•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Three Stones Observatory Build log

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#26 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• topic starter
  • Loc: Chicago Suburbs, USA

Posted 03 October 2020 - 09:39 PM

Nothing gets done without large quantities of PBJ sandwiches..

IMG_20201003_120842.jpg

• mdowns, PirateMike, gundark and 2 others like this

#27 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• topic starter

Posted 03 October 2020 - 09:42 PM

Lastly, I received a V-groove wheel (sample i ordered) I plan to use for the ROR, its a beast. a 4" diameter  steel wheel.

IMG_20201003_193752.jpg

• PirateMike and Travellingbears like this

#28 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 03 October 2020 - 11:16 PM

The obs is looking good. waytogo.gif

Miguel   8-)

• ssagerian likes this

#29 Travellingbears

Travellingbears

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland bay shoreline

Posted 04 October 2020 - 12:31 PM

Steve

Each week I can see additional tasks being ‘checked off’ the list on the build. It’s awkward getting the sheets of tyvek unrolled, stretched and stapled. The 4” steel wheels will certainly do the job. Keep up the good work! 

Dave

#30 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• topic starter

Posted 04 October 2020 - 01:31 PM

Dave,

that's correct, I try to have a sequenced punch list of all the things I plan to do (and another list of all the things I need to bring, nothing worst than being an hour away from a hardware store). This next week is focused on getting the ROR gantry stood up and the materials for the rail system ordered.

Also, a big mistake on my part,  I managed to nail the inner wall a foot short of its designed location so I  have to extract the 16d nails that are holding it in place, move it and then re-secure it, at least a days work (for a software engineer anyway). As always, thanks for your comments (everyone).

SteveS

• PirateMike likes this

#31 Travellingbears

Travellingbears

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 04 October 2020 - 06:27 PM

Steve

I was known to measure twice and ‘goof once’ on my build. I’m not functioning at close to an expert level in most DIY home project skill areas. On my project at the start of the build day I tried to think ‘safety first’ so I can keep my fingers and other vital limbs attached/functional and took a few minutes while still fresh to re-check the quality of work from the previous day. As an imperfect human who can overlook stuff after a long day (eg, make mistakes) I accepted that rework time was part of the build project. My observatory still has a punch list but I was noticeably ‘happy’ (my wife could tell) when my observatory reached ‘substantial completion phase’ and I started to move equipment. Keep up the motivation! 

I didn’t rent framing nailer so my situation was easier (only screws being removed with drill in most cases) when things weren’t right. Important thing is that you checked your work and decided to correct things to meet your standards. 

Dave

Edited by Travellingbears, 04 October 2020 - 06:27 PM.

#32 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• topic starter

Posted 05 October 2020 - 07:10 AM

Dave, Miguel and friends, have you ever replaced an exterior door? For me, the procedure was to take a saws-all (reciprocating saw) and cut thru the nails holding the door frame in place. Once all  the nails are cut, the door can be gently forced out with a sledge hammer and a block of wood. That is how i can move (remove) the miss located wall. I was thinking it would be several hours of attempting to pry the nail heads and crow bar the nails out. My lazy self figured a way around the work!

Edited by ssagerian, 05 October 2020 - 09:26 AM.

• PirateMike and Scott123 like this

#33 Travellingbears

Travellingbears

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 October 2020 - 10:00 AM

Steve

It sounds like a plan to ‘demo’ (cut nails) with reciprocating saw. From a photo it appeared that mid-wall was inset by 30-36” (‘east’ side) to allow for your door from warm room into scope room. I imagine the mid-wall ‘joined’ 3-1/2 out (butted) against the vertical ‘west’ exterior wall framing. It might be easier to make those vertical nail cuts than working on floor cuts. My question is ability to get blade and the saw body aligned/inserted ‘straight’ vs having ‘angled’ position (to prevent blade from scuffing wood) especially on floor cuts since bottom plate is resting directly on deck.

Was the original mid-wall position ‘encroaching’ on scope room or warm room space? 

Dave

Edited by Travellingbears, 05 October 2020 - 10:23 AM.

• ssagerian likes this

#34 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• topic starter

Posted 05 October 2020 - 10:15 AM

I ll use a long metal cutting blade, the wall cuts,  it will certainly be some what angled to the work, I ll just have to be careful.

I am hoping that I can push the top of the wall and force the bottom to pull the nails somewhat clear of the flooring so I can get at them.

Thats one thing I need to pay more attention to, providing better photos of the actual details of the construction so that others can see what works (or as an improper example, case may be).

Im going out there this evening and try to get the wall corrected so I ll try to take some better pics.

#35 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• topic starter

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:29 PM

I got my wall moved this afternoon, left home at 4:30 and drove down to the site, arriving about 6 (outbound traffic is terrible at 4:30).

I was not able to get the saw blade into the gap on one side so ended up using a hammer and small crow bar, which to my surprise worked very well (and fast). Once I got the one side unfastened, I was able to crow bar a enough of a gap in the other side that I could easily slide the sawall blade into the gap and cut the nails.

Once both sides were loose I could push the wall over such that it pulled the nails from the floor joist. I could now hammer the head of the  bottom plate nails back into the wood and move the whole wall. I marked and chalked the correct location for the wall, pushed it into position and nailed it to the floor joists and put a couple of nails in the sides to hold it  vertically (forgot my level so I ll have to adjust the wall next saturday).

I now have a 5' 3" X ~10' warming room to go with my 10'x10' scope room. There is enough space for a 25" work station and 3 additional feet to sit comfortably. Did you ever go to a restaurant which has those booths where the table is too close to the seating? The edge of the table presses into your chest..man that is annoying.

#36 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• topic starter

Posted 08 October 2020 - 08:48 AM

This weekend I have 2 goals, one is to complete the gantry minus the track. As part of that, I ll deliver the flat bar and angle iron to my farmer fiend to have it welded.

The second goal involves another "fix" to the inner wall. When I purchased the door for the warming room the  owner told me that it was a 36" door, so I created a rough opening of 38". All of my doors, windows and anticipated materials are currently cluttering my garage, my wife is none too happy about it. Well I happened to be moving stuff around in the garage and realized that the door was narrower, turns out its a 32" door. So that IS the other task, to rework the rough opening. In a way, Im happy about it as I had only been able to find 36" doors from my usual sources,  but really wanted something smaller, 28 would have been perfect, so a 32" exterior door will give me back 4" inches of wall space. I know its not much but to me, every inch is a bonus.

#37 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:41 PM

Gosh, I didnt update this log  for last week. The gantry is  up as you can see in the photos below. It took most of the day to complete getting every thing plump and level. I also fixed the framing for the narrower door and sheathed the wall with OSB (oriented strand board). I didn't work on Sunday, it rained. Each week is either a one work day weekend or a 2 work day weekend. Is that clear? If I am lucky and my wife isnt fed-up I can get two days per weekend.

Either way it is a real grind, getting up early, packing the car with the tools and materials I need, driving to the site, putting in a full work day, saw dusts in your face, wind, heat, bugs, finish up at sundown, stow all the materials, clean up the job site, load up the tools and head back home, grimy and filthy when you get home. Truth is that I love it, and looking forward to sitting in that warming room and driving my scope all over the sky.  This weekend may be a 2 work day weekend, but its forecast to rain Sunday, we will see.

So that brings you up to this weekend. I still dont have a roof on the ROR. But, I had all the materials I need to build the roof delivered today but it was hellishly windy. A constant howling wind battered the ROR, wind gusts of up to 45 Mph. So no roof yet. I decided to cut the rough opening of the interior door, and the window looking in to the scope room . I also installed the exterior window on the north wall of the warming room.) Lastly I took shelter on the north side of the ROR and sided the exterior wall.

Starting the siding on the north side

IMG_20201017_140726.jpg

Siding completed

northside_wwindow.jpg

Some lunatic..

smile.jpg

• PirateMike, mikerepp, kathyastro and 1 other like this

#38 Travellingbears

Travellingbears

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:27 PM

Steve

Siding is looking good and outer window installed. If annoying winds persist are you going to continue with ‘ground level’ tasks (3-4 days left on siding) and then start framing up necessary pre-requisite trusses for roof?

I’m assuming 10-ft span common trusses style could be manageable weight to get onto roof and you had neighbor with available tractor/front loader. Could you pre-assemble major roof framing on the ground? Example: just ‘stand up’ trusses on roof rails and secure nail with hurricane joist hangars at 2-ft OC spacing at each side as move along. Then slide/lift framed skeleton onto roof from one end (gantry) with board ramps and chain/strap assistance? With high winds I’m wondering if ‘working from the ground’ and then scheduling ‘lift’ of roof when skeleton was assembled on ‘quieter day’ might get it done easier.

Dave

• ssagerian likes this

#39 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• -----

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:30 PM

Looking good and making good progress. waytogo.gif

Keep it up, you're almost there for completing the major parts of the outside work. 

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 18 October 2020 - 02:30 PM.

• ssagerian likes this

#40 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for the comments and encouragement!

The next step has to be getting the roof on, that means getting the angle iron and bar stock into the hands of my welder and getting that installed on the top plate of the walls.

The angle iron is 3 pieces of stock, 20' long, too heavy to transport on my suv and Im too cheap to pay someone to haul it so Ill cut it into 10' lengths and haul those. So that is my goal for the next few days, cut the materials down to size and deliver them to my friend for welding.

• PirateMike likes this

#41 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• -----

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:34 PM

Once you get the roof on... the rest is easy. grin.gif

Miguel   8-)

#42 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:35 PM

Once you get the roof on... the rest is easy. grin.gif

Miguel   8-)

See my signature....

• Scott Mitchell likes this

#43 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• -----

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:38 PM

See my signature....

I've seen it.  flowerred.gif

#44 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• -----

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:38 PM

You'll be fine and the Obs will be wonderful.

Miguel   8-)

#45 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:11 PM

So today I cut those 20' sections of angle iron and flat bar stock into 10' sections, marked them so that it would be easy for my welder friend to align and weld the materials to make the V-grove tracks. Included is a picture of 4 of the 10' flat bar stock pieces, you can see the 1' lines/tick marks indicating where the angle iron should be placed, centered (and clamped) and where along the assembly it should be tack welded..is that clear? I hope so. I took them down to my friends farm and dropped it off (he was out harvesting). I hope he can do the welding before or on Saturday. I can get the wheel carriage on the roof and begin adding rafters.

IMG_20201021_105208.jpg

• PirateMike likes this

#46 Travellingbears

Travellingbears

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:48 PM

Steve

Good luck with the project this weekend. Hope that it’s dry and not too windy. Looking forward to seeing more photos!

Dave

#47 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:56 AM

Hello Enlightened travelers,

If there was a theme for this weekends work, it would be "dont do this at home". I am still waiting for the ROR track to be welded so the next thing on the PUNCHLIST is to finish the warm room's roof. This is a sub roof that is normally protected by the main ROR roof. It forms a insulated box (5'x10' box) that will be the warming room. Typically, whenever I construct a wall or roof section, I frame it up on the ground, square it up, then nail sheathing on it to hold it square, then raise it in place (in the case of walls). In the case of roofs it needs to be raised in to place. I am sure there is a youtube video on how to do this safely but I wasn't close to an internet connection so I resorted to leveraging gravity and my own feeble muscles. I was successful but physically spent . I wont do that again, I should have built it "in place".  Please don't attempt  this on your own.

When the main roof is in place I will install the door, window,  insulation and dry wall to the warming room.

Regarding the V-groove track, I expect it to be completed, and in position, middle of this up coming week. I will be very excited to get the shed under the protection of a roof. Nearly all the pictures I have posted in the last couple weeks have shown dark, ominous skies, bad weather and winter is coming.  I ve posted two pictures in this post and will post two additional pics in the following post (size limitations of CN)

So next week its frame the roof,align and test the ROR track, get the roofing panels on.

Completed roof section

IMG_20201024_115453.jpg

sliding the roof into place

IMG_20201024_123344.jpg

• dmdouglass, PirateMike and Travellingbears like this

#48 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:58 AM

the rest of the story..

roof in place..

IMG_20201024_133522.jpg

view of roof from the end of the gantry (note angry skies)

IMG_20201024_150640.jpg

Edited by ssagerian, 25 October 2020 - 10:00 AM.

• dmdouglass, mikerepp and Travellingbears like this

#49 Travellingbears

Travellingbears

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:50 PM

Steve

It was a busy day with the construction and placing of roof over warm room! It must have been a challenge to raise a 5x10 ft section up and over the 8-ft wall and then ‘shimmy’ it forward into final position without ‘dropping’ it off one of supporting edges. 

Dave

• PirateMike and ssagerian like this

#50 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 07:52 PM

Looking good!

The warm room still looks cold for now, but I bet it will become the "cold room" once summer rolls around again.

I can't wait to see the ROR being installed.

Miguel   8-)

• ssagerian likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics