•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

An Open Letter to all the Users of the "Uncle Rod" Yahoogroups

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2019 - 11:46 AM

Hi All:

As you no doubt know by now, Yahoogroups is for all intents and purposes shutting down. Oh, they are making some noises about keeping the email functions of the groups alive, but I doubt even that will last long. Most Yahoogroups are migrating to groups.io (although unfortunately it appears $$$ may now be involved).

What shall we do? Because of an accident I suffered in January, my participation in any of my Yahoogroups has waned. Frankly, recovery is taking a lot longer than I expected, and it was all, LITERLLY ALL, I could do over the last months to finish the manuscript of the 2nd Edition of my SCT book, Choosing and Using the New CATs. Before I got hurt, I'd also signed a contract to do a book on backyard deep sky observing. Maybe I could have delayed either, but I chose not to, and, for the first time, really had to struggle to get those manuscripts out the door (though I think both turned out well, and the new SCT book edition will be a big improvement in every way, I believe).

That being the case, I give my full blessing to anyone who wants to migrate or (maybe more practically) just restart any of my astronomy groups on another venue.

It’s not all bad for me. I am still writing for Sky & Telescope and was even able to get out (in my backyard) and do some observing and imaging for my next Test Report. I’m just not up to administering groups/starting them in a new place, especially considering the traffic on all of them, even SCT-user and Meade Uncensored, has been low, very low, compared to what it was in the glory days.

Guys, our astro-Yahoogroups had a great run, beginning years ago when I started SCT-User and Herb York gave me all the “uncensored” eGroups he’d started.  We did a lot and had a lot of fun times. I'll never forget some of the (occasionally kinda rowdy) in-person meetings we had at various star parties.

Anyhow, it’s been fun. See you on an observing field soon, I hope. If you have any questions or comments for me, feel free to PM me.

rod.jpg

(Uncle) Rod Mollise

• ArizonaScott, paul, George N and 14 others like this

#2 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 28 October 2019 - 12:14 PM

Hang in there, Rod.  We appreciate all that you've done to advance the hobby.  Hope that you get well soon.  

• paul, George N, JNDiller and 1 other like this

#3 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2019 - 12:29 PM

Hang in there, Rod.  We appreciate all that you've done to advance the hobby.  Hope that you get well soon.  

Thanks. I am doing quite a bit better. I'm even contemplating an observing project which might give the blog new life. :)

• MikeB 2, ianatcn, Anemone and 1 other like this

#4 petert913

petert913

Soyuz

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 28 October 2019 - 12:42 PM

Looking good, Uncle Rod !  I follow you on FB :)  Can't wait for the books.

#5 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:03 PM

Hoping to hear of your full and complete recovery soon. Best regards.

#6 vtornado

vtornado

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:04 PM

I have been reading your content for years, love your writing style and deep information.

I'm glad you are feeling better.

VT.

#7 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:29 PM

C14_EdgeHD  - will be saved, probably will be mostly an archive, and convert to unpaid status

Extreme_Astronomy - headed for extinction AFAIK

Losmandy_users - already up and running with 4000 members and dynamic participation

My local club grouop - up and running, dynamic

ALPO_Jupiter - looks like no savior in sight, heading for extinction (fairly dynamic group)

AP-UG - Astro-physics group, up and running

It is probably a good thing to have a shakeout of these groups.  The great Yahoo explosion following the great sci.astro.amateur implosion fragmented the astro community all over the place.

Thanks for all the energy you put into sct-user and I'm wishing you a speedy recovery. 

Greg N  

#8 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:45 PM

C14_EdgeHD  - will be saved, probably will be mostly an archive, and convert to unpaid status

Extreme_Astronomy - headed for extinction AFAIK

Losmandy_users - already up and running with 4000 members and dynamic participation

My local club grouop - up and running, dynamic

ALPO_Jupiter - looks like no savior in sight, heading for extinction (fairly dynamic group)

AP-UG - Astro-physics group, up and running

It is probably a good thing to have a shakeout of these groups.  The great Yahoo explosion following the great sci.astro.amateur implosion fragmented the astro community all over the place.

Thanks for all the energy you put into sct-user and I'm wishing you a speedy recovery. 

Greg N  

Thanks, Greg...and I believe you are correct that the time has come for a winnowing down of the astro-groups.  Cloudy Nights has made some of them pretty much superfluous--for quite a while. However, I think they would have fared better if Yahoo hadn't tried as hard as they possibly could to screw up their web interface to the point where it was almost unusable. smile.gif

Edited by rmollise, 28 October 2019 - 02:16 PM.

• JNDiller likes this

#9 StrStrck

StrStrck

Apollo

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 28 October 2019 - 02:01 PM

Love your shirt! “Death Starry Night” by van Sith, is it?!waytogo.gif

I wish you good luck onwards, may The Force litterally be with youJedi.gif

• ianatcn likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics