•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion 120 f/8.3 thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:44 PM

SR.,The stars look good so I will leave it be.,but thank you for the link.,I put a vixen clamp on the mount and a rail on the rings.,Now I want to make it new legs.,In the mean time I put it on the LX70.,it kinda likes it there.,Can the c4 go on this tripod?.,bolt looks the same.,forgive.,this idea just popped into my head.,lol.,20 minutes will tell.,too much fun.,

• BFaucett and Steve Cox like this

#52 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:04 PM

SR.,The stars look good so I will leave it be.,but thank you for the link.,I put a vixen clamp on the mount and a rail on the rings.,Now I want to make it new legs.,In the mean time I put it on the LX70.,it kinda likes it there.,Can the c4 go on this tripod?.,bolt looks the same.,forgive.,this idea just popped into my head.,lol.,20 minutes will tell.,too much fun.,

Yes. CG4 can go on that tripod. 

• clearwaterdave likes this

#53 tog

tog

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Front Yard

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:38 PM

Really nice scope Dave. Not too heavy, easy to set up and use, gives great views, one of the first scopes to get me started down the astronomy path. I don't care what other scopes I get-the 120mm f/8 will always remain one of my favorites. 

• beanerds, clearwaterdave and BFaucett like this

#54 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 06 November 2019 - 05:56 AM

Well the C4 does fit on the LX70 tripod.,cool beans indeed.,but I will make some wooden legs for its tripod just cause.,

Ultimitely this scope will ride on Frank better than either of the eq's because viewing near zeinth is easier with Frank.,

But before that can happen I need to get another vixen clamp.,they have nice ones at svbony.,$39.,or rig the one I have to swap back and forth easier.,food for thought.,

Edited by clearwaterdave, 06 November 2019 - 05:57 AM.

• BFaucett likes this

#55 BFaucett

BFaucett

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas 29.779 -95.603 (approx)

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:39 AM

Thank you Beanerds.,I didn't get this to replace or to out do my other scopes.,It was a simple matter of it looked nice.,it was priced right.,and I like refractors.,lol.,And it does put out nice views..It cleaned up good.,and after making the scope and mount vixen friendly I think I will enjoy them both even more because I can mix an match to my hearts content.,cheers.,

Dave,

I get it! waytogo.gif Heck, for the price you paid, I probably would have bought it too if the seller had been near me.  It's always fun to play with a new toy. laugh.gif   I'm happy for you that you're enjoying your new scope. I look forward to you posting some reports in the Observation Log thread about using this scope. Have fun and enjoy the scope!  Because, IMHO, that's what this hobby really should be all about.

Cheers!  Bob F. smile.gif

PS:  Here's one of my toys that I purchased simply because I wanted it. grin.gif   It's a Stellarvue SV102 achromat (FL 1100 mm, f/10.8).  It kind of reminds me of the old Unitron refractors that I couldn't afford back when I was a teenager in the late 60s and early 70s. 

gallery_230527_10980_101508.jpg

Edited by BFaucett, 06 November 2019 - 08:52 AM.

• paul m schofield, clearwaterdave and Steve Cox like this

#56 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:32 AM

Very sweet Bob.,That is a very nice looking rig.,I just came in from testing my new set-up on Frank and it floats like a dream.,

I had to remake the clamp piece and luck was with me.,I can fit a flange on the back side and the clamp on the front and still use it (the clamp) on the Orion mount.,BUT.,.LOL.,

I did end up ordering another clamp and bar that I will put on the Orion permanently.,lol.,So I will be able to have a light duty or heavy duty clamp on the Orion mount.,

It's blowin here and the 120 wasn't moving on Frank.,Very stable.,I'm still smiling.,cheers.,

• BFaucett likes this

#57 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:07 PM

Well.,Thank you all for your replies.,Jon's question is the one I have been asking myself.,and I guess I don't expect it to do anything better than what I already have.,It is priced at $150 and my thoughts were it needs a good home.,lol.,I thought I would play with it for a bit and tweek if needed and then "maybe" pass it on.,I also pictured it riding nicely on the LX70.,So many scopes,.,so little time..,cheers.,

I mean, if you can get $150 (or $150 - resale) out of fun from it, why not? Plenty of people buy equipment just to toy with it for a while before passing it on.
  • clearwaterdave and BFaucett like this

#58 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:09 PM

Here are some pics of my mount tweek.,on the Orion mount the rings bolt directly to the mount.,no bar.,no clamp.,till now.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191106_135639.jpg
  • 20191106_135656.jpg
  • 20191106_135240.jpg
  • 20191106_135056.jpg
  • 20191106_135033.jpg
  • 20191103_143430.jpg

• beanerds, paul m schofield and BFaucett like this

#59 beanerds

beanerds

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:38 AM

I believe you might've misunderstood my post.  What you wrote is basically what I was getting at; the scopes clearwaterdave already has (had) already cover and fill the range that the 120 f/8 serves, so as a supplemental scope there's really no place for it in Dave's lineup.  But if it was an only scope then yes it would do very well.  But I understand Dave's sentiment that it's an awful tempting and beautiful scope and he can have lots of fun with it. 

OTOH, how often it gets out depends on how willing he is to haul it out and setup, being it's also a scope on the heavy side.  Having a 6" f/8 I fully understand that point as my 102ED/Voyager 2 sees much more time out, and if I changed the 6" f/8 out to a 10" dob, the dob would be out more often too.  But when my 6" f/8 was my only scope I was much more willing to lug it out.  In my new house though, it's much more difficult to get out the door and place as I need the ability to move around in the yard to see around neighbors trees, and a long focus refractor on heavy GEM can't do that.

Bang on ! , but ,,, there is always a " but "  and it's this . so here it is ,

Set up the 120mm f8.3 on its EQ mount on the lawn and you could bet your bottom $ that the neighbours will know what's happening and come over for a look at the moon or Jupiter or Mars , yeah !  .

Set up the rocket launcher ( 10 inch Dob ) and it's gonna be a serious night ,,,  Kid's love refractors ,, just like me cool.gif  .

Beanerds 

• paul m schofield and Steve Cox like this

#60 beanerds

beanerds

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:30 AM

Thank you Beanerds.,I didn't get this to replace or to out do my other scopes.,It was a simple matter of it looked nice.,it was priced right.,and I like refractors.,lol.,And it does put out nice views..It cleaned up good.,and after making the scope and mount vixen friendly I think I will enjoy them both even more because I can mix an match to my hearts content.,cheers.,

Excelentee ! I an the same , what ever tickles your fancy on the night .

And as you are finding out a 5 inch class medium fl refractor is as good as it get's ,, unless you are a millioneer . Goldilocks telescopes .

Here's mine .

Beanerds.

Attached Thumbnails

• WP_20170106_19_34_49_Pro (3).jpg

• paul m schofield, clearwaterdave, BFaucett and 3 others like this

#61 paul m schofield

paul m schofield

Ranger 4

• Loc: Hollywood, Florida, USA, with grandson Ethan

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:57 PM

I took my Meade 120mm f/8.3 out to our club's Saturday public night and discovered it works well for kids and families. It's large enough to attract attention and tough enough so I don't worry about any bumps or small hands touching things. It put up some nice views of Jupiter, though very low to the horizon, Saturn, and the moon. We were so busy with people that I had little time for any other objects. It's a great public viewing scope.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Edited by paul m schofield, 08 November 2019 - 09:35 AM.

• beanerds, clearwaterdave, BFaucett and 2 others like this

#62 mfalls

mfalls

Vostok 1

• Loc: Boston Mountains Arkansas

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:18 AM

Thank you guys.This is the type of replies I was looking for.,

I know this scope will not do anything the scopes I have can't do.,I just like frac's.,and I think it looks awful nice.,long and white.,lol.,Cheers.,

This is my scope of choice for family reunions. Set up on a tall sturdy mahogony tripod and skyview pro or cg5 mount the size and length impresses the kids and I turn them loose with it. 

• paul m schofield, clearwaterdave and BFaucett like this

#63 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:05 AM

Paul.,That looks like a very rugged set up.,the extra support tray is a great addition.,serving 2 purpose's.,waytogo.gif waytogo.gif.,

mfalls.,Would like to see that tripod.,got any pics?.,kudo's for lettin the kids have at it..cheers

• paul m schofield likes this

#64 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:20 PM

Here it is mounted on Frank.,It rides nice on this.,and is easy to mount on this cradle set up.,got it ready for a little moonin tonight.,cheers.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191109_120635.jpg

• BFaucett, Steve Allison and Steve Cox like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics