•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Criterion RV-6

reflector classic collimation
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ylillammi

Ylillammi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Srpingfield, MO area

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:33 PM

My Meade DS-2130 score is going to the okay deal pile. I was having difficulty with getting it focused, so I attempted my first collimation. That didn't go so well because the instructions I found were confusing. Now I believe I should have got a cheshire eye piece or even just eyeballed it and perhaps used an artifical star, but either way, I found that my secondary has relatively large rust spots, which was probably the cause of the blurriness. The primary was dusty, but may have been intact, but it is at the age that it might need to be sent off for a new coating. 

Several of the internals have rust on them and I think it got put away wet at least once. In addition, the DS Autostar mount has begun clicking, so I will be working on rebuilding that as well. I seem to enjoy tinkering and buying parts to fix old equipment up. 

I had my son-in-law pick up a Criterion RV-6 for me today. My wife at first said no, but I talked her into it and told her I would sell everything else. I also said I wouldn't ask for anything for a while, which should be about a fortnight in my estimation. However, she told me I didn't have to sell anything, but I had to work on my storage problem. Why? I only have 5 scopes and am purchasing another. 

It sounded like he had fond memories of it. Of course, I see a pack of filters that I don't have because I am just starting out, but I promised that I wouldn't buy anything else if I got this scope. I had my fingers crossed, LOL, but while she is not terribly interested, I don't want her to have my hobby. 

Anyway, the owner got this scope when he was 16 years old and finally decided to spend the money on an 8 inch scope after owning it for 52 years. It looks like it was well taken care of from the photos. I can fold my seats down and load everything up, but the motorized drive might be a problem if it draws too much juice. Even with that, I think my battery pack (portable jump starter) and power inverter that  I bought for a laptop, but never used it. I think that should be up to the task for several hours of viewing. 

Plus I have a Game Day with USB, so I can charge my phone and play some music with it as I go old school with my Criterion. I am younger than the scope, but I think it might prove useful. The seller was involved with astrophotography also, so I hope the scope comes with some of those attachments. 

I should hopefully have it this weekend and will post pics once I get to know my scope a little better. :) 

I really need to work on getting some of these put together, put them on sale, and clean up a bit.

My teens from the youth group I pastor asked if I had a private relationship with my telescopes. I said, no, I have a very public relationship with my scopes. For now, I have to go since my wife is waiting on me to pick her up and I am still sitting here typing. 

I am looking forward to this! 

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:04 PM

Nobody does any serious Astrophotography without GoTo scopes anymore. I know the owner used to do AP with it. And Merriwether Lewis hiked across the western part of America in search of the Northwest Passage with a deerskin coat and no GPS. Can it be done. Sure. But there are much better ways now. You could potentially do EAA with it if the mount tracks, but even then you would be limited to objects you can see visually, and it would be a PITA. So cell phone picks of the Moon works, but I wouldn’t expect much more.

Your mirrors on the little rusty scope aren’t going to be worth recoating even if you could find someone to do it.

But enjoy the RV6! Should be a nice visual instrument.

Scott

#3 spereira

spereira

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:26 AM

Nobody does any serious Astrophotography without GoTo scopes anymore. I know the owner used to do AP with it. ...

Please remember that there is no astrophotography allowed in the Beginners Forum.  

Please refrain from veering in that direction.

smp

#4 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:28 AM

My point was to veer away from it. Cell phone pictures and not much more with that setup. Just trying to set reasonable expectations.

#5 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Ranger 4

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:07 PM

Nobody does any serious Astrophotography without GoTo scopes anymore. I know the owner used to do AP with it. And Merriwether Lewis hiked across the western part of America in search of the Northwest Passage with a deerskin coat and no GPS. Can it be done. Sure. But there are much better ways now. You could potentially do EAA with it if the mount tracks, but even then you would be limited to objects you can see visually, and it would be a PITA. So cell phone picks of the Moon works, but I wouldn’t expect much more.

Your mirrors on the little rusty scope aren’t going to be worth recoating even if you could find someone to do it.

But enjoy the RV6! Should be a nice visual instrument.

Scott

If by serious you mean objects unable to be seen visually, then that is true. Beyond that goto isn't necessary. 

RV-6 is a neat old scope. I used to own one, the mount was simple and the setting circles actually worked ok if you knew how to use them.

Edited by Tom Stock, 25 October 2019 - 03:10 PM.

• Diana N likes this

#6 Ylillammi

Ylillammi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 October 2019 - 05:04 AM

Actually the DS-2130 is not the spherical mirror Bird-Jones style. This is the four foot long version. I may just replace the mirror with a used one, but that doesn’t sound great if the newer mirrors are spherical. Or use the mount with my other scope, once it is repaired.

Do you know where I can get a 5-inch GoTo system complete for less than $100? I really went way over budget buying the Criterion for $145, but do you know of a working 6-inch equatorial mount with a pier for less money? I just couldn’t pass it up.

Now if you are offering or know of a 130mm GoTo system with a parabolic mirror and suitable tripod, plus a four foot long OTA for less than $100 without I am all ears.

This thread was supposed to be about the Criterion RV-6 anyway. Any further comments on the DS-2130 should be reserved for the Big Moving Sale Score thread.

Now if anyone would like to comment on the Criterion RV-6, I will be happy to see your comments below. Let’s keep the discussion on track.

#7 Ylillammi

Ylillammi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 October 2019 - 05:10 AM

Here is a write up by Company Seven on the history of this scope.

http://www.company7....terion_rv6.html
  • Diana N likes this

#8 Ylillammi

Ylillammi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 October 2019 - 05:11 AM

Here is a write up by Company Seven on the history of this scope.

http://www.company7....terion_rv6.html

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 26 October 2019 - 06:24 AM

Actually the DS-2130 is not the spherical mirror Bird-Jones style. This is the four foot long version. I may just replace the mirror with a used one, but that doesn’t sound great if the newer mirrors are spherical. Or use the mount with my other scope, once it is repaired.

Do you know where I can get a 5-inch GoTo system complete for less than $100? I really went way over budget buying the Criterion for $145, but do you know of a working 6-inch equatorial mount with a pier for less money? I just couldn’t pass it up.

Now if you are offering or know of a 130mm GoTo system with a parabolic mirror and suitable tripod, plus a four foot long OTA for less than $100 without I am all ears.

This thread was supposed to be about the Criterion RV-6 anyway. Any further comments on the DS-2130 should be reserved for the Big Moving Sale Score thread.

Now if anyone would like to comment on the Criterion RV-6, I will be happy to see your comments below. Let’s keep the discussion on track.

First:  

- A 130 mm F/7.7 spherical mirror is diffraction limited, it's so close to a parabola that it's adequate if spherical.

- Your new to you RV-6 should be a wonderful scope. These are a classic and capable of amazing planetary views. The phenolic tube with the open mirror cell means they cool quickly and have few thermal issues.

5766407-RV-6 JI.jpg

Jon

• Diana N likes this

#10 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 October 2019 - 07:04 AM

Yes, we were saying the RV6 should be very nice. Just not suitable for deep space imaging like you had hoped. And yes spherical mirrors are just fine once you get up around F8.

$100 for Goto is rough. I do see deals on the 4.5” bird jones newts fairly often. Generally when you start seeing really cheap GoTo scopes, they cheaped out somewhere. Either it is a wobbly mount, a tiny scope, or a basic GoTo controller with just a few buttons that is hard to use. Never know what deal you might find used but generally speaking, if you want any kind of aperture with a decent mount and a good GoTo system, you need a bigger budget. For example there is a nice 6” Nexstar near me offered for $550 with an eyepiece kit.

Scott

#11 Ylillammi

Ylillammi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2019 - 02:59 AM

Got a few minutes in before Jupiter set and the fog was rolling in. I was able to resolve Jupiter and I believe 5 of his moons with my lowest power eyepiece.

Couldn’t get aligned to Polaris since there were too many clouds to the north. Regardless, I didn’t see that with the 114 or the DS-2130. I can’t wait to get it aligned and try it again.

#12 Hesiod

Hesiod

Gemini

Posted 27 October 2019 - 04:18 AM

Very nice telescope!
Take note that, once properly aligned, you can do pretty well without "goto", for every task.
  • Jon Isaacs likes this

#13 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 October 2019 - 08:39 AM

Pretty sure one of those five moons was a star, but a good start!
  • Jon Isaacs likes this

#14 Starman27

Starman27

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 27 October 2019 - 09:55 AM

It's a classic. Enjoy it.

#15 Ylillammi

Ylillammi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:24 AM

Now that I have been introduced properly and had my first fight with the mount, I can show it to everyone. It isn't the prettiest, but the optics are very beautiful. 

I took it out the other night and found out the elevation was not anywhere close to north at all. I think it was set up below 30 degrees and I am at 37.44N, so it was quite difficult trying to get it lined up with Polaris. It also was not balanced very well. I assumed that since the guy was close in latitude that it wouldn't have been quite so difficult to set up, but being the first time I used an EQ mount . . . 

Anyway, the coyotes started getting closer and howling until an injured goose flew over. They followed it, but I was needing to get to bed for work, and I packed it up and went home. 

As to the fight I had with the mount, I was pulling it out of my car last night, and the counterweight shaft came out elevated with the weight still on it, but without the scope for resistance, it dropped down and hit me in the side of the head. 

Now if I can just keep my fingers out of my eyepieces in the dark. Thankfully, it was one of the cheap ones that came with my first scope. 

#16 Ylillammi

Ylillammi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:33 AM

Pretty sure one of those five moons was a star, but a good start!

I went back with Stellarium and identified the star. Yes, there were four moons and a star. I left my higher powered eyepieces inside. The fog rolled back in and Jupiter was too low in the sky before I could go back in and get any of them. 

I literally had two legs of my tripod on the walkway and one in the grass to get that view, which was the only spot in the front yard where the security light was blocked by a tree. 

I knew I didn't have long, but that was my first chance to see anything. 

#17 Feidb

Feidb

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 02 November 2019 - 07:38 PM

I used one back in the day. It belonged to Palmdale High School and I used it often from 68 - 69. It was a great little telescope. A classic. It tided me over until I got my 8-inch f/9.44 mirror finished.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reflector, classic, collimation

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics