put the rubber band back in

Enjoy the lens :) .

• h2ologg, Jim Waters, MikeMiller and 1 other like this

#4 elakrab

elakrab

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:02 AM

Doesn't sound right, to me. I've never encountered a standard camera lens that couldn't focus at infinity... and these days, digital-camera lenses reach focus beyond infinity. If you bought it new... return it for a replacement. If you bought it used... return it for a refund.

It doesn't depend on the camera, it depends on the lens, the backfocus and how the stoppers are set (if there are stoppers). Not the first lens I encounter with this issue and tolerances are so low that it may change from unit to unit. Fortunately manufacturers know and if the lens is not a terrible one it should come prepared to be serviced this way. 

Edited by elakrab, 23 October 2019 - 01:02 AM.

#5 tkottary

tkottary

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Jose,CA

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:16 AM

I have 2 of these and both of them stop right at infinity. Not a mm after that . I had to adjust spacers with 1600 and 071 to get them into focus. I will give this method a go once current projects gets done. 

#6 Traveler

Traveler

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 23 October 2019 - 04:42 AM

When i recieved a lens and i have to do what you did, i send it back...

• guyroch likes this

#7 calypsob

calypsob

Aurora

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:01 AM

Very interesting! I would have returned it but now you have fixed it yourself. This may be helpful for ccd and cmos users who have slight spacing issues.

#8 B 26354

B 26354

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 23 October 2019 - 09:06 AM

It doesn't depend on the camera, it depends on the lens, the backfocus and how the stoppers are set (if there are stoppers). Not the first lens I encounter with this issue and tolerances are so low that it may change from unit to unit. Fortunately manufacturers know and if the lens is not a terrible one it should come prepared to be serviced this way. 

Thanks. I do realize that the issue isn't camera-dependent. What I didn't realize, is that this is a manual lens. Since this is a DSLR and digital camera forum, I just assumed that the lens was a typical auto-focus lens. I always focus my AF lenses manually, whether I'm shooting terrestrial or astro... so I'm used to having lenses that do not have infinity stops.

Good job, fixing it! grin.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics