•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

UK Stargazers Lounge (SGL) Star party cancelled

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:41 AM

Apparently the area used is underwater https://stargazerslo...ue-to-flooding/

Though not a SGL member or attending, my commiserations to everyone involved in its organising & who was looking forward to going. frown.gif

Edited by 25585, 31 October 2019 - 07:42 AM.

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:42 AM

I read about it, then read that it had been cancelled and out of curiosity looked at the location.

The campsite is by a major river and situated on the flood plain of the river, also in one of the wettest and cloudiest locations in the UK. Throw in that late October-early November is not noted for its fine dry weather, you do have to ask who organises these things.

One item on SGL I read was the planning of things they were doing, what was noticable was none involved observing.

Recall reading a few years back that they had managed half a nights observing in a week. Does seem to be a case of hold a star party in the wettest, cloudiest part of the UK and at a poor time of year with regards weather. The location is dark but really they need first clear skies then dark.

I do think someone needs to talk to whoever arranges the Kelling Heath ones about where and when. There must be somewhere in Somerset/Dorset/East Devon they could find. If further North and central then Oxfordshire. But the West side of the UK is a non-optimum choice. I used to live in Wiltshire and it was wet, but not as wet as South Wales is.

Does make me ask why FLO do not organise more with the NLO (Norman Lockyear Obs) at Sidmouth and arrange to host the SGL party there. At least one of the FLO people is a member of the NLO group. But the hill to NLO is a long climb up from Sidmouth. Just thought it is not a campsite so has no facilities.

Will be interesting to see what the future plans are but with the direction the weather here is taking I would say they have to change location for somewhere further East or at least East of the Pennines in effect. Or in the Southern counties of Devon, Dorset, Hampshire. Maybe the geographic center of England, apparently Fenny Drayton Leicestershire. So they have a CofE Star Party. But I suspect they need a slight rethink.

#3 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:04 PM

but not as wet as South Wales is.

To be fair, it only rains twice a year in the Cynon Valley, once for five months,  and then once again for seven months lol.

Nos Calan Gaeaf!

Edited by Shorty Barlow, 31 October 2019 - 01:06 PM.

#4 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 31 October 2019 - 04:00 PM

To be fair, it only rains twice a year in the Cynon Valley, once for five months,  and then once again for seven months lol.

Nos Calan Gaeaf!

I assume the 5 month shower is the warm summer one.

Australia,QLD, actually has warm rain - weird.

Always remember one of the programmes on Coast referred to Cornwall and Devon as the Storm Centre of the UK. The North Devon coast gets some bad storms/weather. The problem is that the weather front then generally heads up through Wales, Liverpool, Lake District then Glasgow and Western Scotland. You learn a lot of weather here.

The Irish saying of: If you can't see the hills it is raining, if you can see the hills it is going to rain. Comes to mind.

One person from mid Somerset who came to study over here said they had never experienced so many dry and clear days. Think the early Spring Siberian wind, Feburary, that hits East Anglia was a bit of a shock.

#5 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:49 PM

I assume the 5 month shower is the warm summer one.

Australia,QLD, actually has warm rain - weird.

Always remember one of the programmes on Coast referred to Cornwall and Devon as the Storm Centre of the UK. The North Devon coast gets some bad storms/weather. The problem is that the weather front then generally heads up through Wales, Liverpool, Lake District then Glasgow and Western Scotland. You learn a lot of weather here.

The Irish saying of: If you can't see the hills it is raining, if you can see the hills it is going to rain. Comes to mind.

One person from mid Somerset who came to study over here said they had never experienced so many dry and clear days. Think the early Spring Siberian wind, Feburary, that hits East Anglia was a bit of a shock.

I don't live in Wales anymore, there are things I miss, the rain isn't one of them!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics