•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Olympus CH microscope vs modern Olympus microscopes?

equipment
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 Microscopy

Microscopy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:05 AM

I'm sorry for such an indiscrete question: how much did you pay for the CX31?

#27 db2005

db2005

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Living in Denmark, under Bortle 5/6 skies.

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:24 AM

I'm sorry for such an indiscrete question: how much did you pay for the CX31?

Around 1600 USD including shipping and taxes (VAT). This seems to be the going rate for a CX31 in excellent condition in Europe. They seem somewhat less expensive in the US.

#28 Microscopy

Microscopy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:17 AM

Is that the price it was sold to you?

In other words: that was the selling price, meaning the basic price you bought it for, except for shipping, handling fees, custom fees from the US to continental Europe etc...?

Any chance of breaking up your total expence in the categories cfr. above? That would be really helpfull for lots of people...

Edited by Microscopy, 25 January 2020 - 09:19 AM.

#29 db2005

db2005

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Living in Denmark, under Bortle 5/6 skies.

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:19 AM

I bought in the the UK for GBP 1175,-, but that price includes taxes (VAT).

#30 Quarterbore

Quarterbore

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Valley Forge, PA USA

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:06 AM

Interesting topic.  I have two light microscopes the first being a CH series CHBS and the second a CH-2 series CHT.  I can’t compare them directly easily as my CHBS is setup as a light Microscope and the CHT has a Phase Contrast/Brightfield/Darkfield  condenser setup.  I will say that the CHT is far brighter due to a better bulb.  The CHBS was also a student grade optic compared to the CHT which is much more of a research grade tool.  

With all of this said, for hobbyist use both are very good scopes.  I worked in labs on equivalent equipment both in graduate school and in research labs.  The bigger limitation for me has been the types of samples I want to look at.  I have been looking at  pond and water samples largely and I use slides with a divot but it’s a small sample and tricky with the focal length.  So, just this week I bit the bullet and bought a CK2 inverted Microscope with long working distance (LWD) Phase contrast lenses and filters. 

Phase contrast is so nice as Protozoa and similar small organisms are easy to see and you can see cellular detail you can’t see in a light microscope without staining.  With the inverted scope I will be able to use Petri dishes too so i can work with huge samples compared to a slide even with the divot under a coverslip.  What I don’t know know is what my long term plans are for the CHT as I may end converting it to a light Microscope as I hope the CK2 will replace its role as a Phase Contrast scope.  

One last thought. I also invested in a Olympus SZ4045 with a small fortune in accessories including a light ring, SZ-ILA base with light sources etc.  what is nice though is my CHT, CK2 and SZ4045 all have trinocular setups and because they are all the same generation they share the same camera setups.  So, I have everything to use these with a Canon EOS which allows me to use a laptop live view so Scouts can see what is on the optics without them needing to handle the rather sizable investment I have in optics at this point.  I’ll never upgrade to a newer model simply because of the photo tube and $$$ 1.67NFK lens is already working.

Edited by Quarterbore, 20 February 2020 - 08:11 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics