•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

1st Time Cleaning a Space Rock

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thesungazer

thesungazer

Sungazer

• topic starter
  • Loc: 1AU

Posted 28 October 2019 - 03:28 PM

I noticed my 1.8 kg Campo del Cielo used for outreach was getting rusty. I read through these forums to find a way to clean it up. I decided to use mark8888's cleaning procedure (modified a bit) using Calcium, Lime and Rust (CLR), alcohol and automatic transmission fluid.

I first used mineral spirits and a soft toothbrush to remove some sort of sticky lacquer that it was coated in. Next, I repeatedly used the CLR to brush way the rust followed with an alcohol rinse. Next, I baked it in the oven at 200 degrees for 4 hours to dry it out. Finally, it spent the night submerged in the ATF. Total cost was $16.

Probably could have used a few more iterations with the CLR but, it turned out pretty good for a meteorite newbie like me. grin.gif

Thanks to everyone that has posted cleaning help in this forum!

Before and after photos:

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg

• mark8888, Lukes1040, Barlowbill and 1 other like this

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 28 October 2019 - 04:12 PM

Nice!  Here's mine... I've never cleaned it... yet! But if I do... I'll try that/your procedure.   Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 106 toms meteorite.jpg

• thesungazer, mark8888 and j.gardavsky like this

#3 RyanSem

RyanSem

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 28 October 2019 - 05:24 PM

The pattern on the inside of that is incredible!

Now I'm looking up the price of buying my own.... 

• thesungazer likes this

#4 thesungazer

thesungazer

Sungazer

• topic starter
  • Loc: 1AU

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:19 AM

Nice display, Tom! 

Yes Ryan, that's one of the main reasons I bought it. I just hand it to kids during outreach and they love it. It gives them something to actually hold and opens up a whole new topic of conversation. Several vendors here on CN and AM. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics