•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

"The Ultimatum" TMB-LZOS 152/1200 LW

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 26 October 2019 - 01:15 PM

Thanks John,I have seen your pictures, I almost ordered a 130 but then this deal came up....

The scope really is a beast, so much so that today I had to add some height to the EM400 tripod to be certain the scope cannot hit the tripod when viewing at zenith....

Started with 500mm of 30mm Ø solid aluminium bar stock, chucked it in the lathe, parted off six 70mm pieces, bored 8.5mm holes through them and spin polished them.

Machined off a little flange on the back of the tripod adapter and bolted the 6 legs using M8 x 100mm s/s cap screws....

I love this mount set up!  The EM-400 metal tripod looks amazingly solid. Also, I was a big fan of the AZEQ6 as well.

You got a killer refractor on it!

• Castor and Kunama like this

#27 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:10 PM

I love this mount set up!  The EM-400 metal tripod looks amazingly solid.

I have one of these tripods that I bought to carry my EM-500 ... they're heavy brutes. :lol: They're also incredibly stiff, so I decided to put my EM-500 on an AP pier and now use the tripod with my 900GTO at star parties.

I really like Matt's extension - it gives me ideas.

• Castor, Kunama and Tyson M like this

#28 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• topic starter
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 26 October 2019 - 08:39 PM

and today the TMB-LZOS-APM is happily resting in its ScopeGuard case......  smile.gif

Yesterday morning the case was 1500mm long (to house the TMB with the previous owners imaging undecided.gif  train attached)

So I got to work drilling out 100 rivets to pull the box apart, then cut 150mm from each end of the box before squeezing 100 new rivets into their places.

The interior foam was also rearranged and shortened to better cradle the scope....

it now fits comfortable across the back seat of my car or under the bed of my motorhome ...

I was too busy to take 'before' pictures but had lots of time to admire my own handiwork cool.gif waytogo.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• MIS_7666.jpg

Edited by Kunama, 26 October 2019 - 08:40 PM.

• Paul G, Scott Beith, peleuba and 11 others like this

#29 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 26 October 2019 - 09:09 PM

Beautiful scope, Matt!  But I especially admire your machining on the mount extension and work on reconstructing the case. :waytogo:

• Castor and Kunama like this

#30 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 27 October 2019 - 05:49 PM

That looks excellent Matt smile.gif

I'm still looking for a solid but affordable mount for my 130mm F/9.2 TMB/LZOS. I'll be very interested to see how your AZ-EQ6 fares with your 152mm F/8. It might just be the mount for my scope too !

Not holding out for the new Rowan AZ100 then John? It looks impressively strong, for a 130mm refractor at least  https://stargazerslo...nt-more-photos/

#31 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2019 - 06:56 PM

Hoping to get a bit of a comparison going this week between these two:  

(I told my wife flowerred.gif  I might keep the 140 and use it as a counterweight for the 150...... not amused undecided.gif )

Attached Thumbnails

• MIS_7667 (1).jpg

Edited by Kunama, 27 October 2019 - 06:58 PM.

• Paul G, Castor, R Botero and 5 others like this

#32 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 27 October 2019 - 07:04 PM

Congrats on picking up a seriously impressive refractor.  bow.gif waytogo.gif

• Castor likes this

#33 fate187

fate187

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saxony, Germany

Posted 28 October 2019 - 02:34 AM

Hoping to get a bit of a comparison going this week between these two:  

(I told my wife flowerred.gif  I might keep the 140 and use it as a counterweight for the 150...... not amused undecided.gif )

nice shot! The 140 is really quite massive compared to the 152. I know the LZOS scopes are generally no slouch in sizes...

How much is the weight of the EM400. I can readily use my AZ-EQ6 with my CFF 185 in combination with an Losmany HD tripod (non-foldable). I am thinking of a better tripod for my AZ-Mount Pro than the tripod of the standard Skywatcher tripod, that came with the AZ-EQ6.

Edited by fate187, 28 October 2019 - 02:34 AM.

#34 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2019 - 05:55 AM

nice shot! The 140 is really quite massive compared to the 152. I know the LZOS scopes are generally no slouch in sizes...

How much is the weight of the EM400. I can readily use my AZ-EQ6 with my CFF 185 in combination with an Losmany HD tripod (non-foldable). I am thinking of a better tripod for my AZ-Mount Pro than the tripod of the standard Skywatcher tripod, that came with the AZ-EQ6.

It's a bit of an optical illusion, the 140 looks larger than it is due to it being closer to the wide angle lens...

The Tak EM400 tripod is rated at 450Kg or 1000 pounds capacity... It weighs 15.5 Kg
  • Castor and fate187 like this

#35 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• topic starter

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:27 PM

Still waiting for First Light for the TMB  undecided.gif 4.gif cloudy.gif I wonder how long .........

(The APM140 comparison is not going ahead either, a friend contacted me and now has guardianship of it.....)

Here is the current rainfall map:

Attached Thumbnails

• 3Nov19.gif

Edited by Kunama, 02 November 2019 - 11:33 PM.

• Suavi likes this

#36 Suavi

Suavi

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: 20.25 deg South of the Equator

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:31 AM

I see that BOM needs to install a field flattener on their rain radars wink.gif

That rain is a blessing for many, but hopefully you will get crystal clear skies soon, fingers crossed.

Edited by Suavi, 03 November 2019 - 12:36 AM.

• Kunama likes this

#37 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:09 AM

Congrats, Matt! Your post gives me warm fuzzies all over and brings me back almost a year as I had a similar experience, though in this case the scope practically fell on my lap. You've reminded me of the gem I have:

https://www.cloudyni...ew-to-me-scope/

Eric

And Eric's scope is indeed a gem.

Eric, I hope you don't mind but I just can't resist posting a bit of proof.  Also, let's touch base.

You have an excellent lens Matt.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• TMB 152 F8 DPAC Green Outside of Focus.jpg

• Paul G, EricCCD, John O'Grady and 2 others like this

#38 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• topic starter

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:50 AM

Congrats, Matt! Your post gives me warm fuzzies all over and brings me back almost a year as I had a similar experience, though in this case the scope practically fell on my lap. You've reminded me of the gem I have:

https://www.cloudyni...ew-to-me-scope/

Eric

Sorry I missed your post earlier Eric, it was Jeff's TMB photo of 'yours now' scope that got me thinking about buying one for myself, then a year ago, when this scope was advertised, I wasn't in a position to buy....

so I advised the Chris the seller to try it out for visual with binoviewers.  I later thought that was a silly thing to tell him as he might never want to part with the scope...

By sheer coincidence, when I got in touch with Chris he had just bought a 28" F3.8 Fullum mirror so the TMB became a victim of his aperture fever....

• EricCCD likes this

#39 EricCCD

EricCCD

Vanguard

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:55 PM

Thanks, Jeff and Matt!

Matt, I am all the more honored to have Jeff's former scope . Jeff, I hope I do it and you proud :)

Regards,

Eric

• Kunama likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics