•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Three Stones Observatory Build log

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#126 HunterofPhotons

HunterofPhotons

Surveyor 1

• *----
  • Loc: Rhode Island, USA

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:48 AM

I would have opted for trusses built on the ground in a jig.  It's much easier work, ultimately more accurate, and your soffit construction would have been integrated into that.

Here's a simple diagram for an ROR soffit:

soffit detail.jpg

The soffit is part of the roof and moves with it.  The horizontal trim piece is attached to the side wall.  

When the roof is closed this roof-to-wall junction is impervious to wind and insects.

dan k.

#127 ssagerian  Happy Birthday!

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• topic starter
  • Loc: Chicago Suburbs, USA

Posted 21 July 2021 - 05:26 PM

Hi Dan,

I am hoping others who have experience building this kind of ROR with over hanging rafters will comment too. It is all a big learning experience.

I would definitely agree with building trusses from a jig on the ground. It would have been nice to have a large barn/shed structure to build the jig to build the trusses in and nicer still to have a large truck to haul them to the site, but not having either of those resources I decided to build it the way I did, it was simpler to have the lumber delivered in bulk and just start at it.  Maybe I should have built the jig on site (something 11-12ft wide by 9-10 ft deep), probably could have just stored  the jig and trusses under a large tarp until ready, good idea for next time.

I plan to  build another observatory in a couple years and I ll definitely use that approach.

I don't think my carpentry skills are good enough to manage getting a smooth roof to wall junction as you 've shown, probably end up with a set of garage door strips or staple set flexible strip brushes.  Did you actually build your observatory soffit/trim as shown?

SteveS

Edited by ssagerian, 22 July 2021 - 09:09 AM.

#128 HunterofPhotons

HunterofPhotons

Surveyor 1

• *----
  • Loc: Rhode Island, USA

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:23 PM

...I don't think my carpentry skills are good enough to manage getting a smooth roof to wall junction as you 've shown, probably end up with a set of garage door strips or staple set flexible strip brushes.  Did you actually build your observatory soffit/trim as shown?

SteveS

Yes, I did use this approach for my own observatory.  From what you've done already on your observatory I would think your skills are good enough to do something similar.

Strip off the top couple of pieces the existing siding, build a soffit that almost touches the wall, and butt the trim piece up to the soffit.

The soffit in the diagram floats a bit on the wall side so nothing binds during movement.

I've often done full-sized layouts and jigs on decks but I do prefer to work standing up so some sheets of plywood tossed on horses is even nicer.  The jig can be just a few small pieces of scrap wood.  Making a jig and building all your trusses is an easy one day job.

dan k.

#129 ssagerian  Happy Birthday!

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:19 PM

Dan, I ll consider it, I ll want to observe how close the current rough moves relative to the walls when I roll out the roof before I decide. I also would have an issue with the vinyl siding corner posts.

I finished the rough out of the soffit box on the west side this afternoon.

The soffit panel is a piece of OSB ripped to fill the bottom of the framing (roughly 13" wide). Once its boxed in, Im planning to wrap the osb with tyvek and then finish it with vinyl. I was planning on purchasing some vinyl soffit  but have a lot of regular siding left over, would anyone think I am too cheap if I cut a bunch of the siding, nailed some J channel on both long edges and mounted the siding on the under side of the soffit panel?

Lastly, just as we were leaving for the day..here is a pic of a big thunder boomer just west of TSO. Oh,yes you can see the alfalfa has been mowed/bailed and is gone, my neighbor's corn is looking good too.

IMG_20210722_181948390_HDR.jpg

Edited by ssagerian, 22 July 2021 - 09:20 PM.

• dmdouglass and Travellingbears like this

#130 ssagerian  Happy Birthday!

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 12:22 PM

Hello CNers,

I closed off the softit box on the east side and wrapped the whole thing in tyvek, will apply vinyl soffits or the remainder of my siding later this week. There is a 3/4" gap between the east wall and the soffit, I m thinking of ripping a 2x4 the long way to use as a trim piece. The first image is the soffit wrapped in Tyvek.

IMG_20210724_175028069_HDR.jpg

I also took some time to make the pieces which will seal the scope room floor from the base of the pier. The image shows the pieces in place and some foam pipe insulation wrapped around the pier to (hopefully) prevent critters from entering the scope room from that route. Amazing how dirty the floor has become over the last 10 months, but once the exterior is done, I will put down some outdoor carpet or astro turf so that nastiness wont be visible. I still have to wire up the pier but that will be in the future.

IMG_20210724_121125377.jpg

Edited by ssagerian, 25 July 2021 - 12:25 PM.

• Travellingbears likes this

#131 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:38 AM

Steve,
Take my advice and don’t use astroturf or indoor outdoor carpet for your interior floor. It will be a dirt magnet. Instead consider interlocking rubber tiles. Lowe’s and Home Depot have them. Easily cleaned and protect eyepieces etc if dropped.
Ron Abbott

#132 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:38 AM

Steve,
Take my advice and don’t use astroturf or indoor outdoor carpet for your interior floor. It will be a dirt magnet. Instead consider interlocking rubber tiles. Lowe’s and Home Depot have them. Easily cleaned and protect eyepieces etc if dropped.
Ron Abbott

#133 ssagerian  Happy Birthday!

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 02:42 PM

Hi Ron, those black raised coin rubber interlocking tiles, look sharp, how do you clean them? Did you use adhesive to adhere them to the flooring or just let it float?

#134 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:32 PM

Steve,

This morning I browsed both the Lowes and Home Depot websites, looking at their offerings of interlocking rubber tile flooring. Didn't spot anything that was an exact match for what I bought at Lowes, but keep in mind that I bought it almost 17 yrs ago!  The closest matches were: Lowes: the Goodyear 20" X 20" Dark Gray rubber tiles, item number 2882090.  At Home Depot, the closest match was the Prosourceift 24" X 24" dark gray, item# PS-2293-rtt-bg.

My flooring is medium gray, 20" X 20" with a very fine anti-slip stippled surface.  I saw the raised coin type, and it looks like a good alternative.  The surface of these mats is fairly hard and is non-porous.

I clean mine with an ordinary vacuum, but if you don't have electrical, a battery powered vac would work as well. In a pinch you could use a broom, but it would require more effort.

My mats have held up fairly well. They are threadbare in a few heavy traffic areas, and have also picked up a few stains, but are just as serviceable today as when I put them in. I think they make the most sense.

I would think that the raised coin pattern would be easily cleaned with a vacuum.

Ron

#135 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:39 PM

Steve,

Oops, forgot to answer your second question.  The interlocking tiles just "float" over the plywood floor of the observatory.  I started at the outside edges and worked my way in towards the pier.  If carefully trimmed, they stay in place pretty well once interlocked.  Over the years, I've had a few spots where they buckled, but it was easily pressed back into place.

Ron

#136 ssagerian  Happy Birthday!

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• topic starter

Posted 29 August 2021 - 09:15 PM

Hello CNers,

I have been away for over a month, family and back to school tasks have kept me from the TSO. For the time being (short time actually), things have settled down and I can resume making improvements.

Today was kind of a reorientation of where I left things prior to the month long interruption and preparing for what comes next.

To summarize, I have finished framing and tyveking the soffits, I also completed making some mods on a electric winch which I will use to power the roof movements.

The remaining work on the exterior is to cover the soffits with vinyl, and close the exposed edges with facia trim.

After that,  its on to finishing the interior. That includes more dry-walling, raising the height of the pier, adding the winch, wiring up the power systems....omg, did I  think I was close to finishing?

It was good to get back to working on TSO, unfortunately after labor day, I will be interrupted again for a couple of weeks, more family and career moves (other people's,mine is about done).

I got some solid things accomplished, here is a pic of TSO, with the roof back,  I am really looking forward to puttering around in the shack, cleaning optics, doing routine maintenance , planning imaging sessions and just enjoying the blue skies..

IMG_20210829_134001805.jpg

• Scott Mitchell, mikerepp, gundark and 1 other like this

#137 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 31 August 2021 - 03:04 PM

Steve,
Looking good!!
Ron Abbott

#138 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:32 AM

Steve,
Just curious, have you gotten any more done since your last post?
Ron Abbott

#139 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 October 2021 - 05:46 PM

Steve,

Any updates on progress??

Ron Abbott

#140 ssagerian  Happy Birthday!

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 06:02 PM

Hi Ron and friends,

Sorry about the delay in responding. In August and September, I had a series of family tasks that I expected would take my focus off of any  work on the TSO. I had expected to be done by October but circumstances have dragged and delayed my return to working on TSO.

Given that, Im not expecting to resume work  until the last weekend in October, hopefully I will have a report of some new progress after the weekend of 10/30. The tasks taking up my time are family related (happy things), a combination of honey do items and launching my children on to their own careers ,  I am active, working and  in good health, nothing to worry about.

Clear Skies!

SteveS

• Scott Mitchell and OldManSky like this

#141 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 October 2021 - 09:25 AM

Steve,
Good to hear from you! Glad that all is well. Looking forward to your next post.
Ron Abbott

#142 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 October 2021 - 09:26 AM

Steve,
Good to hear from you! Glad that all is well. Looking forward to your next post.
Ron Abbott

#143 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 October 2021 - 01:09 PM

Hi Ron, those black raised coin rubber interlocking tiles, look sharp, how do you clean them? Did you use adhesive to adhere them to the flooring or just let it float?

Steve,

This morning I browsed both the Lowes and Home Depot websites, looking at their offerings of interlocking rubber tile flooring. Didn't spot anything that was an exact match for what I bought at Lowes, but keep in mind that I bought it almost 17 yrs ago!  The closest matches were: Lowes: the Goodyear 20" X 20" Dark Gray rubber tiles, item number 2882090.  At Home Depot, the closest match was the Prosourceift 24" X 24" dark gray, item# PS-2293-rtt-bg.

My flooring is medium gray, 20" X 20" with a very fine anti-slip stippled surface.  I saw the raised coin type, and it looks like a good alternative.  The surface of these mats is fairly hard and is non-porous.

I clean mine with an ordinary vacuum, but if you don't have electrical, a battery powered vac would work as well. In a pinch you could use a broom, but it would require more effort.

My mats have held up fairly well. They are threadbare in a few heavy traffic areas, and have also picked up a few stains, but are just as serviceable today as when I put them in. I think they make the most sense.

I would think that the raised coin pattern would be easily cleaned with a vacuum.

Ron

I've heard similar foam tiles are also available at feed stores for horse barns.  Since they aren't "people grade" they may be less expensive than what you find at Home Depot/ Lowes/ sporting goods stores.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics