•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Field Ranger 3.5

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:47 PM

This recent appearance of a Questar Field Ranger 3.5 on eBay prompted me to wonder about the general characteristics of this model. Out of all the current offerings that Questar makes available, is the Field Ranger the closest thing that Questar makes that is most comparable to, say, the current Celestron C90 or Orion's 90mm Apex? Aside from obvious variations in quality between a handmade and mass produced scopes, it seems to me that the Field Ranger is maybe the least complex Questar that is out there for this size category. I'm thinking specifically in terms of a lack of control box.

Would one be able to achieve focus if a 90-degree diagonal were placed in the visual back? Can one even put a 90-degree diagonal in the visual back? Is the Field Ranger's "visual back" indeed a visual back? I see that the Questar Brandons thread into it, raising questions in my mind about whether someone could attach a standard 1 1/4" diagonal. Or is the Field Ranger designed only to accept an eyepiece with no diagonal?

Questar clearly this scope with surveillance applications in mind. But that in itself doesn't necessarily mean that it can't be used as an astronomical observing instrument.

I should add that these questions are purely academic on my part. I don't have any interest in pursuing this scope for purchase. Instead, I'm merely curious.

• Astroman007 likes this

#2 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:30 PM

This spec sheet should be helpful.

#3 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:51 PM

The spec sheet for the Field Ranger 3.5 as posted on Questar's website indicates that the effective focal length is "1175 mm video/1475 mm with Image Erector."

Considering that this scope can accept an image erector, I would think it would also be able to accept a diagonal. Also, I'm assuming that, since the focal length varies quite a bit as a result of the primary mirror moving back and forth, one has a bit of wiggle room to be able to achieve focus with or without a diagonal in place.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics