•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi Starbase 80 - My User Notes

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#26 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximénez - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:54 PM

It was a thoughtful and useful review.

Moreover, as far as I know, none of us are on the payroll to review telescopes. Let alone on a deadline.

Also, I realize that the eyepieces with this kit are held in high regard but, please remember, that posting private correspondence (like EMails) is against the terms of service. So, unless someone can find an open source description of these eyepieces then it may have to remain one of those mysteries.

Edited by Ken Sturrock, 04 November 2019 - 11:10 AM.

• Doug Culbertson, Redbetter, IMB and 1 other like this

#27 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Skylab

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:16 AM

And I am waiting for your sincere apology. It looks like we are both going to have to live with disappointment. There's absolutely no way in heaven or hell I will ever read or respond to any of your questions or posts again. Please take this opportunity to go take a flying jump in the lake.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Ralph.  You didn't answer any of his questions, you contend that the Starbase Orthos are made in China and have an email to prove it, yet you don't or can't produce it.  I talked to Tak America and they said the eyepieces, as well as the rest of the scope are made in Japan.

You say it shows CA on some of the brightest objects in the heavens, Jupiter and Sirius.  Are you surprised by that?  Short APOs do the same thing.  You compare it to an f/15 80mm scope and an ED scope, and then says it has more CA.  Are you surprised by that as well?

I think that is why Ralph and I have questions about your review.  Instead of getting angry, just answer the questions.  Please.

• Ohmless likes this

#28 eros312

eros312

Messenger

• Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 04 November 2019 - 11:24 AM

Question.  Do the rings have 1/4-20 threads on the bottom? Or do you have to use the included mount only.  Thanks!

#29 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:32 PM

"aa6ww has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "Takahashi Starbase 80 - My User Notes".
This review is sounding more and more flakey everytime i read and reread this review. Do we already have Starbase haters out here.
I no longer take this review as anything but some type of low level bashing.  There are too too many holes in this review.

FAKE!

...Ralph"

Are you kidding me? I said it's a basically good scope, it just simply isn't the miracle worker some claim it is. It's a good, mass-produced 80mm f/10 achromat. It shows about as much chromatic aberration as the very good Vixen 80mm f/11 achromats which is a positive as those are good scopes.

I don't "hate" Takahashi telescopes, I am a huge fan with a house full of them (along with many other telescopes) and a fortune invested in their equipment. I also have over half a century of experience. No wonder people don't want to post equipment reviews. Good grief, who wants to deal with this kind of nonsense?

I most definitely did not bash it, I have been providing honest details on what I actually saw. I have even taken pictures to show what I am seeing. If you don't like the results, that isn't my fault and it most certainly isn't a reason to attack the reviewer. I so firmly stand behind what I said, I have offered to meet with people to show them the views through these scopes so they can judge for themselves.

This is a very nice, but very average telescope. I am so sorry if people don't like this and choose to react by attacking the reviewer. You didn't even wait to read the full review, you just jumped all over me and engaged in brutal name-calling. I am so done with dealing with this kind of behavior, it's inexcusable.

I agree with you here.  Bear in mind that 'round these parts, *certain* companies can NOT be given any negative feedback, criticism or anything other than glowing praise. ;)

• Binojunky and OneGear like this

#30 edif300

edif300

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Basque Country

Posted 04 November 2019 - 03:25 PM

"aa6ww has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "Takahashi Starbase 80 - My User Notes".
This review is sounding more and more flakey everytime i read and reread this review. Do we already have Starbase haters out here.
I no longer take this review as anything but some type of low level bashing.  There are too too many holes in this review.

FAKE!

...Ralph"

Are you kidding me? I said it's a basically good scope, it just simply isn't the miracle worker some claim it is. It's a good, mass-produced 80mm f/10 achromat. It shows about as much chromatic aberration as the very good Vixen 80mm f/11 achromats which is a positive as those are good scopes.

I don't "hate" Takahashi telescopes, I am a huge fan with a house full of them (along with many other telescopes) and a fortune invested in their equipment. I also have over half a century of experience. No wonder people don't want to post equipment reviews. Good grief, who wants to deal with this kind of nonsense?

I most definitely did not bash it, I have been providing honest details on what I actually saw. I have even taken pictures to show what I am seeing. If you don't like the results, that isn't my fault and it most certainly isn't a reason to attack the reviewer. I so firmly stand behind what I said, I have offered to meet with people to show them the views through these scopes so they can judge for themselves.

This is a very nice, but very average telescope. I am so sorry if people don't like this and choose to react by attacking the reviewer. You didn't even wait to read the full review, you just jumped all over me and engaged in brutal name-calling. I am so done with dealing with this kind of behavior, it's inexcusable.

In fact, when the Starbase-80 was first introduced in japan some years ago, Starbase states by a clear remark that the Starbase-80 is not a Takahashi product.

I provided the link several times here in CN, I even asked to Starbase staff regarding to this and they are very clear to this question.

Thanks for providing your honest review about this fine introductory achromat Starbase 80.

• OneGear likes this

#31 edif300

edif300

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 November 2019 - 03:30 PM

https://www.cloudyni...e-us/?p=9683967

#32 payner

payner

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bluegrass Region & Cumberland Valley, Kentucky

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:36 PM

I appreciate Takahashi's dedication to the amateur community and long standing traditions of making a product that gets out of the way. I also appreciate these reviews and respect those for posting as they see it. Of course everyone(?) here knows these are not claimed to be Takahashi telescopes, but one they are willing to be associated with in what I'd like to believe is a good faith effort to get folks off on the right foot in this hobby.
I think the answer why people think so highly of Takahashi is merit based. Specifically, their designs and optical characteristics provide those answers. However, the nagging of peoples' expression of joy and appreciation for their Taks is too getting old and annoying. There are other brands of telescopes, in particular, where one will get flamed for offering anything but praise. I'm fine with that. It would be interesting to know what incenses people so much with this particular company's following; it seems to be a passion to itself.

• edif300, Edrow10, SandyHouTex and 1 other like this

#33 edif300

edif300

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:14 AM

Regarding to Starbase refractor seem to be a particular talk about Takahashi and some other smoking istories other than to Starbase80 itself and its proper manufacturer. Thanks to one user of starbase80 wrote to what he saw through his Starbase80 to get a plenty out off contraditory content with no sens.
  • OneGear likes this

#34 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Australia

Posted 05 November 2019 - 05:58 AM

I thought the OP expressed his experience with the scope rather well.  He seems to give a realistic review of what to expect from this neat looking little scope.

If you don't like his review buy one of the scopes and give us your version..... but don't attack the reviewer, these are his opinions and experiences with the item....

The name Takahashi raises quite some different viewpoints on this forum. The same scope with Scopetech livery would hardly raise an eyebrow here on the forums yet the optics are the same and the performance is the same. Some want so very much this Scopetech to be the Takahashi they have always wanted, same for the eyepieces, yet under their Scopetech moniker they would be lost in the mire on this forum. 

Call them Takahashi and all of a sudden they are nearly the same as the real thing.  Takahashi America obviously are happy to fuel the fire if they can sell as many as possible, they're business to sell scopes...

Personally I like the look of the scope, the colour is a great selling point.....  would I buy one for myself, I doubt it.... but I would like to look through one just the same.

Edited by Kunama, 05 November 2019 - 05:59 AM.

• Doug Culbertson, edif300, payner and 7 others like this

#35 dmgriff

dmgriff

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 30 degrees latitude, USA

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:41 AM

As far as the ep lens manufactured in China, if the eyepiece barrel is stamped "Japan" then I think they are of Japanese manufacture. If there are no indications on the barrel, then the lens may be of China manufacture.

Good viewing,

Dave 

#36 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Skylab

Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:36 AM

Question.  Do the rings have 1/4-20 threads on the bottom? Or do you have to use the included mount only.  Thanks!

I'll check that when I get home.

#37 starmason

starmason

Explorer 1

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:34 PM

My Starbase 80 should arrive in a couple of days and I will test it with it's existing eyepieces and my TV 2x Barlow - depending on "seeing" conditions.  I purchased a new old stock  "vintage" Meade 30mm finder scope mounted on a nice metal mounting bracket with a base similar to the Starbase 80 finder/bracket, except the color won't be the cool Tak-ish green.  Hope the holes line up and it works okay on the focuser tube extension bolts.  The only scope to compare it to is my treasured TV Pronto.  I will even try observing with my Baader amici prism diagonal to see if that offers some improvement over the diagonal shipped with the SB 80.  Since the Pronto is considered an "improved achromat" or early example of some type of ED glass (in which no source of that glass I could  ever find posted), it should offer similar viewing characteristics in color correction, sharpness and contrast (I would assume?).  May not be "apples to apples" in aperture and focal length but I'll give it at try and have some fun with it.  After all if we can't have some fun with these optical toys, why bother to observe with them?  Purchased it for use during public outreach events and quick grab and go fun whenever possible.

I don't expect this to be a "Takahashi" telescope, just a "retro" looking well constructed medium length refractor with well configured air spaced doublet - at least similar to the high quality which my Japanese made Celestron-Vixen 80mm F11 offered me many nights during all 4 seasons.  Really miss that wonderful scope!  For the price this should be better than the Chinese made Meade and Celestron 80mm telescopes being sold between $200 - $300 dollars with plenty of plastic parts, cheap eyepieces and diagonal.  If this isn't as good as the Orion 90mm chinese sourced EQ1 scope system, then I will be very disappointed.

Now the overland shipping begins from Texas......and hoping that the UPS service treats this parcel with due respect.  I saw pics of the open box with all parts included inside and the lack of sturdy packing materials to prevent shaking worries me somewhat. 

Does this thing ship "double boxed" or just with that flimsy looking single walled corrigated packing box?  Always something to worry about with a new telescope on it’s way...

hoping to enjoy the Mercury Transit with this retro refractor..

Cheers,

Geo

Edited by starmason, 06 November 2019 - 12:37 AM.

• payner, GlenM, KerryR and 2 others like this

#38 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Skylab

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:55 PM

My Starbase 80 should arrive in a couple of days and I will test it with it's existing eyepieces and my TV 2x Barlow - depending on "seeing" conditions.  I purchased a new old stock  "vintage" Meade 30mm finder scope mounted on a nice metal mounting bracket with a base similar to the Starbase 80 finder/bracket, except the color won't be the cool Tak-ish green.  Hope the holes line up and it works okay on the focuser tube extension bolts.  The only scope to compare it to is my treasured TV Pronto.  I will even try observing with my Baader amici prism diagonal to see if that offers some improvement over the diagonal shipped with the SB 80.  Since the Pronto is considered an "improved achromat" or early example of some type of ED glass (in which no source of that glass I could  ever find posted), it should offer similar viewing characteristics in color correction, sharpness and contrast (I would assume?).  May not be "apples to apples" in aperture and focal length but I'll give it at try and have some fun with it.  After all if we can't have some fun with these optical toys, why bother to observe with them?  Purchased it for use during public outreach events and quick grab and go fun whenever possible.

I don't expect this to be a "Takahashi" telescope, just a "retro" looking well constructed medium length refractor with well configured air spaced doublet - at least similar to the high quality which my Japanese made Celestron-Vixen 80mm F11 offered me many nights during all 4 seasons.  Really miss that wonderful scope!  For the price this should be better than the Chinese made Meade and Celestron 80mm telescopes being sold between $200 - $300 dollars with plenty of plastic parts, cheap eyepieces and diagonal.  If this isn't as good as the Orion 90mm chinese sourced EQ1 scope system, then I will be very disappointed.

Now the overland shipping begins from Texas......and hoping that the UPS service treats this parcel with due respect.  I saw pics of the open box with all parts included inside and the lack of sturdy packing materials to prevent shaking worries me somewhat. 

Does this thing ship "double boxed" or just with that flimsy looking single walled corrigated packing box?  Always something to worry about with a new telescope on it’s way...

hoping to enjoy the Mercury Transit with this retro refractor..

Cheers,

Geo

Unfortunately it doesn’t get shipped “double boxed”, but there is a lot of styrofoam blocks to protect it.  I think mine came Fedex, which I always request, because they have a better track record with me than UPS.

It is a much higher quality scope than the Chinese ones.  I have a Celestron Astromaster which has a junk mount, focuser, diagonal, etc.  It was like $100.  The Tak Starbase is pretty much all metal.  The focuser is much better.  The eyepieces are great, so much so that I bought the rest of them.  The locks and slo-mos on the mount work great.  I think you’ll really enjoy it.

• starmason and paul m schofield like this

#39 starmason

starmason

Explorer 1

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:58 PM

Unfortunately it doesn’t get shipped “double boxed”, but there is a lot of styrofoam blocks to protect it.  I think mine came Fedex, which I always request, because they have a better track record with me than UPS.

It is a much higher quality scope than the Chinese ones.  I have a Celestron Astromaster which has a junk mount, focuser, diagonal, etc.  It was like $100.  The Tak Starbase is pretty much all metal.  The focuser is much better.  The eyepieces are great, so much so that I bought the rest of them.  The locks and slo-mos on the mount work great.  I think you’ll really enjoy it.

Mine is coming via UPS so I am hoping it is handled with care.  Should arrive Friday and will observe the Mercury Transit with it on Monday - using the supplied modified orthos and diagonal with my Kendrick Solar cap filter installed.  Should be a good contrast test with a tiny dot transiting Sol!  Will also try out my Baader Zoom Mark 4 in both diagonals.

Will also try some nature viewing with my Baader amici prism diagonal to scan the scenery at Jones Beach where my Astro club will be gathering to view the transit.  Hopefully the clouds clear up and we all enjoy the viewing. 

If the ep’s have similar quality to my dearly departed UO orthos I may purchase a few more of them for lunar viewing.

• SandyHouTex likes this

#40 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Skylab

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:25 AM

Mine is coming via UPS so I am hoping it is handled with care.  Should arrive Friday and will observe the Mercury Transit with it on Monday - using the supplied modified orthos and diagonal with my Kendrick Solar cap filter installed.  Should be a good contrast test with a tiny dot transiting Sol!  Will also try out my Baader Zoom Mark 4 in both diagonals.

Will also try some nature viewing with my Baader amici prism diagonal to scan the scenery at Jones Beach where my Astro club will be gathering to view the transit.  Hopefully the clouds clear up and we all enjoy the viewing. 

If the ep’s have similar quality to my dearly departed UO orthos I may purchase a few more of them for lunar viewing.

Good luck.  Where I'm at in south of Houston they're calling for 50% chance of rain on Monday.

#41 starmason

starmason

Explorer 1

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:41 PM

Good luck.  Where I'm at in south of Houston they're calling for 50% chance of rain on Monday.

Hope your weather improves for Monday.  Will you be using your Starbase 80? 

Our weather experts are forecasting "party cloudy" (or "sunny" if thinking positive) - so this may be similar weather when our Astronomy Club viewed the Transit of Venus - close to the same area we were stationed at Jones Beach Long Island's south shore.  I experienced less than 5 minutes of "clear" viewing during that transit with the clouds hanging around.

Hoping for the best.....and "CLEAR SKIES". 

#42 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Skylab

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:22 AM

Hope your weather improves for Monday.  Will you be using your Starbase 80? 

Our weather experts are forecasting "party cloudy" (or "sunny" if thinking positive) - so this may be similar weather when our Astronomy Club viewed the Transit of Venus - close to the same area we were stationed at Jones Beach Long Island's south shore.  I experienced less than 5 minutes of "clear" viewing during that transit with the clouds hanging around.

Hoping for the best.....and "CLEAR SKIES". 

No.  I have a Lunt pressure-tuned solar Ha scope I'll use for it, assuming I get to see it.

I don't have a Hershel wedge for the Starbase.

#43 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Skylab

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:41 AM

I don't see CA in most of the ED doublets I have owned. Only a few had it. I had a Apertura 102mm F7 which had FK-61 glass. It was pretty good, but it did show CA on bright objects. Slightly better than achromats, but still there. I also had a Astrotech 72mm (original one) F6 I believe. That one showed the same thing and I think it was the same type of glass. The new 72mm should not show this though from Astrotech I would guess.

Every other one I have owned has shown almost zero CA (especially in focus): TV85, Vixen 81s, 103s, 130SS, Astrotech 60ED, TeleVue 60mm, William Optics Zenithstar FD 80mm. 

So I don't think it would be accurate to say it will work similar to an ED doublet of shorter focal ratio...unless that ED doublet used a lesser glass.

All that being said, I'm sure this is a nice scope for what it is.

• Bomber Bob, BFaucett, Redbetter and 1 other like this

#44 starmason

starmason

Explorer 1

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:41 PM

My Starbase80 arrived today. I assembled it and observed the moon with the supplied
Diagonal lower power ortho eyepiece. There was a slight green tinge around the outer limb at times when moving my eye around in the eyepiece. The view was sharp and the lunar
color a natural white with no discoloration. Craters sharp and well defined. The other
surface features were also well defined at this power. The provided peep site finder
system is useless at night and the Meade new old stock 30mm finder I bought to use on this scope would not mount properly so I will order the one they offer for the SB80 as this
scope requires a reliable finder. Stars are pinpoint.
I replaced the supplied diagonal with my Baader amici prism diagonal. Lunar views were
sharp and enjoyable with my ES 68degree 16mm eyepiece. I prefer the Baader diagonal
The alt az mount works well. The system is lightweight and the slow mo controls work well.
Weather was cold and I packed up everything for the night. May check out Orion Nebula
Later...
  • GOLGO13, belgrade, eros312 and 6 others like this

#45 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:18 AM

I replaced the supplied diagonal with my Baader amici prism diagonal.

What is the supplied diagonal?

#46 starmason

starmason

Explorer 1

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:42 AM

Redbetter, on 09 Nov 2019 - 12:18 AM, said:

Looks like a well made black painted metal mirror diagonal.  EP’s remind me of that solid Japan sourced Ortho line from University Optics.  Should never have sold my complete set.  These are close to that vintage volcano head design though.  

Some pics included.

Geo, LI, NY

Attached Thumbnails

• CEAFCDE1-D401-4E46-BB09-591A4761CA2A.jpeg
  • 26EAC822-2C77-4BAD-B145-A534301F12EF.jpeg

• SandyHouTex and Ohmless like this

#47 starmason

starmason

Explorer 1

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:09 AM

Well, I solved my “finder mounting problem”!   Dug through my inventory of useful parts and found an “eBay inexpensive” red dot unit finder including the plastic base with two holes that match the SB80 threaded posts on the focuser.  Also found a (bought-on-impulse to maybe need in the future?) Surplus Shed 26mm composite material 6x26? finder with two holed mounting stalk.  Just made it in depth to allow for the nuts to thread on enough.  A “slam dunk”🤩!   So now the scope is complete and I won’t have to depend on that “peep sight” which I couldn’t sight in the moon with last night.  So now I can use either a unit or glass finder as needed.  Cheap alternatives to the cool retro-looking finder. 🔭

Clear skies, Geo, LI, NY🌌

Attached Thumbnails

• 44D93810-BF86-4DE6-A66D-66FCED180939.jpeg
  • 732C0933-1C47-4AEF-A900-5FD11EF69DDF.jpeg

• SandyHouTex, paul m schofield and mikeDnight like this

#48 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:29 PM

Redbetter, on 09 Nov 2019 - 12:18 AM, said:

Looks like a well made black painted metal mirror diagonal.  EP’s remind me of that solid Japan sourced Ortho line from University Optics.  Should never have sold my complete set.  These are close to that vintage volcano head design though.  

Some pics included.

Geo, LI, NY

Thanks.  I had assumed it was not the Tak prism and this confirms that.  If it had been the Tak prism it would have offset the cost of the package somewhat.

That diagonal looks a little odd to me in two regards:

• It reminds me of some undersized 1.25" mirror diagonals that look like they were adaptations of 0.965", but with a better housing in this instance.  The tip off is the 1.25" nosepiece and eyepiece holder appear to be wider than the diagonal body. 
  • I can't tell for sure from the image, but it looks like it has an aggressively narrow aperture stop, which would be necessary with an undersized mirror as well. 

That ubiquitous Celestron RDF package has all those finder feet options, makes it easy to find a fit to most tubes.

#49 starmason

starmason

Explorer 1

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:50 PM

For this price point the Tak prism diagonal would not make any sense as this is NOT a Takahashi made telescope.

works well though.

g

#50 starmason

starmason

Explorer 1

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:47 PM

This is a good quality starter scope metal  diagonal.  Much better than what Meade and Celestron includes with the their Chinese sourced beginner refractor telescope systems.  May be a .965 converted design, but with narrow FOV eyepieces included, it does it’s job as it was designed to do.  I also observed with my Baader prism diagonal with 16mm 68degree eyepiece and a vintage 7mm Nagler EP with which the scope provided stunning views of the moon and some doubles last night.  

Edited by starmason, 09 November 2019 - 05:53 PM.

• payner likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics