•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

sky watcher synscan wi fi adapter

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mickbut

mickbut

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2019 - 09:48 AM

I am a beginner to astronomy, bit late in life for me as I am seventy two years old, I have just purchased a sky star discovery 150p telescope with alt/azimuth go to mount with wi fi adapter, I have had no problems connecting my android phone but I am having trouble with identifying objects in the sky and alignment, I am aware of the learning curve to do that and it's not been helped by cloudy sky's, I am in the Northern hemisphere and only have a view facing s/e s s/w due to restrictions, trees, etc. can anyone help with a problem I am having with the Synscan pro app. I managed alignment of the scope and decided  to have a look at m2 the telescope  went to the destination and started tracking after tracking for a while, I thought I would like to look at Neptune but I could not stop it tracking, i'm sure I have done something wrong but in the absence of instructions as to how to use the app I'm at a loss has to how to overcome this as there appears to be no cancel or stop feature,thanks   

#2 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:31 AM

My first suggestion is to see if there is a local astronomy club anywhere near you.  You'll probably be able to get some hands on help to solve your problem and answer your questions.  There is a list of clubs here:  https://www.astrolea...clubs-usa-state  or https://www.skyandte...-organizations/

My first guess would be that your telescope is not correctly aligned with the sky.  If you are unsure of the alignment star names/locations go to skymaps.com and download the monthly pdf (http://www.skymaps.com/downloads.html).  The skymap should help you locate/identify the brighter stars in the parts of the sky you can see from your restricted location. 

As you set up your scope make sure the tripod is level.  When centering the alignment stars first use the longest focal length eyepiece (the one with the biggest number) and then switch to the shortest (the one with the smallest number) before pressing the OK.

• mickbut likes this

#3 mickbut

mickbut

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:05 PM

HI thanks for responding with your comments, I have joined a local club but don't really know anybody yet, I do accept i'm probably to blame and I will continue to try and learn. do you think this will solve the issue with the tracking and being able to stop it midway, thanks  again for taking the trouble

#4 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:48 PM

If the mount is aligned to the sky correctly once you do a goto the scope should roughly point to the object and it should stay in the field for a long time (particularly if you are looking with a long focal length eyepiece).

• mickbut likes this

#5 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:44 PM

As you have an Android I am going to suggest you spend a further $14 or $15 and get Skysafari. Get the Plus version, Pro is too big and not sure the Free one has scope control.

Then do the alignment with the Synscan app and check the last alignment star is centered.

Then bring Skysafari into play.

It should connect and synchronise itself with the Synscan app and place the "cross" on the same star.

After that you tap the next target, it gets selected then you tap the Skysafari Goto button.

I have that arrangement on a small Skywatcher AZ GTi and has works perfectly, and is very easy.

You have to align with the Synscan app but sounds that you have that bit under control. The Skysafari bit is just so obvious.

Have to say never used the Synscan to goto anything once aligned, maybe I had better try it one day. undecided.gif undecided.gif undecided.gif

Apologies for adding technology but I suspect it could be the best answer.

Alignment on Skywatchers is not always easy, they pick some strange alignment stars and ignore seemingly obvious other ones. Stand and look and identify say 4, 5 or 6 then pick 2 from the list offered by the app.

Edited by sg6, 23 October 2019 - 08:47 PM.

• mickbut likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics