•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC7293 and lessons learned...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Skyshooter

Skyshooter

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: S. Utah, U.S.A.

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:36 PM

Howdy, The image I'm sharing is an alternate. 

I traveled a few miles to get to a relatively dark site last night. My intention was to image IC1848, " the soul nebula ". 

Upon getting my rig set up, tracking and focused, I started my exposures of 1848 and remembered after four exposures that I had left the bahtinov mask on !

I took off the mask and started my exposures again. We started up the car and turned on the heater to warm up. after a couple of exposures I checked out

the image and the focus was pretty bad. What was happening was the heat plume off the engine of the car was ruining my images! I decided to turn off the engine,

point the scope in the opposite direction and "rough it" in the cold car. I set the scope on the Helix Nebula. After all of this I was only able to get an hours worth of subs.

Too much time freezing. It got down to 32 degrees ( I know, I'm a wimp... ). I'd like to go back after this one... I was surprised what could be done with such little time.

Anyhow, I'm sure no one else has ever left their bahtinov mask on their scope when imaging right.....? I'm gonna have to get a battery for the scope or a longer extension

for power... gotta keep that warm car away from the scope.

Image details: Helix Nebula - 22 Oct. 2019

15 x 240" light frames - 10 darks -10 flats - 10 bias

Canon 1000D Baader mod. - ISO 800

Stellarvue SVR90t on Losmandy GM8

ZS66 guidescope - orion autoguider - PHD2

APT for image acquisition - DeepSkyStacker

and Photoshop post processing. - image 1/3 crop

Thanks for looking and puttin up with my sob story...

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC_7293_Shrunk.jpg

• Starman27, mikewayne3, DuncanM and 3 others like this

#2 Gipht

Gipht

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:57 PM

Nice picture.

Well it may be a little embarrassing to leave  it on and catch it right of way.  Not quite as bad  as leaving it  on for hours. This is one of my more interesting pictures:

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

• Rickster likes this

#3 Skyshooter

Skyshooter

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: S. Utah, U.S.A.

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:40 PM

Wow, that is amazing...

Reminds me of a long weekend in Vegas when I was younger....!

#4 steven40

steven40

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:01 PM

Nice picture.

Well it may be a little embarrassing to leave  it on and catch it right of way.  Not quite as bad  as leaving it  on for hours. This is one of my more interesting pictures:

I really appreciate knowing I'm not the only one who's imaged several hours on a rare night with the Bahtinov mask on!

I usually delete them but maybe we should start a new "Bahtinov Mask Astrophoto" thread.................lol.gif

Steve

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics