•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Should I be concerned?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 hopskipson

hopskipson

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 02 November 2019 - 06:32 PM

Just an update, today was nice and clear for most of the morning.  Unfortunately the same result undecided.gif .  Absolutely no details on the disk.  I took out my PST and I could make out some details on the disk and a nice large prom.  So I contacted the dealer and will contact Lunt.

#27 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:05 PM

Yes, today you should have seen some disk details, and an LS60 should be good at it. Outside chance that 50 degree weather is low for the blocking filter, but it really should work fine at 50. It is a new scope, so you are pretty much guaranteed a good outcome; Lunt takes care of their scopes.

George

• hopskipson likes this

#28 hopskipson

hopskipson

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:11 AM

Yes, today you should have seen some disk details, and an LS60 should be good at it. Outside chance that 50 degree weather is low for the blocking filter, but it really should work fine at 50. It is a new scope, so you are pretty much guaranteed a good outcome; Lunt takes care of their scopes.

George

Yeah, I hope so. It's just annoying to have to pay the shipping to send it back.  Luckily, I bought on sale.

#29 hopskipson

hopskipson

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:47 PM

Just an update, After going back and forth with Lunt and installing new O-rings with the same results, I finally sent back the scope at my expense.  Lunt checked out the scope and diagnosed that the etalon had become de-contacted and would be replaced at no charge to me.  I only had the scope out a handful of times and never saw any details. While it would have been nice to have the scope working from the start and not have to pay to return a non-functioning scope, at least I didn't miss much observing time or activity.

#30 descott12

descott12

Vendor - Solar Live View

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 20 December 2019 - 10:10 PM

Just an update, After going back and forth with Lunt and installing new O-rings with the same results, I finally sent back the scope at my expense.  Lunt checked out the scope and diagnosed that the etalon had become de-contacted and would be replaced at no charge to me.  I only had the scope out a handful of times and never saw any details. While it would have been nice to have the scope working from the start and not have to pay to return a non-functioning scope, at least I didn't miss much observing time or activity.

Are they not going to pay for your shipping costs???

#31 hopskipson

hopskipson

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 20 December 2019 - 11:44 PM

Are they not going to pay for your shipping costs???

I should have read the fine print.

From the Lunt website:

TO OBTAIN WARRANTY SERVICE

Prior to the return of any product or part, a Return Goods Authorization (RGA) number must be obtained by writing to LUNT Solar Systems’ Customer Service Department, sales@luntsolarsystems.com, or by calling (520) 344-7348. The customer is responsible for all return shipping costs. Each returned product or part must include a written statement detailing the nature of the claimed defect, as well as the owner’s name, address, phone number, and a copy of the original sales invoice, and must be shipped prepaid in the original shipping carton (containing all original packing materials) and insured for its value. In cases where the original shipping carton and/or packing materials are not available, customer and dealers are directed to contact LUNT Solar Systems LLC for the appropriate replacement materials, which are available for a nominal fee.

I should have returned it earlier to the dealer and have them deal with it, but of course weather and scheduling didn't make this possible.  Plus, who knew it was a de-contacted etalon.  Everything looked fine when I received it.  I thought it might be my inexperience with this type of scope or thin clouds or leaky O-rings.

At least I purchased it during the sale although now I don't feel like I got such a bargain.  undecided.gif

#32 hopskipson

hopskipson

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:04 PM

Here's the latest update:

I received my scope last week and have it out now.  The weather is not optimal 42*F and very windy with many clouds and only a few breaks of sun.  I did wrap a dew strap around the blocking filter and a dish towel around that to try to keep it warm.  The limited time out I can see a nice sized prom and some surface detail but nothing significant. Can't see the AR. Looked on Gong and the AR seems to be fading a bit.  There doesn't seem to be much contrast with this scope.  I would say that the scope is fixed but I'm hoping that the weather is inhibiting optimal performance.  I find the pressure tuner to be kind of clumsy to get proper tuning.  It seems to be really hard to get the entire disk on band.  I know a lot of people knock the Quark, but I find the tuning to be much easier.  Just find the proper setting and leave it alone.  Also since I need a dew heater to keep the blocking filter warm, I need some external power source.  Maybe it is my lack of experience with this system and the conditions that are making it extremely uncomfortable to be out today.

Does anyone have suggestions or comments on technique? I tried a ND filter but that didn't help.  Does anyone use any other filters or polarizing filters to increase contrast?

Thanks

#33 hopskipson

hopskipson

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:54 PM

Update to the update!

Brought the blocking filter inside and let it heat up with the dew heater.  Late in the afternoon the seeing had deteriorated, but contrast was much better.  Could barely make out the AR and a small filament.  Hopefully as the weather improves in spring I'll have better luck.

• Scott Beith likes this

#34 bigdob24

bigdob24

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:13 PM

Does anyone have suggestions or comments on technique? I tried a ND filter but that didn't help.  Does anyone use any other filters or polarizing filters to increase contrast?

I found with my Lunt 100 that bino viewing has a dramatic influence on contrast over mono eyepieces. Big difference!!
I have a set of Denks with a Power Switch and use 24Pans with great results.

Also have a set of 15 mm for higher power.

I bought an OCS from Denk made for Lunt Solar scopes but there are some guys here that have used barlows I believe , a little less cost , the OCS was pricy.

If you have a set or can borrow give it a try and see what you find.

BD

• hopskipson likes this

#35 hopskipson

hopskipson

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for the tip BD. I have binos also but with the wind clouds and cold I was more concerned with making sure the scope was working. What is the magnification of the OCS?

#36 bigdob24

bigdob24

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:43 PM

hopskipson, on 05 Jan 2020 - 4:57 PM, said:
Thanks for the tip BD. I have binos also but with the wind clouds and cold I was more concerned with making sure the scope was working. What is the magnification of the OCS?

I believe the OCS is 2.3x and it just screws in place of the barrel on your BF, easy
Im sure your have to have something in place to reach focus.
There is a gentleman “Eddgie” that has adapted his Binos with a lesser mag Barlow .

PM him.

There is a thread if you search bino viewing that has info.

BD

#37 descott12

descott12

Vendor - Solar Live View

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 05 January 2020 - 08:12 PM

There doesn't seem to be much contrast with this scope.  I would say that the scope is fixed but I'm hoping that the weather is inhibiting optimal performance.  I find the pressure tuner to be kind of clumsy to get proper tuning.  It seems to be really hard to get the entire disk on band.  I know a lot of people knock the Quark, but I find the tuning to be much easier.  Just find the proper setting and leave it alone.  Also since I need a dew heater to keep the blocking filter warm, I need some external power source.  Maybe it is my lack of experience with this system and the conditions that are making it extremely uncomfortable to be out today.

Hey James,

I think you will find the PT to be really easy once you get a little practice. I usually only have to rotate a few degrees but even after taking it completely off, I can get on band really quickly. And I found the instant feedback to be really helpful. And you can tune for surface and proms slightly differently if needed and go  back and forth.

Regarding the full disk on band: I found with my 50 mm B600 that I usually can't get the entire disk on band at once. I got some mixed advice from different people (including Lunt) so I am not sure if that is just how it is or not. I have sort of gotten used to it. With the zoom eyepiece, I can just zoom out and see the full disk with razor sharp detail but imaging the full disk isn't the best when part of it is not tuned perfectly

For the contrast, I think the double-stack is a game changer. I wasn't too impressed with the surface when single stacked.

And finally, I have not found the current low temps on the BF to affect anything. I haven't viewed below about low 40's but it seems perfectly fine at that temp.

Take care
Dave

• mogur likes this

#38 44ye

44ye

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: MACKINAW TOWNSHIP CHEBOYGAN CO MI

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:31 PM

Do not  forget that lunt blocking filter / diagonal filter have long tubes for adjustment of focus . you may need to loosen the screws and pull the diagonal out too obtain focus .

Set the view on the edge of the Sun and the focus adjustment knob to middle of the range and loosen the blocking  filter and slowly slide it out until the edge becomes sharper the tighten screws and the us the focus knobs for fine focus 

the lunt blocking filters have about 3 times the normal male diagonal length 

hope this helps

Don

#39 hopskipson

hopskipson

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:36 PM

Do not  forget that lunt blocking filter / diagonal filter have long tubes for adjustment of focus . you may need to loosen the screws and pull the diagonal out too obtain focus .

Set the view on the edge of the Sun and the focus adjustment knob to middle of the range and loosen the blocking  filter and slowly slide it out until the edge becomes sharper the tighten screws and the us the focus knobs for fine focus 

the lunt blocking filters have about 3 times the normal male diagonal length 

hope this helps

Don

Thanks Don,

I had no problem getting the disk in focus.  I was having issues with getting details, proms, AR2755, filaments and some surface mottling.  Right now I'm okay with how my very limited session went on Sunday.  Hopefully, as the sun gets higher I'll have better luck.

#40 hopskipson

hopskipson

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2020 - 09:59 PM

Had some nice weather today.  Middle 60's with partly sunny skies, but some high wispy clouds.  The higher temps made for some more comfortable viewing.  I was able to get a few moments of good viewing time.  Contrast was much better and being more comfortable I was able to see a lot more details and try out a few eyepieces.  I'm starting to like this little scope.  Hopefully as the weather gets better I'll get better results.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics