•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Steiner 7x50 Commander V

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dog Star

Dog Star

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:32 AM

Hello everyone, I hope I'm putting this post in the right place. Has anyone used the Steiner Commander V 7x50 for astronomy ? I've got the chance to buy one at a good price and I do like a 7x50. Another 7x50 I'm interested in is the Nikon 7x50 IF WP Sport/Marine. I used to own a Fujinon FMT-SX 7x50 but in the end I found it too heavy for a 7x and also found the eye-relief a little bit too long (too much of a good thing!). Thanks for all your advice.

#2 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:53 AM

Welcome to Binoculars, Dog Star. You are indeed in the right place. I can't answer your question, but while you wait for answers from those who can, you might have a look at the 209 binocular mini-reviews that are linked at the top of this page. You might find what you are looking for there.

#3 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2006 - 01:50 AM

Welcome Dog Star,

I looked into the FUJI and the NIKON 7x50s several years ago, and I decided on the FUJI. Yes, it is a bit heavy, but, with my bad back, ironically, this actually helps me to hold them steadily. I have not regretted my choice.

Now the Oberwerk 8x56 has too much eye relief for me, but the FUJI is quite right, and I don't use my perscription glasses with it. Interesting, isn't it?

At any rate, good luck in your search. The Steiner seems too expensive for what you would gain just for astronomy--my opinion only.

Best regards,
Dave.

#4 Dog Star

Dog Star

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2006 - 07:32 AM

Thanks very much Dave. When you mentioned the "Steiner seems too expensive for what you would gain just for astronomy...", was that based on the Steiner being more expensive than the Fujinon ? Here in the UK they usually cost about the same, but right now I've got an opportunity to buy the Steiner for 75% of the price of the Fujinon.
Many thanks !

#5 mooreorless

mooreorless

Just worried

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:22 AM

Hi Dog Star,The Nikon 7x50 IF Sport/Marine at 41 oz.,18mm Eye Relief and close focus of 82 ft. is supposed to be a very good binocular for Astronomy.
Regards,Steve

#6 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2006 - 03:00 AM

Hi again Dog Star,

Don't get me wrong; the Steiners are fine instruments. Simply put, what I meant was that the Steiner vs. FUJI and OTHERS, PER SPECIFICATION, seems overpriced to me for astronomical observations ONLY!

However, with your opportunity at about 75% would, IMO, be a good consideration for you. Again, as mentioned so oft before in these lists, try to field test the various units at a local shop if at all possible.

Best regards,
Dave.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics