•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ISS transit video

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 adamphillips

adamphillips

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:29 AM

this viseo was a lot of fun to make, its pretty entertaining, I don't know if youtube links work here, but you guys will like this one.

https://www.youtube....h?v=yHAMArc2uAE

this is my first ever transit, it came out good, but I could try more focal length next time.also, even though this looks like night time. it was taken during the day. 

I used a ZWO ASI178mc and a 

stellarvue 80mm with a reducer down to 384mm.

• bill w, PhotonJohn, Kokatha man and 10 others like this

#2 petert913

petert913

Soyuz

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:38 AM

Man, that thing is cruising !!

• 2696 likes this

#3 t_image

t_image

Gemini

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:11 AM

Nice one with the fun video!

When you say daytime, what do you mean? High noon? Twilight?

Again the capture is fun but the stories of how you did it are even better. Backyard? Did you drive somewhere?

Did you have to 'drive-by' on a country roadwith quick setup and tear down.

That's the stuff that makes a video and an observation report the most fun!

#4 sunnyday

sunnyday

Apollo

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:16 AM

verry nice of you 

thanks

#5 Allanbarth1

Allanbarth1

Skylab

• Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:25 AM

Very neat video. It put a smile on my face. Had to give you a thumbs on your channel up for that. 

#6 Gert

Gert

Ranger 4

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:33 AM

Hi,

I also have made a video of ISS across the Sun.

http://skywatcher.sp...paign_2019.html

To find the transit I have used the transit-finder website.

https://transit-finder.com/

Clear Skies,

Gert

#7 flt158

flt158

Apollo

• Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:53 AM

Profound You Tube video or viseo by Adam Phillips. goodjob.gif

ISS is speeding over the Apennines and Jura mountains. 

Clear skies, 

Aubrey. 

#8 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Viking 1

• Loc: Viera Florida

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:38 PM

Great video Adam !

My first ISS solar transit capture almost didn't happen. After setting up on what I thought was county property less than 2 miles from my home, a Brevard County Sheriff pulled up and told me I was on private property owned by the largest sod farm in Florida.  After explaining to him what I was up to, the Sheriff called the property owner and got permission for me to stay.  This all took place with 18 minutes before the transit.  With five minutes to spare I was ready to start my avi.  Transit- finder.com was spot on for timing and location.  Below is one frame from my capture.  Captured with a Lunt LS-60THAD/B12C and ZWO ASI 174mm camera shooting at 120fps using Sharpcap 3.2.

20190609_005555.jpg

Edited by PhotonJohn, 23 October 2019 - 02:09 PM.

• brave_ulysses, Dartguy and sunnyday like this

#9 adamphillips

adamphillips

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:26 PM

Nice one with the fun video!

When you say daytime, what do you mean? High noon? Twilight?

Again the capture is fun but the stories of how you did it are even better. Backyard? Did you drive somewhere?

Did you have to 'drive-by' on a country roadwith quick setup and tear down.

That's the stuff that makes a video and an observation report the most fun!

this was a great opportunity for me. i just started looking into the transits on iss transit finder, and i saw this one was pretty close to my house, and i saw wow that looks really close to my buddies house and i zoomed in and his house was almost dead center.

so i set up the night before and i brought my edge 11 for visual, so i got to show play with his kids, show them jupiter and saturn, M13, M57, the night before. a very light polluted place but still it was great. saturn is always the kids favorite. 

then I put on the refractor and camera and got it focused for the transit

then i came back in the morning to get the video. it was 7:57 am so the sun was up. but through the camera it almost looked like a black sky. you can see in the first raw clip just a hint of blue. after that one I made them all look better.

the video was so much fun to make, it just evolved into something awesome.

#10 adamphillips

adamphillips

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:27 PM

and thanks for all the kind words everybody.

#11 adamphillips

adamphillips

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:09 PM

Great video Adam !

My first ISS solar transit capture almost didn't happen. After setting up on what I thought was county property less than 2 miles from my home, a Brevard County Sheriff pulled up and told me I was on private property owned by the largest sod farm in Florida.  After explaining to him what I was up to, the Sheriff called the property owner and got permission for me to stay.  This all took place with 18 minutes before the transit.  With five minutes to spare I was ready to start my avi.  Transit- finder.com was spot on for timing and location.  Below is one frame from my capture.  Captured with a Lunt LS-60THAD/B12C and ZWO ASI 174mm camera shooting at 120fps using Sharpcap 3.2.

attachicon.gif 20190609_005555.jpg

i had a question for you, i havent done any solar imaging yet but i really want to know the right filter to get. i want something that will let me capture all the detail that you have in your photo. i dont know where to start

• PhotonJohn likes this

#12 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Viking 1

Posted 23 October 2019 - 09:39 PM

Watch this video. It explains the basics and gives you an idea of what you need.  My solar scope is small but efficient.  It is not cheap but not top of the line.  You can buy a Day Star Quark Chromosphere model and attach it to your 80 mm Stellarvue.  Add a ZWO ASI or similar monochrome high speed camera and you are in for around $1500.  You will also need an IR cut filter.  The video below is by Marty Wise, who I consider the best solar imager ever.  He posts incredible images on the solar observing and imaging forum almost daily. I started my solar imaging in March of 2019.  By following Marty's instructions I was able to capture and process in no time.  I am no expert but with practice I am getting better.  I can't wait for this solar minimum to pass.  Below are some images of AR 2741 and 2740 that I captured using Marty's video.

https://www.youtube....h?v=G-41RMTCdTE

20190705_142048.jpg

20190630_002932.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• AR27384.jpg

#13 adamphillips

adamphillips

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:23 PM

Watch this video. It explains the basics and gives you an idea of what you need.  My solar scope is small but efficient.  It is not cheap but not top of the line.  You can buy a Day Star Quark Chromosphere model and attach it to your 80 mm Stellarvue.  Add a ZWO ASI or similar monochrome high speed camera and you are in for around $1500.  You will also need an IR cut filter.  The video below is by Marty Wise, who I consider the best solar imager ever.  He posts incredible images on the solar observing and imaging forum almost daily. I started my solar imaging in March of 2019.  By following Marty's instructions I was able to capture and process in no time.  I am no expert but with practice I am getting better.  I can't wait for this solar minimum to pass.  Below are some images of AR 2741 and 2740 that I captured using Marty's video.

https://www.youtube....h?v=G-41RMTCdTE

attachicon.gif 20190705_142048.jpg

[attachment=1362304:20190630_002932.jp

attachicon.gif AR27384.jpg

i like your work, its just a bit different from what ive seen so far, do you have any prominences?

#14 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Viking 1

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:19 AM

Like I stated I am not an expert, only a beginner.  Still learning Photoshop and ImPPG.  The guys on solar imaging tell me to use ImPPG instead of Registax to help smooth out my images.

AR27386.jpg

Edited by PhotonJohn, 24 October 2019 - 08:09 AM.

#15 adamphillips

adamphillips

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:09 PM

Like I stated I am not an expert, only a beginner.  Still learning Photoshop and ImPPG.  The guys on solar imaging tell me to use ImPPG instead of Registax to help smooth out my images.

attachicon.gif AR27386.jpg

quick question, he might have stated this in the video but do you use filters over the lens or can you get a little 1.25 filter to go on the ASI with nosepiece?

#16 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Viking 1

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:40 PM

My scope is a Lunt LS-60THAD/B12C. It is a dedicated solar scope, I don't need filters.  I just place the ZWO  ASI 174mm into the 1.25 diagonal/BF 1200 blocking filter.  Marty is using a Daystar Quark attached to an 80 mm refractor in his tutorial.  A Quark refractor combo is a completely different set up. My Lunt is pictured below without the camera attached. I remove the eyepiece and replace it with the camera.  I also use a 2X or 3X Barlow sometimes.  Without the Barlow my camera gives me a full disc image.  The camera/scope set up goes for around 3 to 4 thousand dollars.  If you use your 80 mm Stellarview with a Quark you would place an IR filter between the scope and the Quark.  You could get a D-ERF (Dielectric Energy Rejection Filter) for your refractor eliminating the need for an IR filter but the D-ERF is quite expensive. Don't take my word as gospel.  Contact the guys at Lunt or Daystar.  Check out this thread for more info on filters and Quarks.

https://www.cloudyni...10-erf-options/

20170526_145528.jpg

Edited by PhotonJohn, 24 October 2019 - 09:28 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics