•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Altair 150 EDF refractor to replace my 125 any takers?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bennevis

Bennevis

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 26 October 2019 - 01:54 AM

Well, I just ordered the new Altair 150EDF after reading the Sky at Night review which says they have zero colour aberration, and being a doublet which I like the idea of.

https://www.altairas...-Refractor.html

I'm local, so I viewed it at the shop in Aylsham UK. Had a long chat about the design and the lens cell certainly looks right. The 125 is essentially perfect and can be classed as APO unlike a 6" ED I've owned which doesn't quite get there, and the images in the review are very good so I'm pretty confident my search for a big ED is over, feeling positive!

I may sell my 125 which I lot more now for lunar observing (my thing) seeing my health has improved considerably after some procedures - and the weather has been warm, though dewy in the UK. I'd like to keep it but I can't see myself getting a mount able to heft them both.

I naturally asked for the one in the shop but they explained it's going to a UK show and then a US buyer is getting first refusal.

Has anyone done the same or been tempted? It's big, that I can confirm. The tube is very nicely made too.

Anyway I'm on the list!

• stevew likes this

#2 dscarpa

dscarpa

Skylab

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 26 October 2019 - 11:50 AM

Very nice! Glad to see someones come out  with a affordable-I'm not sure exactly what the exchange rate is-150 F8 doublet using FPL53. My bought on Amart a few weeks ago Vixen 130ED SS F7.4 doublet using FPL53 and lanthanum is color free and I use a lot of magnification. That scope is crazy good! Hopefully  Cloud Break Optics in Seattle who has some Altair scopes will carry the Altair 150.  David

Edited by dscarpa, 26 October 2019 - 01:41 PM.

#3 Eric H

Eric H

Viking 1

• Loc: Washougal, WA

Posted 26 October 2019 - 12:35 PM

Looks like a great scope. Can't wait to see some reviews.

#4 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:48 PM

It does look like a great scope.

Please post pictures once you receive it...

#5 Bennevis

Bennevis

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 27 October 2019 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm told they're working on a 0.8x reducer too so that will be a nice addition for some eaa. Just need to wait until my name pops up.

• stevew likes this

#6 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 01 December 2019 - 04:52 PM

Well, I just ordered the new Altair 150EDF after reading the Sky at Night review which says they have zero colour aberration, and being a doublet which I like the idea of.

https://www.altairas...-Refractor.html

I'm local, so I viewed it at the shop in Aylsham UK. Had a long chat about the design and the lens cell certainly looks right. The 125 is essentially perfect and can be classed as APO unlike a 6" ED I've owned which doesn't quite get there, and the images in the review are very good so I'm pretty confident my search for a big ED is over, feeling positive!

I may sell my 125 which I lot more now for lunar observing (my thing) seeing my health has improved considerably after some procedures - and the weather has been warm, though dewy in the UK. I'd like to keep it but I can't see myself getting a mount able to heft them both.

I naturally asked for the one in the shop but they explained it's going to a UK show and then a US buyer is getting first refusal.

Has anyone done the same or been tempted? It's big, that I can confirm. The tube is very nicely made too.

Anyway I'm on the list!

Any updates on this?

• MGD likes this

#7 beanerds

beanerds

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 02 December 2019 - 02:56 AM

Any updates on this?

Yes , waiting for a review and photos , anyone else got one ?  great specifications so these should perform very well.

Beanerds.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics