•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion 120 f/8.3 thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 28 October 2019 - 04:54 AM

I have a chance to get one of these.,I have read some old threads here but would like to hear some more recent thoughts.,Thanks.,

• nicoledoula likes this

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 28 October 2019 - 05:44 AM

Dave:

What are you hoping it will do better than your AT-102 ED - XT 10 combo already does?

Jon

• clearwaterdave and Steve Cox like this

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 28 October 2019 - 06:25 AM

It's a reasonable OTA but I'd think you'd get more out of your ES 127 F6.5

• clearwaterdave and nicoledoula like this

#4 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 28 October 2019 - 07:10 AM

Heya,

Good scope if it's $150~175ish. Good optics. Has some false color on the gas giants and brighter stars. Easy on eyepieces. It's a heavy scope and requires significant mounting to appreciate it at higher power usage, definitely not a grab & go for a small mount to handle. The weakest point of the scope is the focuser. It's a metal focuser and 2" but it's just not that robust and trusty. I replaced it immediately. That adds to the cost of the scope, but well worth it to me, even on a cheap scope, to avoid seeing anything fall out or turning under load. I have the Celestron Omni XLT 120 version of this scope. I used it on a TW1 mount and it was wobbly and not great at anything but low power, not comfortable on that mount, it's just so long of a scope (its not the weight, its the sheer length). I used it on a TW2 and HEQ5 and those handle it like a boss.

44861693964_1b2b6681d0_c.jpg

36722945385_e03e8d2f89_c.jpg

32615865562_27c8a96d39_c.jpg

Very best,

• petert913, Xeroid, AndresEsteban and 4 others like this

#5 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 28 October 2019 - 07:46 AM

The 120 f/8 is a really decent scope by itself at a good price and one I could've been happy with as an only scope many years back when I had the chance to get one.  But having since owned an XT10 and still owning a 102ED, I have to say they're almost the perfect combo and not one I'd want to mess with.  The 120 f/8 isn't going to give you anything in between that the other two scopes don't do better.  I'd spend your money improving and accessorizing your XT10 as much as possible and enjoy what you have.

• Jon Isaacs, clearwaterdave and Astroman007 like this

#6 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 28 October 2019 - 07:50 AM

I put a dual-speed focuser on mine and I love it.  But all previous comments are true.  Not a barn burner

but a good utilitarian scope.

eeZdeAnm.jpg

• clearwaterdave, Astroman007 and Voilam like this

#7 Astroman007

Astroman007

Cosmos

• ***--
  • Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 October 2019 - 08:16 AM

The 120 f/8 is a really decent scope by itself at a good price and one I could've been happy with as an only scope many years back when I had the chance to get one.  But having since owned an XT10 and still owning a 102ED, I have to say they're almost the perfect combo and not one I'd want to mess with.  The 120 f/8 isn't going to give you anything in between that the other two scopes don't do better.  I'd spend your money improving and accessorizing your XT10 as much as possible and enjoy what you have.

Sometimes it really is better to stick with what you already have.

Ultimately of course, the decision is yours. But I wouldn't get another scope until I thoroughly exhaust the potential of the one I already have with more eyepieces and other accessories.

• clearwaterdave and Steve Cox like this

#8 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:25 AM

Well.,Thank you all for your replies.,Jon's question is the one I have been asking myself.,and I guess I don't expect it to do anything better than what I already have.,It is priced at $150 and my thoughts were it needs a good home.,lol.,I thought I would play with it for a bit and tweek if needed and then "maybe" pass it on.,I also pictured it riding nicely on the LX70.,So many scopes,.,so little time..,cheers.,

• Jon Isaacs, gene 4181, BFaucett and 2 others like this

#9 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:29 AM

I had one a few months ago and it was a Great one, it had me wanting a 6" Refractor. So I sold it to a good friend of mine who had seen many things through it at our Star Parties. And I got a Celestron CR-150-HD.

The 6" Celestron is also a Stunner !!!

Mark

The 120 Orion at the Dark Sky sight showed some awesome images....

• clearwaterdave, Steve Allison, Steve Cox and 1 other like this

#10 gene 4181

gene 4181

Aurora

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:33 AM

For 150 $   ,   might be worth it , I've paid way more  just too   " have  a peek "  or  " I always wanted too look thru one of those "    scenarios   ,  or   I wonder  how this eyepiece  would work at f 8 .3  smile.gif

Edited by gene 4181, 28 October 2019 - 10:49 AM.

• clearwaterdave and BFaucett like this

#11 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 28 October 2019 - 11:19 AM

I’ve had 2 of these myself. I mirror Jon’s question. The 120 f/8.3 never really was brought out when I had my 100ED and my 10” dob. I think if you pass on this one, eventually it will still find a good home down the road. 

• clearwaterdave likes this

#12 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 28 October 2019 - 12:38 PM

The 2-speed focuser is a must.  And the GSO is $140.....so that would double the cost of your investment shocked.gif lol.gif

#13 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2019 - 02:11 PM

This comes on an eq mount.,any comments about it?.,Sturdy.,wanky.,good mount poor tripod?.,Thanks.,

#14 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 29 October 2019 - 05:11 PM

I assume the mount is the Celestron CG4.  This is a well known solid mount.  It will good visually with the 120mm.  Not so good if you want to do astrophotography 

#15 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 29 October 2019 - 05:25 PM

There are probably better ways to spend your money.  There is nothing you will see in this scope that you can't already see in your other scopes. 

Heck, in my opinion, you have to much duplication already*.  I would be looking to sell some of those scopes and get the mirror on your dob re-figured to a high level of quality. Dump everything but the 100mm f/7 refractor.  Or get a really high quality Alt-Az mount for your f/7.  Or something useful that does not simply do more of what you have already. 

Or, hey, life is short, and credit card limits are high, so if you think you fancy it, go ahead and get it.  My bet is that it is just going to be more stuff though, but if you need more stuff, you don't need our permission go get it.. LOL. 

* Jon's point, and one that I totally agree with. 

• Jon Isaacs, meade4ever, Steve Cox and 1 other like this

#16 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:09 PM

There are probably better ways to spend your money.  There is nothing you will see in this scope that you can't already see in your other scopes. 

Heck, in my opinion, you have to much duplication already*.  I would be looking to sell some of those scopes and get the mirror on your dob re-figured to a high level of quality. Dump everything but the 100mm f/7 refractor.  Or get a really high quality Alt-Az mount for your f/7.  Or something useful that does not simply do more of what you have already. 

Or, hey, life is short, and credit card limits are high, so if you think you fancy it, go ahead and get it.  My bet is that it is just going to be more stuff though, but if you need more stuff, you don't need our permission go get it.. LOL. 

* Jon's point, and one that I totally agree with. 

LOL.,I couldn't agree more.,except about the better mount for the 102.,between Frank and the LX70 the 102 has very nice rides.,thank you very much.,

As for selling some of my kit.,selling scopes in Maine is like selling snow to Alaskan's..and nothing I have is worth shipping anywhere.,

Let us "just say no" I don't need this scope.,nor did I ask permission.,I asked about the scope's virtues.,quality.,and opinions about using it on this mount.,If I buy it.,I'll buy it because I want to.,and because down the road I may find someone to give it to who will enjoy it for ever and ever.,lol., .,cheers.,

PS.,My mirrors are plenty good enough for me.,lol.,I can barely get over 150x with the New England atmosphere on most nights anyway.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190413_184113.jpg(1).jpg
  • 20190729_194743.jpg.jpg

• payner, BFaucett, Wildetelescope and 1 other like this

#17 nicoledoula

nicoledoula

Apollo

Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:12 PM

I thought "Why not" until I saw the AR 127 in your equipment list. The CG-4 might be useful.

#18 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:20 PM

Is the mount a cg4.,?., That's what I'm wondering.,They offered a Skyview pro mount/tripod for this ota also.,The astroview is lighter duty.,and the one I'm asking about.,cheers

#19 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:50 PM

Quality... my first one took me a few hours to collimated it, the second one was so far out I never attempted. 

Focuser is ok for a R&P I guess, 

CA, well once you go to an ED to a achro, you realize what your missing.  My 100 ED blew it away on planets and lunar, and much enjoyed open clusters with the 100ED over the achro. Even more so the 10”. 

You lose a lot of detail due to the CA, 

pipe mount of yours will hold it fine. Never look at zenith during the winter though unless you can get it higher. It’s a long scope. 

AR127 will be wider

would I ever buy another one, no. Needs a better focuser, CA tears up Jupiter compared to an ED. 

Normally I recommend these, to people who don’t have ED’s already. 

#20 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:24 AM

This comes on an eq mount.,any comments about it?.,Sturdy.,wanky.,good mount poor tripod?.,Thanks.,

The Orion version of this telescope came with the Astroview mount.  The Astroview is the same as the older CG-4, the one with the extruded aluminum legs. 

It's a disaster with the 120 mm F/8.3. I bought the drives for mine. At 100x, each step of the drive would vibrate the scope, blurring stars so I had to turn it off..

With a much stiffer tripod, things were much better.  Don't buy this thinking the mount is an upgrade for anything.

2074200-Orion 120 + Houston Fearless 2.jpg

Jon

• clearwaterdave and Voilam like this

#21 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:44 AM

The Orion version of this telescope came with the Astroview mount.  The Astroview is the same as the older CG-4, the one with the extruded aluminum legs. 

It's a disaster with the 120 mm F/8.3. I bought the drives for mine. At 100x, each step of the drive would vibrate the scope, blurring stars so I had to turn it off..

With a much stiffer tripod, things were much better.  Don't buy this thinking the mount is an upgrade for anything.

Jon

Agreed!  the CG-4 is a nice little mount, for smaller scopes. I used it a lot with my 6 inch mak. Better tripod certainly helps. It is NOT for the 120 mm F8.  That rides nicely on a GM8 or Atlas.  A fairly good size scope, although not near as heavy or bulky as a similar sized triplet. 

cheers!

JMD

#22 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:48 AM

Agreed!  the CG-4 is a nice little mount, for smaller scopes. I used it a lot with my 6 inch mak. Better tripod certainly helps. It is NOT for the 120 mm F8.  That rides nicely on a GM8 or Atlas.  A fairly good size scope, although not near as heavy or bulky as a similar sized triplet. 

cheers!

JMD

The current CG-4 with it's 1.75 inch steel tripod legs is a much better mount than the older CG-4s and Aetroviews..

Jon

• tony_spina, clearwaterdave and BFaucett like this

#23 tog

tog

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Front Yard

Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:22 AM

Love my Orion 120mm f/8.3 on the SkyView Pro mount!

#24 DeWayne

DeWayne

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:56 AM

I bought one of these off CN earlier this year.  Almost immediately replaced the stock focuser with the GSO crayford, and it was like a whole new scope.   Agree with other comments - needs a really solid mount to get the most out of it.  The Astroview mount that comes with it is barely adequate for visual use.  If you've already got 100 ED refractor,  I doubt you'd get much out of this scope.   I do NOT have an ED refractor, though,  and I love this scope. I sold my 8" dob after I got this scope (but I have access to a much bigger dob at our club dark sky site, so I don't suffer from "aperture starvation.")  For my in-town observing of planetary and double stars, this is a great solution.   The collimatable cell was a selling point, which is ironic because one reason I like refractors is you don't need to collimate them.  But I I collimated this twice - once when I first got it,  again after the focuser upgrade.  I like having the option if ever needed.  

I mounted an astroview head to an LX tripod to create a rock solid (if rock heavy) mount I can drag onto the back porch for this scope.   

Because of the need for a solid (heavy) mount, I don't think of this as a travel or grab and go scope.  But for my personal home enjoyment,  it's working nicely.   I can echo other comments about optical performance.   An APO it ain't.  It performs about as well as you'd expect for a shortish/longish f/8.3 achro refractor.  Some false color around bright objects that can be reduced with filters.  I've tried the filters and mostly didn't find them worth it, as the CA was not that bad.  But it gives nice deep sky views, too, and good detail on Jupiter and Saturn.   I can certainly split doubles I could not split with my smaller refractors, and I don't think I've lost much compared to the 8" dob.  The dob was clearly capable of more IF perfectly collimated, but that tends to not be the way I roll....  right now im working my way through the AL Messier program with mostly this telescope, if that's any indication.   

Not sure this will help your decision,  but you asked for some recent thoughts about the scope....

• eros312, paul m schofield, clearwaterdave and 2 others like this

#25 oldtimer

oldtimer

Vanguard

• Loc: Lake County Illinois

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:28 AM

The 120 F8.3 is NOT a planetary scope. Its color correction is only 58% of the Sidgwick standard. This is only slightly better than the 80mm F5 short tube guys. All that being said it is still a 'good' scope for almost everything else.

Gary (oldtimer.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics