•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

"The Ultimatum" TMB-LZOS 152/1200 LW

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• topic starter
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:10 AM

My latest and possibly last refractor purchase according to my dear ever-patient wife flowerred.gif .....

After a 2500 klm journey over two days from Canberra to Brisbane, I arrived home last Thursday with TMB-LZOS 152mm F7.9 @ 1200mm  # 245.....  cool.gif 

It took quite bit of armwrestling to get my friend Chris to part with the scope, he had owned it since it was born...

In order to satisfy my OCD monster within, I decided that a little bit of cleaning was warranted so out with the objective cell to remove a bit of salty air haze from both inside and outside the cell.

I also removed the tube rings for a fresh coat of paint and just today added a carbon fibre/aluminium handle to make the beast more manageable.

First light will have to wait until the weekend due to family commitments undecided.gif

Next project is to make an extension for the EM400 tripod to get the scope high enough to clear the legs ... maybe tomorrow smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• MIS_7648.jpg
  • MIS_7652.jpg
  • MIS_7657.jpg

• Scott Beith, zjc26138, Scott in NC and 34 others like this

#2 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:19 AM

The scope came with a bunch of Baader accessories that Chris had recently added to it for its new role as a visual scope.

The standard end cap for the Featherouch 3.5" focuser has been replaced with the Baader #2956241 End Cap/ClickLock (original also came with the scope)

The included diagonal is the Baader 2" BBHS Sitall Mirror diagonal, also with ClickLock clamp, though I expect my Zeiss Prism and Zeiss Binoviewer will get more sky time than the 2"BBHS.

For protection I also received a custom ScopeGuard case and Telegizmos 365 cover.

I will try to get the lot together on Saturday for some pictures.......

• Castor and Colin exraaf like this

#3 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:38 AM

Nice, Matt. Enjoy.

I used Full Sun's version of the same scope a decade or so back - a really nice instrument.

• Kunama likes this

#4 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:32 AM

Matt,

That is no easy task for someone with Takitis lol.gif

• Castor and Kunama like this

#5 fate187

fate187

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saxony, Germany

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:40 AM

Have fun with your new scope. The 152 will give you nice planetary but also deep sky views. I have two LZOS scopes. And I especially like the TMB decal.

Edit: The comparison woth the 140 will be interesting...

best regards

Michael

Edited by fate187, 24 October 2019 - 03:40 AM.

#6 DJ N

DJ N

Explorer 1

• Loc: South Australia

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:49 AM

Exquisite purchase Matt

Looking forward to hearing about first light!

All the best.

Cheers

Daniel

#7 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Skylab

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:20 AM

Beautiful Matt, well done. I’m looking forward to your impressions under the stars.

I did have to laugh at your opening line though. You know it’s us you’re talking to!

• 3 i Guy, Castor and Colin exraaf like this

#8 Colin exraaf

Colin exraaf

Ranger 4

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:27 AM

I did have to laugh at your opening line though. You know it’s us you’re talking to!

Yeah Matt, your talking to us matey... not some ' dude ' at the end of the street  shameonyou.gif

waytogo.gif 

Edited by Colin exraaf, 24 October 2019 - 06:31 AM.

• 3 i Guy and Castor like this

#9 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:55 AM

You do know what an ultimatum is right?

Or did your wife issue the Ultimatum?

🤣

#10 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:30 AM

You CLEANED the lens?!  Now I'll only offer you US$1500 for the scope.  The glass has been touched.  It's likely ruined.  Ugh.

Alan Wade and Colin exraaf: Kunama did say, "possibly".  That leaves the door open.  Wide open.

Congratulations, Kunama.  I've always wanted either an FS-152 or a 6" TMB (these two even more than a TEC or AP, sorry Yuri and Roland).  But then I got into mirror scopes and have been distracted.  Perhaps someday.

• Scott Beith, Colin exraaf, Allan Wade and 1 other like this

#11 Esso2112

Esso2112

Viking 1

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:08 PM

Congrats on the TMB. They are wonderful scopes and the LZOS objectives are superb.

#12 garret

garret

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:46 PM

I don't want to tear down your awesome telescope... lol.gif  but are these shims intruding the optical path?

For high quality imaging any intrusion is unwanted (to get a nice halo around stars)

Attached Thumbnails

• pos.jpg

Edited by garret, 24 October 2019 - 12:47 PM.

#13 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:42 PM

Thanks guys, to answer some ???:

Takitis is in remission smile.gif ,

I did say 'possibly' cool.gif ,

the Ultimatum did come from the wife bawling.gif , 

for USD 1500 I would have to charge you postage undecided.gif ,

no, the shims don't seem to intrude and what is 'imaging'  flowerred.gif

Looks like the Zeiss binoviewers will come to focus without any GPCs, though I will probably use one as the effective focal length of 1500mm will suit my eyepiece pairs for lunar/planetary.

• Scott Beith, Castor, John O'Grady and 5 others like this

#14 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:27 PM

for USD 1500 I would have to charge you postage  ,

For US$1500, I'll come and pick it up.

no, the shims don't seem to intrude and what is 'imaging'  waytogo.gif 

• noisejammer, Colin exraaf and Kunama like this

#15 John Huntley

John Huntley

Vanguard

• Loc: Portishead, SW England - mentioned in the Domesday Book.

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:36 PM

Lovely scope Matt smile.gif

I have a 130m F/9.2 of a similar vintage and its superb in every respect grin.gif

On the subject of shims / spacers, the longer ones shown in the photo (arrowed in garrets post) do not protrude into the light path at all. They support the reverse side of the inner lens element against a rim built into the objective cell. Neither the rim or those shims intrude into the clear aperture of the objective.

LZOS use small foil spacers (shown above the much longer support shim in the photo) to separate the three lens elements and these intrude only fractionally into the clear aperture, having no effect on the image that I can see.

Notice how the support shim and the two spacers are aligned with the sprung pressure point on the inner lens retaining ring so they form a neat stack. This optimises the pressure around the lens element rims and indicates to me how carefully the LZOS objective cell is designed and installed.

Edited by John Huntley, 24 October 2019 - 06:46 PM.

• Scott Beith, Castor and Kunama like this

#16 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:48 AM

Thanks John,I have seen your pictures, I almost ordered a 130 but then this deal came up....

The scope really is a beast, so much so that today I had to add some height to the EM400 tripod to be certain the scope cannot hit the tripod when viewing at zenith....

Started with 500mm of 30mm Ø solid aluminium bar stock, chucked it in the lathe, parted off six 70mm pieces, bored 8.5mm holes through them and spin polished them.

Machined off a little flange on the back of the tripod adapter and bolted the 6 legs using M8 x 100mm s/s cap screws....

Attached Thumbnails

• MIS_7661.jpg
  • MIS_7662.jpg
  • MIS_7663.jpg

• ad701xx, Scott Beith, peleuba and 19 others like this

#17 AtmosFearIC

AtmosFearIC

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:01 AM

Seriously is looking beautiful Matt. And although it may be the last refractor you buy Matt, I’m sure your wife is well aware that refractors breed when we’re not looking so if more show up it’s not your fault, it just happens!
  • Castor and Colin exraaf like this

#18 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:11 AM

Seriously is looking beautiful Matt. And although it may be the last refractor you buy Matt, I’m sure your wife is well aware that refractors breed when we’re not looking so if more show up it’s not your fault, it just happens!

Thanks Colin,  I'm just trying to decide whether to keep the APM140mmF7...... I need a scope for outreach but even an 8"F4 like the R200SS would suffice for that... The new scope won't be making any appearances at outreach events...

• Scott Beith likes this

#19 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:29 AM

Congratulations Matt!

Love the picture of the Saturn V next to the scope. One launched humans into space and the other will launch your mind into space just as effectively. Looking forward to your reports.

CM

• Scott Beith, Castor, ianatcn and 1 other like this

#20 fate187

fate187

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saxony, Germany

Posted 25 October 2019 - 06:08 AM

Thanks Colin,  I'm just trying to decide whether to keep the APM140mmF7...... I need a scope for outreach but even an 8"F4 like the R200SS would suffice for that... The new scope won't be making any appearances at outreach events...

Why is that? Fear of theft? Pure interest...

#21 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:35 AM

Why is that? Fear of theft? Pure interest...

Our outreach events get around 1500 people, a third of them kids who have to touch everything, this scope is going to be just for me and friends...cool.gif

• Scott Beith, turtle86, Castor and 3 others like this

#22 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:12 AM

Yes I also bring "other" gear to most outreach events ... especially eyepieces. My friends are always suggesting that I bring my TMB too, but I also prefer to keep that out of the reach of the kids ... or only bring it out late at night when most of the yard apes have lost interest and gone elsewhere. I do love it when folks (doesn't matter what age) who are really interested stick around (or come over with neighbours to view something), then I get to really enjoy the interaction.

This is about the only downside to owning one of these wonderful scopes.

#23 John Huntley

John Huntley

Vanguard

• Loc: Portishead, SW England - mentioned in the Domesday Book.

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:20 PM

Thanks John,I have seen your pictures, I almost ordered a 130 but then this deal came up....

The scope really is a beast, so much so that today I had to add some height to the EM400 tripod to be certain the scope cannot hit the tripod when viewing at zenith....

Started with 500mm of 30mm Ø solid aluminium bar stock, chucked it in the lathe, parted off six 70mm pieces, bored 8.5mm holes through them and spin polished them.

Machined off a little flange on the back of the tripod adapter and bolted the 6 legs using M8 x 100mm s/s cap screws....

That looks excellent Matt smile.gif

I'm still looking for a solid but affordable mount for my 130mm F/9.2 TMB/LZOS. I'll be very interested to see how your AZ-EQ6 fares with your 152mm F/8. It might just be the mount for my scope too !

#24 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:44 PM

That looks excellent Matt smile.gif

I'm still looking for a solid but affordable mount for my 130mm F/9.2 TMB/LZOS. I'll be very interested to see how your AZ-EQ6 fares with your 152mm F/8. It might just be the mount for my scope too !

John, the AZ-EQ6 will be just fine, my TSA120 Binoscope overall weight was 17Kg, and my TOA130NFB all kitted up was 16.5 so the TMB will actually be lighter than those.

With the Zeiss binoviewers, Baader SkySurferV and a pair of Tak LE the TMB comes up to 16.5Kg.

My next plan is to set up my Nexus DSC to run the AZ-EQ6GT so I can dispense with the Synscan, Serge at AstroDevices has got that sorted and I already have the cable but haven't had time to set it up.

Edited by Kunama, 25 October 2019 - 09:46 PM.

• John Huntley and Castor like this

#25 EricCCD

EricCCD

Vanguard

Posted 26 October 2019 - 01:08 PM

Congrats, Matt! Your post gives me warm fuzzies all over and brings me back almost a year as I had a similar experience, though in this case the scope practically fell on my lap. You've reminded me of the gem I have:

https://www.cloudyni...ew-to-me-scope/

Eric

• Jeff B and Kunama like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics