•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

"The Ultimatum" TMB-LZOS 152/1200 LW

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• topic starter
  • Loc: Australia

Posted Yesterday, 04:18 PM

Eric,

The Mount Stromlo Observatory has fallen victim to two catastrophes, a wildfire tore through the complex in 2003 leaving nothing but charred remains of the various scopes there including the 74" and 50" reflectors and the Yale-Columbia 26" refractor.  The other event was a much slower one, the urban creep, that means we now have well-lit suburbs on the slopes of the mountain.  No research instruments were reinstalled there after the fires as the light pollution has killed off their potential.

My Auto-Trail motorhome is also my telescope storeroom, with the 18" living in a cradle under the bed while the TMB and Tak get to live inside in their cases.  I travel quite often to Kiandra in the Snowy Mountains, there light pollution doesn't exist at all. The only things to disturb one's viewing are the occasional Dingo howls and the snorting of the wild horses......

• 3 i Guy, John Huntley, Arief Muslim and 1 other like this

#52 3 i Guy

3 i Guy

Messenger

• Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted Yesterday, 06:47 PM

Matt,

Id like to see you start a new thread about your motor home in the equipment forum. As crafty as you are, I bet it’s got some upgrades that would make James Bond blush.

Mark

• Kunama likes this

#53 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• topic starter
  • Loc: Australia

Posted Yesterday, 07:07 PM

Matt,

Id like to see you start a new thread about your motor home in the equipment forum. As crafty as you are, I bet it’s got some upgrades that would make James Bond blush.

Mark

Mark, 

I am not allowed to make changes to the motorhome without the approval of my dear wife flowerred.gif  ..... to date no approvals have been forthcoming.....undecided.gif

Though a glass ceiling is in the planning stage for binocular viewing from bed cool.gif

• 3 i Guy likes this

#54 John O'Grady

John O'Grady

Mariner 2

• Loc: Waterloo, ON CAN

Posted Yesterday, 09:04 PM

What a great looking scope. I look forward to reading more observing reports from you on it.

A TMB152 was 2nd on wishlist before my most recent acquisition.

I picked up a TMB130 f/6 recently (fourth after TEC140 on the list) and while I've had only one night of viewing it was a real delight.  Even though the seeing wasn't the best.  I had a chance to compare it with a friends AP traveler, and a TAK FS128. These are scopes I've not used before, so it was a real treat.

I also had my WO Zenithstar (110 f/7 with TMB lens) out for comparison.

The comparisons between the scopes was somewhat limited as we were more enjoying the views and I was somewhat focused on the new scope.

I did take time when looking through the traveler and the TAK, noting any differences to my scopes with TMB lens. 

I came away with a great appreciation for how good a design Thomas Back produced.

And I was very happy with the upgrade in aperature.

The increased contrast on Saturn was immediately noticable.

With the scopes being a mere 10mm difference in focal lens it made comparing the views between the two straight foward.

The TMB130 is a keeper for sure.  Now that I have a 5 inch refractor, I am thinking a 6 inch would have been too much.

Sadly I will need to be selling the Zenithstar, as good as it is. I just can't keep that many scopes. undecided.gif

John

• Esso2112 likes this

#55 AtmosFearIC

AtmosFearIC

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne

Posted Today, 04:42 AM

Hi Colin, we’ll have to catch up when you head up north again. Nice dark skies around Parkes and Coolah...

At some point I wouldn’t mind taking a week off work during winter. Want to get the Mewlon250 under good seeing to do some planetary viewing. Also some dark skies for some wide field photography, kinda keen to do a really deep Rho!

#56 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted Today, 08:04 AM

The only things to disturb one's viewing are the occasional Dingo howls and the snorting of the wild horses......

That's funny.  Our club's dark site is surrounded by ranches.  The rancher to the south west has several dogs.  When I first started going out there, those dogs would bark all night: from dusk to dawn.  At first they irritated me, but within a couple of visits I started to think of it as funny.  I mean, really, what is it dogs have going on they can talk about ALL NIGHT?

It's quiet out there at night now.  I think they're all too old now to pull all-nighters. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics