•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Scientific Collaborations?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Romi

Romi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:54 PM

Hi all,

Is anyone aware of some ongoing scientific research that might need the additional

contributions from amateurs in interesting studies?

If so, I will be happy to hear, consider and to take part.

Best,

Romi

#2 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:31 AM

Hi all,

Is anyone aware of some ongoing scientific research that might need the additional

contributions from amateurs in interesting studies?

If so, I will be happy to hear, consider and to take part.

Best,

Romi

What do you have to offer?

You need to narrow your scope and offer how you think you can add value:
#1 not enough readers visit this section,

the particular amateur-focused posting of needed collaboration are always in the sections that apply  (gen obs/solar system/observational astrophysics/etc....).

#2 not many are going to take the bait of some random OP thread-starter than hasn't offered how they can contribute value.

Do you live in a particular area of the world?

Do you have a solar scope?

Do you have a 14" reflector?

Do you know how to track moving objects?

Do you know how to capture an asteroid occultation?

Do you have time to carefully browse through many sets of astro-images?

Do you have gear to take your own astrophotography?

lots of ongoing ways amateurs contribute and particular time specific postings happen now and then...

Remember those that seek collaboration in scientific efforts seek competent and accurate help, so they often aren't just looking for warm bodies......

good luck!

#3 GDAstrola

GDAstrola

Vostok 1

• Loc: St. Louis

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:10 AM

https://www.astrolea...science-program

Take a look at the above link and hopefully something will pique your interest.

Gary

#4 Romi

Romi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:50 AM

Hi Gary and t_image,

Thanks for the response.

First, my post was more addressed for the general community (not necessarily for myself, although I am interested in such projects).

Second, I find too little such opportunities for an (advanced) amateur who wants to offer his/her gear/effort/knowledge/time to support

ongoing interesting scientific projects.

Although it is obvious that a large part of the amateur community may not have the suitable background nor the equipment to

participate in scientific projects, I bet (and actually know) that quite a few of us do have skills, gear and willingness to 

support scientific studies (without neglecting, of course, the creation of beautiful photos of celestial objects.....).

I am sure that if such projects were opened for several levels of participation (in a similar manner of the THE ASTRONOMICAL LEAGUE - thanks Gary),

you might be surprised by the potential power of the contributions these projects may receive by many enthusiastic amateur astronomers.

Best

Romi

#5 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Aurora

• Loc: Where the stars at night are big and bright...

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:19 PM

The AAVSO would be one of the larger amateur contributions to science. Asteroid occultations would be another and can be done with modest equipment that even a beginner has. Expoplanet observations are desperately needed in following up with TESS discoveries. For those without equipment of their own, check out zooniverse citizen science projects that anyone can do in their spare time.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics