•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saguaro Astronomy Club Website

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oil City, PA

Posted 26 October 2019 - 06:58 PM

Do NOT try accessing the Saguaro Astronomy Club Website.  It appears that the URL has been stolen/hacked.

Edited by John O'Hara, 27 October 2019 - 05:52 AM.

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Soyuz

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 26 October 2019 - 07:17 PM

Its been hacked / infected.  Do NOT try to access it...

• Cali likes this

#3 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 October 2019 - 08:02 PM

Thanks, Jim.  Unfortunately I already did.  (I'm on another computer right now.)  I should have been suspicious when I was asked to confirm I'm not a robot twice, and clicking on those buttons was likely my big mistake.  After trying to access the site, I immediately restarted the computer.  When it booted up, two pop-up messages appeared, one asking me to turn on my Kapersky Internet Security, and another asking me to turn on my firewall.  Having never seen these messages before, I was suspicious of infection, so I confirmed that my antivirus/firewall (which is Kapersky) was already on (which it was), and did not click on these messages.  Right now that computer is running a full virus scan, so well see what it finds.  

#4 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 October 2019 - 08:04 PM

It's dawning on me that I should have provided more information in my first post.  I actually encouraged people to try accessing the site without thinking.  PLEASE DON'T TRY ANYONE!

#5 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 October 2019 - 08:15 PM

The host for their website is Godaddy.  They've been e-mailed about the issue, so hopefully the website will be disabled until fixed.

#6 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Skylab

• Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 26 October 2019 - 08:58 PM

You can still edit your first post for a few days.

#7 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2019 - 05:53 AM

Thanks, Steve.  I took your advice.

#8 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2019 - 06:10 AM

If anyone has accessed this site, it might be a good idea to freeze your credit with the big three credit agencies.  It takes only 5 minutes for each one by phone.  Maybe this is overcautious, but...

#9 MichaelP

MichaelP

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 January 2020 - 05:30 PM

The SAC webpage is back up and running. The webmaster changed hosting sites at the end of 2019 and so far things look good. (Note: I am not the webmaster, just a club member.)

https://www.saguaroastro.org/

Michael

#10 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:38 PM

I've been accessing the site several times of the last month.  No issues.  BTW, your clubs site is outstanding!  If I lived out in the area, I'd join without hesitation.  Unfortunately, I'm stuck in the cloudy Great Lakes region for now.

#11 MichaelP

MichaelP

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:56 PM

Well John, maybe you can make it out one year for either the Messier Marathon in March or the All Arizona Star Party in the fall. Funny, we don't seem to have may low desert star parties in the summer for some reason....

#12 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:37 PM

I'd love to.  Having read Steve Coe's books, it drives home the point that SAC is an observers' club in an observers' climate.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics