•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Telrad Mounting?

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:13 PM

Has anyone advice how to mount a Telrad to the 8" LX 90 other than the included sticky tape?

I  certainly do not want to drill a new hole..nothing like particles getting into the OTA. ;)

I've considered a long pre-drilled strap and simply attach to the pre-drilled OTA holes; kinda' like 

how the counter weight rail works.

Sticky tape on a that beautiful blue tube? Say it ain't so.

#2 Sam M

Sam M

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:22 PM

I haven't tried these yet, but they seem legit...

https://www.cloudyni...vetail-adapter/

I'd double check that it's the right fit for the Meade.  I think they make both.

Edited by Sam M, 31 October 2019 - 01:27 PM.

• Blackbelt76 likes this

#3 dcollier

dcollier

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:24 PM

Some options 

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_tell.htm

Dave 

• WarmWeatherGuy, M57Guy and Blackbelt76 like this

#4 HarryRik9

HarryRik9

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:04 PM

I bought some flexible rubber magnets with tape and attached the magnets to the bottom of the Telrad. Michaels craft Store was where I got the magnets.
  • NickInSac and Blackbelt76 like this

#5 petert913

petert913

Soyuz

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:36 PM

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of sticking stuff to my OTA with adhesive tape.  Yuck.  Those vixen-shoe type mounts described are great.

#6 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Albany, California, USA

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:44 PM

Mine is sitting on that original sticky tape (affixed to the side of the 12" Steel OTA Dob under the focuser right in the field at the GSSP 2010 dark skies) for 9+ years. No complaints from using it every clear night. I do have a 3D printer for 6 years already and never had even a slight desire to print something what might be better grin.gif

T001.jpg

Just paint your tape in blue. Mine is so dark from dust that I can barely notice it's there smirk.gif (However, the white color still visible on the inside helps with the mounting in the dark without a flashlight).

Hate goo and drillbits? Then my usual advice: long zip tie.

Regarding my Telrad location on the OTA. It's not for the folks using Telrad as a glorified red dot finder (RDF). It's for the pattern matching technique of pointing with Telrad (TPM).

Edited by halx, 31 October 2019 - 03:06 PM.

• havasman, Stevegeo and Blackbelt76 like this

#7 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:13 AM

I've found it holds pretty well with just one tube screw, as long as I don't get too rough with it.

Downside is that I installed it at the back of the OTA.

It doesn't interfere with my access to the EP, but my own body heat from my head does cause dew to form sooner than the main optics or finder.

#8 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston

Posted 09 November 2019 - 11:30 AM

Has anyone advice how to mount a Telrad to the 8" LX 90 other than the included sticky tape?

I  certainly do not want to drill a new hole..nothing like particles getting into the OTA. wink.gif

I've considered a long pre-drilled strap and simply attach to the pre-drilled OTA holes; kinda' like 

how the counter weight rail works.

Sticky tape on a that beautiful blue tube? Say it ain't so.

I used double sided mounting tape and daisy chained several zip ties together to make it around the ota for backup.   

FYI the mounting tape is easy to remove with wd40. 

#9 Mike Van Buskirk

Mike Van Buskirk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hayward, CA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:04 PM

The sticky tape wont hurt anything.
I removed the old Telrad base on mine and put on a new one.

#10 Mike Van Buskirk

Mike Van Buskirk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hayward, CA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:05 PM

FYI the mounting tape is easy to remove with wd40.

I heated it with a hairdryer and then ran a piece of thread between my hands down the length of the base. Came right off.
  • halx likes this

#11 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Ranger 4

Posted 27 November 2019 - 04:46 PM

I literally just mounted a Telrad on my 1970's Classic Orange C8 about 20 minutes ago.  I had it mounted for approximately 10 minutes when I bumped it, and it fell off and took two huge strips of orange pebble finish paint right off the the tube.

This WAS a pristine tube with no chips.

So yeah I'm a little angry.

It's probably OK for an LX90. Meade's paint is quite a bit better than the classic orange C8.

Edited by Tom Stock, 27 November 2019 - 04:47 PM.

#12 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 27 November 2019 - 06:51 PM

I literally just mounted a Telrad on my 1970's Classic Orange C8 about 20 minutes ago.  I had it mounted for approximately 10 minutes when I bumped it, and it fell off and took two huge strips of orange pebble finish paint right off the the tube.

It's probably OK for an LX90. Meade's paint is quite a bit better than the classic orange C8.

On those old orange tube you should use a scotchbrite pad, prep the surface and repaint.  Oranges & reds were always bad for degrading back then due to the oxides in the paint.  

#13 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Ranger 4

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:45 PM

On those old orange tube you should use a scotchbrite pad, prep the surface and repaint.  Oranges & reds were always bad for degrading back then due to the oxides in the paint.  

Thanks. I did actually pick up some spray paint which is nearly an exact match.

#14 M57Guy

M57Guy

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 28 November 2019 - 03:44 PM

Bummer. Great example of why the scopestuff bases linked above are a good option.

#15 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Albany, California, USA

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:18 PM

I wouldn't think so given the age of the "specimen" :) Anything metal over 20 y/o requires a very special attention.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics