•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO EAF and Skywatcher Evostar ED80

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Billx

Billx

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2019 - 09:58 AM

Has anyone used a ZWO EAF on a Skywatcher Evostar ED80?  It is not listed in their compatibility list, and I am not sure if it could be attached easily.

I have mentioned it in their forum, but have not received a reply.

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:06 AM

Neither of the scopes I've mounted my EAF on (WO Z61 and WO GT-71) are listed on the EAF "compatibility list."

In both cases, the EAF bracket bolted right on with no modifications needed.

Their list only includes scopes they themselves have tested it on.  It's not complete by any means.

From a photo I found on here of the Evostar 80ED focuser:

post-254952-0-32954000-1452120832.jpg

...it looks like you could use either the "Level" holes (replacing the existing screws with longer ones so you can still adjust the level, and using washers above the EAF bracket), or perhaps two of the four unlabeled-in-the-photo mounting screws (again, replacing them with longer ones) to mount the EAF bracket.

#3 descott12

descott12

Vendor - Solar Live View

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:25 AM

I bet it would. The bracket is pretty flexible so you should be able to get a bolt or two in the right place. It is a very nice quality device and it works really well.

#4 Billx

Billx

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:54 AM

Thanks - this helps a lot in making my decision.

#5 MikeECha

MikeECha

Vostok 1

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:00 PM

Thanks - this helps a lot in making my decision.

Hello Billx,

I wonder how you ended up installing the AEF on your Evostar. I will receive mine tomorrow. 

Any tip or trick would be great. 

Thanks

#6 emrlaw

emrlaw

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:14 PM

Hello Billx,

I wonder how you ended up installing the AEF on your Evostar. I will receive mine tomorrow. 

Any tip or trick would be great. 

Thanks

I just installed the ZWO EAF on my Evostar a few days ago. I replaced the 4 "unlabeled" screws in the above photo with 4 longer "gun" screws from my local hardware store. The shortest screws I could find were about 1" and I easily cut them with a hacksaw to about 3/4". Then it was easy to mount it to the focuser and so far it's working great. Good luck!

#7 MikeECha

MikeECha

Vostok 1

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:51 PM

I just installed the ZWO EAF on my Evostar a few days ago. I replaced the 4 "unlabeled" screws in the above photo with 4 longer "gun" screws from my local hardware store. The shortest screws I could find were about 1" and I easily cut them with a hacksaw to about 3/4". Then it was easy to mount it to the focuser and so far it's working great. Good luck!

Thanks for your response. I install mine last night but have not operated it yet.

That is interesting. The bracket that came with my camera does not allow the use those screws. The center of the slots do not match the width of the bolts you mentioned. They are too close by about 1mm so when you instatall one screw the one on the other side is partially covered by the braket. I used the two big screws (4mm maybe?) that came in the package on the locking screw hole of the focuser and the other hole with a set screw on the other side. That worked perfectly.

I actually started to remove the 4 outer screws and that allowed the focuser tube to wobble. I took the mechanism appart and to my surprise it is not a rack and pinion mechanism. It completly relays on friction between the knob shaft and the flat surface on the focuser tube. So, since the locking screw is not present and depending on how tight those screws are, the focuser tube can slide in or out by itself even when the motor is preventing the knobs to turn.

I also found that the knob shaft has no flat on the coarse knob side so there is potential for slippage there too. If I encouter slippage i will grind a flat on the end.

Thank you for your response. 

#8 Billx

Billx

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:52 AM

I just ordered the EAF after seeing your results.

BTW - what is a "gun" screw?

#9 cedric_frenchy

cedric_frenchy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Today, 04:29 AM

Hi all,

I just bought the evostar 80ed DS, with the zwo EAF.
I can not find the reference of the screws to fix the plate on the eyepiece holder ...
I tested M3, too small, M4 too large .... (metric, i'm french)

Could you help me and give me the reference of the screws?

Thank you

Edited by cedric_frenchy, Today, 04:58 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics