•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Do these need to go back?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 mmagrunmo

mmagrunmo

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:04 AM

Hi Gang
Last week I purchased a pair of Nikon AE 10x50s and have been enjoying them. Tonight after packing things in after the dew began to get heavy I noticed that the right objective had dew on it, I also noticed it had dew or condensation on the INSIDE. The left did not have any dew on it at all.

When they arrived I noticed that there were 7 or 8 scratches inside the barrel of the right side but decided to see how they worked and not worry about the scratches.

This is not normal for a "nitrogen purged and o-ring sealed" binocular is it? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mike

#2 DavidB82

DavidB82

Mariner 2

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:36 AM

Mine have dewed on the outside of the lens but never on the inside. I'd say they need to go back. The reason for the nitrogen and Orings is so it won't fog up inside.

#3 Bob W6PU

Bob W6PU

Vanguard

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:38 AM

If they were mine, I would certainly send them back.

That bit about condensation on the "inside", while the other tube was clear, dosen't sound at all kosher to me!

Let's see what some of the other folks have to say about this, you've got the weekend to digest the feedback!

Bob

#4 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:44 AM

Hi Mike,

I agree 110% with the two previous posts. Something ain't jake here! It sounds to me that a bad repair was done on the right side along with the possibility that a repurge/fill was not carried out.

Were these purchased as a new unit, or were they a recon? Just my thoughts.

Best regards,
Dave.

#5 mmagrunmo

mmagrunmo

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:08 AM

Hi Mike,

I agree 110% with the two previous posts. Something ain't jake here! It sounds to me that a bad repair was done on the right side along with the possibility that a repurge/fill was not carried out.

Were these purchased as a new unit, or were they a recon? Just my thoughts.

Best regards,
Dave.

Hi Dave

They were purchased new about a week ago. Hopefully I did not get a pair that had been repaired. I would like to think the scratches inside are from an assembly that was a bit of a pain.

They were delivered to me in less than 24 hours even though I had arranged (and paid) for them to be shipped 2nd day air. Maybe getting this resolved will be a pleasant suprise as well.

Mike

#6 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:09 AM

A new waterproof binocular should not fog inside. send them back.

edz

#7 mmagrunmo

mmagrunmo

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. A replacement pair is on the way.

Mike

#8 johnno

johnno

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:01 PM

Hi Mike,

I sincerly hope your replacement Binocular,is as expected,
With NO problems.

It is indeed,a great let down,when something generally known as a well made brand lets you down.
Please let us know,how the Replacements perform.

Regards.
John

#9 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2006 - 03:30 AM

Hey Mike,

Good going. As Ed put it, just send them back. He is right on, as you have done.

I don't want to see a speck of dust on something right out of the factory. Is this realistic? Yes, I believe it is.

Suppose you buy a new XYZ car, but you notice scratches on the back seat cover. Would you drive it off the lot. H___ no. Reading your post made me cringe. I've run into some similar situations in the past.

I mean, you wait eagerly for the arrival of something for which you paid dearly. Then, you wonder where this unit has been in its life cycle. You did the right thing.

Best regards,
Dave.

#10 mmagrunmo

mmagrunmo

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:30 PM

The replacements arrived. They have arrived before the return authorization being sent by USPS. But, I do have both pairs at the same time, which is interesting.

The pair going back (Nikon AE 10x50,fogged inside) worked very well to my inexperienced eye. The new ones seemed to not be as bright to me and I had trouble getting a good image with both eyes for the first hour or so. They just did not seem to have as comfortable of view, and I couldnt seem to ever manage a nice round sharp circle around what I was looking at. It seemed to be out of focus or fuzzy mostly on the left side. I think I was also getting a kind of blackout thing happening in the left eye. I wear eyeglasses.

I left them alone for a while, let my eyes rest and kind of started over. I think I might be getting better views after refocusing a few times and adjusting the IP distance again and again. But I am still not sure. I am seeing better views than before, but I am not sure they are as good as the one I am sending back.

Collimation or some other defect was the first thing I thought of when I looked thru them, but there is a good chance it is my inexperience as things seem to have improved a little bit.

So anyway, thought I would pass that along. Binoculars.com had a pair sent to me as soon as they could. I contacted them saturday morning about the first pair not being watertight, they shipped a new pair yesterday, and I got it today. They charged me for the new one and are going to credit me when they get the damaged one back. Seemed prompt and fair to me. It will be interesting to look thru them both once it gets dark.

Any comments, suggestions or things to look for are appreciated.

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics